Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed in the options it's possible to get the Active Parking Assist. At first I thought this was just the beeping sensors but after reading about it it appears that it is an automated parallel parking system? I am not really interested in that but at least with MB cars the camera gets 360 camera view above the car.... Couple questions

- does the Metris get the 360 cameras? From what I read only the cars GE this system. I would like that feature especially for backing into campsites and lining up between picnic tables and power hook ups.
- can you buy the system and easily turn off the automated parking (1 button not multiple menus unless it's a one time setup... Wouldn't want to turn it off every time I start the van).
- has anyone purchased this option? What has been your experience and would you buy it again if given the choice?

Drove a Metris on Saturday and really like it. Looking into getting a GTRV pop up camper installed so this could really be a great platform for us. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have it. You drive past your spot, hit reverse, signal, hit the ok button to engage, wait for it, park. You don't turn it off, you just don't turn it on.
No 360, that's 100k V class stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Clarification: The active parking assist on the Metris can parallel and perpendicular park. It is really a great system, I love it! Not sure if it works for angle parking yet???

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. It sounded like a gimmick but it appears I actually works. I think I need to spend some time reading the options guide (the brochure is very basic); it looks like to get the sensors it is packaged with active park assist?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Parallel parking a 16 foot truck in a 21' space is probably the easiest maneuver one can learn to perform perfectly in a vehicle, except, of course, by the pearl clutching princess who cries that it a task beyond the ability of the ladies. I'd be embarrassed to use this gimmick even if it was equipped on my vehicle. And, I think I'd pay the service department to disable it to avoid any possible humiliation should the button be accidentally pressed.

·
Registered
179 Posts
parallel works great - I forget that I have it but the few times I've tried it was cool.
Looking for the opportunity to try perpendicular - like backing into a loading dock - that could be handy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Parallel parking a 16 foot truck in a 21' space is probably the easiest maneuver one can learn to perform perfectly in a vehicle, except, of course, by the pearl clutching princess who cries that it a task beyond the ability of the ladies. I'd be embarrassed to use this gimmick even if it was equipped on my vehicle. And, I think I'd pay the service department to disable it to avoid any possible humiliation should the button be accidentally pressed.
It will parallel park in a space that is only 3' longer than the truck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't assume it's always about skill... I have a depth perception issue due to eye surgery when I was a child. In most cases it's not noticeable but hitting a baseball (can't see how far away the ball is to swing) and parallel parking are more complicated than for most people. Over the years I have adapted and done quite well. That being said I wouldn't trust the auto park but the beeping sensors could be helpful to judge distance. I have never had them on a car but on a van with my planned camper build it would be nice.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Don't assume it's always about skill... I have a depth perception issue due to eye surgery when I was a child. In most cases it's not noticeable but hitting a baseball (can't see how far away the ball is to swing) and parallel parking are more complicated than for most people. Over the years I have adapted and done quite well. That being said I wouldn't trust the auto park but the beeping sensors could be helpful to judge distance. I have never had them on a car but on a van with my planned camper build it would be nice.
I'd be the last person to criticize a person for handicap accommodation or adaptation. Glad it is available for you.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I didn't think it was a gimmick, but I did feel that with the back up camera it is redundant.

But I have played with it on loaners, and it does work right fine. I didn't think it was worth the $500 extra. But then I can parallel park a 26' box truck in a 30 foot spot with ease - without the rear view camera.

Truth be told, the Metris has nearly a 45 degree wheel cut. And your steering wheel is only 28" aft of the wheel pivot at lock. This has to be the single most easy vehicle to parralel park I have ever driven. Perpendicular is a bit harder since the vehicle is fairly wide and DBs like to park their vehicles anywhere BUT centered in their spots.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I didn't think it was a gimmick, but I did feel that with the back up camera it is redundant.

But I have played with it on loaners, and it does work right fine. I didn't think it was worth the $500 extra. But then I can parallel park a 26' box truck in a 30 foot spot with ease - without the rear view camera.

Truth be told, the Metris has nearly a 45 degree wheel cut. And your steering wheel is only 28" aft of the wheel pivot at lock. This has to be the single most easy vehicle to parralel park I have ever driven. Perpendicular is a bit harder since the vehicle is fairly wide and DBs like to park their vehicles anywhere BUT centered in their spots.
Agreed. The 38' radius makes it very easy. But, like you, I can drop a box truck in a small space with no more than a well adjusted passenger side mirror. I had a Volvo FE with a 32' bed to haul my off road rigs and could parallel park that in two decent sized spaces.

·
Registered
939 Posts
My favorite time using this feature is after work, tired, and the wife wants me to pick up takeout. I dont have to think about it. Hit the button and brake.

The new W213 will park without you in it. For the busy businessman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts