Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 passenger Metris that I purchased used. The vehicle was speced for a dealership in North Carolina so it doesn't have the cold weather package, ie:heated seats or the Electric Booster for Heating "HZ0" option. I live in Chicago, where those options should be standard equipment.
So my questions: is it possible to have a mercedes upfitter install the Electric Booster for Heating. if so, what am i looking at for a ballpark price. thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the exact same question for a similar situation. Have you gone through a winter already with it or are you getting ready for the first?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've already been though one winter with the van. I have a very short commute so when the temp is below 30, The van doesn't even warm up by the time I arrive at my destination.

that said, it does help matters if you let the van idle for about 10 min with the blower turned off. On longer trips, once the engine temp gets up to 80, you'll start to get some heat.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Growing up in Northern Ontario (-40 occasionally) we always had a fan heater in the car that warmed it up for an hour or so before getting in. Made it reasonable and kept the windows clear. (the block heater went all night)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the part I'm looking for probably looks something like the W251 Auxiliary heating Booster that sits in with the heater core

I've been searching european Ebay for a vito equivalent, I'd post a link but apparently i don't have enough posts yet

·
Registered
401 Posts
It looks like the part that handles auxiliary heating is: 447-830-08-61

It also seems to just be a flat module that slides into a pre-existing slot on the bottom drivers side of the heater box assembly. Wonder how hard it actually is to get at it and just insert the module....

Price is between $260-320 depending where you get it from....I may call my van dealer this week and ask about it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
pawo007 - I’m with you; would love to have the heating element. However, it appears more would be involved than just adding the module. The fuse circuit that supports the heating element (S6 per manual) is completely missing from fuse box under the hood.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I was wondering if the electrical provisions were in place. If they are not that does boost the cost and complexity a fair bit. I've been driving my Metris around the city the past few days in weather down to the mid 20's and it warms up just fine...if idling a long time with the heater/blower on significant speed it will drop the engine temp but today I never saw it below 60C, and it was usually at or near 80C like usual...

My old 190d 2.2 motor (with properly working T-stat) would go from full operating temp (85C) to barely registering on the gauge (~45C) if you'd stop driving and sit idling with the heat on in very cold weather (under 15F outside) for a lengthy period (20 mins+). Still made enough heat for the interior and was never a problem.

These are just small efficient engines, they do not produce much heat at idle. If you figure they can idle 4+ hours on a single gallon of gas, which has about 115k btu of heat energy. Then on a per hour basis the most waste heat available when idling would be likely under 20k btu by rough figuring if you take away heat in the exhaust and energy used mechanically....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Anyone know how many amperes S6 should be?
Looks like two fuses are involved from the diagrams I found. S6 contains the control unit fuse, which is 20A, and then there's a power supply fuse to the actual heater which is 200A :surprise:

·
Registered
94 Posts
200A = 2400W+ That's more than a regular plug in the wall space heater for your house! And a lot of current to pull from an electrical system that is likely sitting below freezing. I think the alternator is only rated at 190A? The system must monitor the battery voltage carefully before engaging the heater...

·
Registered
401 Posts
I imagine the heater is a fair bit lower than 200A to allow some headroom on the fuse/electrical system....probably at least 20% less....still a huge current user though. When its turned on in my GLK the mpg's take a good hit for a few mins until it switches off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts