Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, to appease the inner delinquent teenager, and further fuel my tinnitus, I'm in process of adding sound system overhaul to cargo vessel. Attached is the amp rack which slides under seats nicely (upholstery this weekend). An ancient JL 500/5 drives the suffering front speakers and an antiquated Boston Acoustics sub in .5 cubic ft ported enclosure, elevated slightly to still allow 4X8 sheets of whatever to fit.

Anyway, after all that off-topic pretentious pandering, the real question is where the active guidelines for reverse camera are generated. I'm reluctant to change the head unit and lose that feature (which I love for the no window cargo vessel). I'm assuming the lines have to be tied to steering rack at some point but is it a function of the head unit or between the camera and mysterious steering junction? If it is generated independently outside of the head unit, does anyone have the schematic for it? That way I can transmogrify it into a signal that a new head unit can understand. Hopefully...bzzzzt

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had a issue with a 2016 passenger van with all options that did not display the guide lines. After a slight tussle with the dealer (they gave me multiple excuses why it didn't have them...but they were wrong.) they finally aquiest and hooked the van up to diagnostics. They found the rearview camera had been "flashed" with the wrong VIN number...coded the correct VIN and bingo...guide lines.

Now having said that...which has nothing to do with your query...while wrestling with the dealer...I researched the problem and found that there is one of two ways to "get" the guidelines with aftermarket rearview camera systems depending on whether you had a factory camera install or were retro-fitting a system. To get the guide-lines when retro-fitting a camera system requires tying or untying (depending on manufacturer) two small wires just prior to the plug on the rearview camera harness at the radio head end. Whether you had factory wiring or were retro-fitting (radio head) you had to do the second step which was plug a programmer (comes with aftermarket system) into the OBD2 port on the vehicle and run the set-up. In the set-up you can choose to display the guidelines or not. The programmer and radio head would now be only good for that VIN...you cannot swap to another vehicle.

If you search European MB sites you'll see where folks have bought (on Ebay or the like) "new" take out Audio15/30 heads to replace inop units in their van just to find at start up a message on the screen saying something to the effect of, "Not recognized See Your MB dealer". Yep. The radios are flashed with the VIN and will not function in another vehicle. Probably an anti-theft and get you to go the dealer issue. When these folks would go the dealer, the dealer would not code the "new" radio as they did not sell it (could be stolen, etc.). There are companies in Europe that for around $30 will send you a PIN to unlock the radio. Niffty little business to get into.

So whether you can plop in a aftermarket head and have it work without coding it...I don't know. The factory radio heads seem to not be swappable without coding. Maybe. But I believe the guide-line activation resides inside the radio head itself from what I've read and after discussions with the MB tech that fixed my problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts