Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Adventure Van: Bed / Table Platform Finally Complete!

7K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Hedge 
#1 · (Edited)
After working on my bed platform for close to a year it's finally done! So many redos, adjustments, and trips to home depot!

Let me know what you guys think of the platform as I'm thinking of building a few more if there is interest. Would this be something you'd want in your van?

Sky Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Molle panels for easy access to van goods. Water bottle holders, medical pouch, trash and storage bags.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Sky Vehicle Automotive design

Sleeps two adults comfortably with plenty of headroom when sitting up. Platform is also easy to remove with two adults. Stock seats can easily be put back.
Grille Hood Window Automotive lighting Vehicle

Lot of storage space under the benches. (Currently houses 2 camp chairs, pillows, blankets, tea pot, coleman stove, Ecoflow battery, tools, van jack and other miscellaneous goods)
Hood Blue Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Sitting inside to change into my wetsuit or moto gear when it's cold outside is a plus :)
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

Cold foam memory cushions (no topper needed)
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Center pops up to reveal a work table that's comfortable for two. Perfect for laptop usage or grabbing meals inside.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

Mini lanterns are by Barebones Living... really like them!
Water Plant Automotive design Rectangle Sunlight

Water Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Automotive design

Moto carrier has good ground clearance now after the 2" lift
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Sky

See less See more
#7 ·
Very nice!!

I did not expect the pop up table with benches on both sides, when I saw the bed with storage underneath.
Very functional and practical.
I was contemplating doing a small center box that slid out but opted to keep the center open to be able to slide long items in from the rear doors. Mainly keep my exterior camp table and battery in the center for easy access.

#8 ·
Beautiful work!! The table is very clever -

Reactions: Hedge
#17 · (Edited)
Thanks dude! I just read your post on your lift kit install. I did the the same lift combo with new bearings a few months back but kept the sway bars links stock, hope they will be ok. Do you feel an improvement with the cross drilled rotors and pads? I'm carrying more weight now and feel like I could use a little more braking power.

#18 ·
Best things about this build - for me, the Metris is really an ideal 2p camper van. This layout takes advantage of all practical and useable space, with flexible storage. No need to cut the roof. I can envision sliding in and out of the bench seats & table without the need to stand up. While I love the idea of headroom and pop tops are of course, awesome! But to cram 3-4 sardines into a sliding bench/bed downstairs and upstairs seems like a stretch for a mid size van. Especially with all the gear 3+ Individuals add to a road trip, storage would be a real issue.

#20 · (Edited)
Yes agreed! My setup does lose the ability to family camp but it's the perfect two person adventure van with plenty of gear space. Sliding in and out of the bench seats is a cinch and I have plenty of room to get changed inside while sitting down at the edge of the bed.

I had rented a poptop Metris from Outdoorsy a few years ago and while it was really nice to pop the top, I couldn't justify the $15k install cost for my build.

#21 · (Edited)
Thank you for the compliment!

Not having to pitch or break down a large tent or bringing bulky sleeping cots is such a plus! My favorite thing about the Metris is that I no longer have to strap my longboards on top for weekly surf sessions. Just slide them down the middle, such a time saver :)

#22 ·
This is a really awesome professional build. I also like the design of the pop-up table. It's probably really sturdy due to the one side being supported by the plywood and two hinges. Having the cushions being a back rest seems like a great idea and probably super cosy for an indoor meal or playing a card game. The lanterns are a great solution to the missing lights in the ceiling handles. I need to have a look at those mini lanterns for myself.

#26 ·
@Hedge warm glow sounds better, especially in the evenings when you don't want to be awakened by bright white light. I'm probably going to get a set.

I wasn't aware you being able to get black powdered coating aluminum extrusions. For some reason I thought the anodization would be more durable. I'll have to investigate for my build. What size 80/20 did you use?

#29 ·
After working on my bed platform for close to a year it's finally done! So many redos, adjustments, and trips to home depot!

Let me know what you guys think of the platform as I'm thinking of building a few more if there is interest. Would this be something you'd want in your van?
Great design work! It shows a lot of careful thought put into it (e.g., the butterfly hinged lids).
What is the height of the bed platform? And what is the thickness of your foam pads?

I could be interested, if you do plan on building additional sets.

#30 ·
Great design work! It shows a lot of careful thought put into it (e.g., the butterfly hinged lids).
What is the height of the bed platform? And what is the thickness of your foam pads?

I could be interested, if you do plan on building additional sets.
Hey thank you! I can't remember the frame height off the top of my head but it should probably be customized to your sitting height. The seat cushions are 3". I may be building out more if there is interest or sell the plans and provide my vendor contacts. DM me if interested and I'll keep you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.