Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if anyone has added wheelchair restraints to a passenger van? This involves only (4) 8mm through-bolts with a small backing plate under the floor, however in the location I need, I’ll have to drop the gas tank and cat converter for install. The local upfitters seem to be afraid of the gas tank. Does anyone have experience in this?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
793 Posts
I need to drop my tank to install a 4th rail. Just haven't gotten to it yet. From discussions with people who have and a thread here on dropping the tank to install a tap on the tank for a webasto heater it's doesn't look hard.

I have heard though that clearance might be a consideration for bolt and nut through the structure above the tank.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
332 Posts
I lower my tank about 4 inches, but did not disconnect any hoses or fittings on top of the tank. (I was was having problems getting my Webasto heater to fire up after paying a company to run the fuel line.) Getting to that point was not overly difficult. The tank is long so its a bit of a challenge to lower it without the gas running to one end. I couldn't tell ho much room there was on top of the tank but you could probably figure that out by removing the brackets "installing" the tank on a sheet of plywood.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Why would you go to the trouble of installing extra anchors? Use the rails that are already installed, I believe there are some common anchors that will fit in the floor rails. Search for L-track and wheelchair, you’ll find a bunch even some on Amazon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I got under it today and it doesn’t appear that difficult. I wish I could use the existing seat rails to hold a wheelchair but the bars for the seats aren’t in the right place and I don’t think hooking a s-hook to the aluminum top is secure enough. It looks like cargo vans might have L-track but mine doesn’t.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think you might have misunderstood, or I didn’t communicate clearly.

See those silver rails? That’s an L track, they are the same things that are used to mount your seats to the van. See the thing attached to the L track? That’s an automatic retractable tie down built by Qstraint to the new WC18 standard. They are built to lock into the series of circles and channels of the L track in order to secure and prevent the movement of a wheelchair. Now, this setup only works of course if your wheelchair is equipped with a DOT approved harness. Otherwise, you also need an attachment point for the top of a three point safety harness to secure your passenger in addition to the four point restraint system for the chair. In that case, I don’t know of a good anchor point for the top of the three point harness. I’m not trying to be an ass, I’m just trying to save you some effort and maybe some cash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not offended at all, but mine has these seat rails not L track. The QStraint slide and click is a single bolt so I would install it between these two rails up close to the second row seat seen here. Also gives the option of putting the third row seat in instead of securing the wheels.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ah, ha! I had forgotten that I changed my seats and rails. I had just gotten so used to what mine currently look like that I totally forgot how they were originally. 100% my fault, sorry.

·
Premium Member
TBD
53 Posts
Ah, ha! I had forgotten that I changed my seats and rails. I had just gotten so used to what mine currently look like that I totally forgot how they were originally. 100% my fault, sorry.
Did you change your rails yourself? I would like to, but just want to see what all is involved. Is there an option to use the fasteners used for the Metris rail? There are so many more options with the aircraft rail.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
793 Posts
Did you change your rails yourself? I would like to, but just want to see what all is involved. Is there an option to use the fasteners used for the Metris rail? There are so many more options with the aircraft rail.
I bought the sliding Vito rails. These are also L track.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
793 Posts
Sort of. The Metris seats don't have the sliding mechanism latches, but they can be repositioned.

·
Premium Member
TBD
53 Posts
Sort of. The Metris seats don't have the sliding mechanism latches, but they can be repositioned.
Please forgive my inability to grasp this. With the Vito floor rails, it appears there are the carriages the ride and lock in place. And it appears the Metris seat will be able to lock into those carriages. What prevents them from sliding and locking into multiple positions?

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
793 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
793 Posts
Please forgive my inability to grasp this. With the Vito floor rails, it appears there are the carriages the ride and lock in place. And it appears the Metris seat will be able to lock into those carriages. What prevents them from sliding and locking into multiple positions?
The Vito seats have a mechasim that activates the mounts in the rails. Use screwdriver with Metris seats.

·
Premium Member
TBD
53 Posts
Not to beat this to death, but.. If I buy the Vito rails, and carriages, I will be able mount the Metris seats, and slide the Metris seats to fine increments (like one inch) using a screw driver to activate the release mechanism? Did I get that right??

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
793 Posts
Yea, more or less. Honestly, while it's a little spendy buying the euro seats and rails from Metrisseats is worth it. Your seats will slide, fold and recline. Maybe just get a 2+1 and put your metris seat in the rear.

@Premier Upfits

·
Premium Member
TBD
53 Posts
Can someone please confirm these are the correct rails for the Metris. I have found them in the UK for about $650 shipped. Is that reasonable?
Thanks
Rick
MERCEDES VITO VIANO W639 W447 SPRINTER SLIDING SEAT RAILS VVGC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts