Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just purchased a used 2016 Metris. It had 99% of the options I wanted EXCEPT for the power sliding doors. Because it had everything else, I figured I could live with it.

after owning it for less than a week I’m wishing I waited to find one with them.

is there any way to add the automatic sliding door option after the fact?

thanks!

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
You might think that you want the unreliable and expensive sliding power doors, but trust me you’re mistaken. You have dodged a bullet my friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might think that you want the unreliable and expensive sliding power doors, but trust me you’re mistaken. You have dodged a bullet my friend.
wow ok... I’m guessing that’s a common problem?

Not sure what’s worse- an automatic closer that breaks on occasion; or a wife complaining she’s gonna throw her shoulder out!

Is it even possible to retro-fit? Anyone ever done it?

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
The doors open really easy. My wife is 4’11” and 110lbs and she opens them easy. The secret is to walk them, or fling them Gently with a flick of the wrist. I don’t use my shoulder at all.

That being said, anything is possible except for skiing through a revolving door. In this case though, it is not practicable.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
I just took delivery of a new Metris Cargo (manual doors). One of the first things I noticed was how much easier the slider was to open and shut than on my 2005 Toyota Sienna. Also, the Sienna has an electric slider which required service twice. You DO NOT want electric doors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FWIW, I miss electric sliding doors on my 2018 Metris. I have sliders on both sides which is great for my service vehicle, but when they lock back it takes a good jolt to get them moving to close. Lately I've taken to butt-bumping the back end of the open slider which is easier on me. I had electric sliders on my last van, Chrysler Town & Country, and loved them. Will probably spec out electric sliders on my next Metris in a year or two.
It would be nice to hear from actual owners of Metris electric slider doors, rather than what someone read or heard 2nd/3rd hand. Just sayin......

·
Registered
130 Posts
I, for one, will not have a van without electric sliders. Most of the arguments against electric sliders are the same arguments that I heard against power windows for years (e.g. they have more parts that means they fail more often, or how hard is it to roll up a window?). Some of that may or may not be true, I haven’t bothered to look up the research if there is any. Frankly, I don’t care if the is any truth to the argument. The benefits of having electric slider far outweigh any perceived inconvenience or cost. What benefit? The benefit of knowing that it is nearly impossible for my kids’ fingers, toes, arms, or legs to be broken or entrapped in the door. That alone is enough for me to recommend them to everyone.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
I admit one of my reasons is what I consider pointless electric complexity (if power windows had been a stand alone option, I would not have selected them, and I was fond of my Isuzu FRRs set up, which had a manual drivers window and a power passenger window because there isn’t really a useful purpose to a power drivers window, but there is to a power passengers window on a 8ft wide truck cab). Electric motors that don’t exist can’t fail.

however that is not my prime reason for disliking power sliding doors and power tailgates. The prime reason is I don’t have the time of day to wait for those slow ass systems to operate. It is a lot faster and easier to manually open and close doors rather than wait for the electric motor that seems to be based on the philosophy of slow and steady wins the race to gently engage in it’s lazy work, much like a European during siesta time. If they invented such systems that did the job more efficiently and quickly than I myself could do it, my interest would increase and my hatred of them would abate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts