Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added tie downs or something to secure cargo in their Metris's? Looking under the trim panels (which are between 1-2 inches away from the frame), I can see places to attach, but I am hoping someone has already done this and can give some pointers.
B

·
Registered
292 Posts
GardenBob- My cargo van has almost all of the flooring and wall covering removed right now and I could post a few pictures if you tell me what area you're interested in.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RansomRidge,
I could use just about any photos showing areas where I can drill into without drilling through the exterior. I have ordered some panel removing tools from Amazon in order to get them free and look around.
My biggest concern is that the interior panels are often an inch or two away from the frame, so I need to add some kind of spacers behind the panel to take up the slack.
Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@mb513, I know about those tie downs, but I want to add some more.
When I look under the liner, I can see many different sized holes pre-drilled, unfortunately, there is no way to either put the bolt or nut through the back.

·
Registered
200 Posts
@mb513 , I know about those tie downs, but I want to add some more.
When I look under the liner, I can see many different sized holes pre-drilled, unfortunately, there is no way to either put the bolt or nut through the back.

Sorry. I misunderstood your reference to the "frame." YOu were referring to the vertical body panels and specifically, the inner steel panels.

I would caution that the whole body above the deck is pretty lightweight and you may find that a ratchet strap or some side to side force may deform the body.

I even bent the body panel in a 3/4 ton Chev Van (G20) once.

What is the safest is to put a rail along one side of the van interior below the window level and secure that to the vertical body panels and then tie things off to that rail.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bob- The only place that I've found on the vertical walls that has the inner metal against the outer metal is directly above the sliding door. In all other areas there are generally several inches and up to almost 5 inches in the center of the lower panel behind the drivers seat.

These pictures are from when I first got my used cargo van- before I started converting it to a camper.

The small arrows in each of the pictures show factory installed threaded inserts. They take M8 x1.25 screws. Of course I have no idea if the passenger version of the Metris has the same threaded inserts, but this will give you and idea on where to look.

The largest arrow in each of these pictures show holes that are perfectly spaced for 2" round L track style tie downs. I've bought them from US Cargo Control- they have fast friendly service and are happy to make small sales, unlike some companies that cater to large businesses. I'm in no way associated with them- just a happy customer.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratch...ed-L-Track/Round-Airline-Track-2-inch-Piece_2

There are several places on the roof beams that also have holes perfectly spaced for the 2" round anchor points but I don't have any pics of them handy.

When I add new threaded inserts, I usually use M6's using this tool.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...4-20+,+5/16-18,3/8-16+,Hand+Riveter+Rivet+Gun

The hand riveter has worked well for me. The only draw back is that you cant use it in tight spaces or corners since the handles need to open about 150 degrees to use the tool. Other than that planning consideration, its been a very good thing to have for my project. I'm sure the threaded inserts are far more secure than sheet metal screws.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ransomridge! that was just what I needed to see.
And threaded inserts are just what I was looking for, too. I was wondering how put bolts into those holes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts