Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my long and drawn out process of converting my '16 cargo to a work/adventure van, I added a sunroof in May last year. Got the CRL Genesis sunroof with the manual latch. It seemed to fit perfectly over the raised panels on the roof. A few months later after a wave of heavy rain, I noticed a leak in the corner. I went and added some weather stripping between the glass and the frame from Home Depot and that didn't seem to seal the seams and the adhesive eventually dried out. This past January was another rainy season in Los Angeles. In order to temporarily fix the problem, I patched the seams with some 3M vinyl painters tape. But now as I've finally found a welder to build me a custom roof rack, I had to sort this issue before the rack makes it harder to fix. I got some butyl tape and lined the bottom side of the glass where it meets the frame and added a layer of rubber stripping along the bottom edges of the glass. I did a test with my hose and still the leak is happening. My take on it is that it should have been a double latch on both corners instead of a single in the center. The slight concave of the roof probably isn't lining up on the flatter corners as I can push the sunroof up (when latched) and actually see a small maybe 1-2mm gap.

I saw someone's post earlier this year about using a Bomar vent hatch for boats and that would have been the ticket. But the reality is I've already cut the hole in my roof and it's bigger than any other vents out there so there's no turning back.

Anyone have suggestions on how to fix this issue? Thought maybe I'd find some kind of a rubber flap that fits over the glass to just act as a cover over the seams but this search has started to exhaust me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Seems as if your leaking issue is the sunroof itself and not the install. That is an issue that can only be resolved with another sunroof IMHO (suggested you buy a better quality brand)

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
332 Posts
Can you put a shim under the frame to raise where it needs to be flush with the glass?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems as if your leaking issue is the sunroof itself and not the install. That is an issue that can only be resolved with another sunroof IMHO (suggested you buy a better quality brand)
yea trying to avoid that route.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Maybe check with CRL to see if they will at least get you new seal/etc. in regards to a new rack. Not sure what you need as far as custom and metal. I just installed the Front Runner and I love it! Nice low profile too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe check with CRL to see if they will at least get you new seal/etc. in regards to a new rack. Not sure what you need as far as custom and metal. I just installed the Front Runner and I love it! Nice low profile too.
There is a custom welder with a shop in my neighborhood that I was referred to. He does upfitting for jeeps, trucks, and law enforcement vehicles. I'd like to see what your rack looks like? At the time of me searching, Front Runner didnt have anything for a Metris (last summer).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your issue is the fact you bought and installed a CRL unit. I’m in the auto glass industry, and it’s well known they don’t make good quality assemblies. Sorry you are dealing with this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE: It's been a minute since my last post/login. Luckily, I kept my original cut out of the roof and so I was able to get it welded shut and refinished. I picked up a Gebo marine hatch for sailboats and after much deliberation, I recut a new hole and installed the hatch along with a new ceiling panel. Its been about 5-6 months since I've put it in and has successfully braved many rainy stretches including the one we are having in LA at this time. This pandemic has given me lots of time to work on the van and my progress has been slow but coming along. I'll put up a post later on with the overall progress of the build as I go later on.

In hindsight, yes CRL really sucked haha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts