Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m about to purchase a 2020 Metris Travois Elevate with 7,600 miles. I’ve been reading lots of posts on here and I’m getting a little nervous about this purchase. Hopefully most of the posts that discuss problems are relatively rare and folks that aren’t having problems are just enjoying their vans and not posting anything. But….. Am I worried for nothing or should I reconsider? I had a Transit Connect also a 2020, with a full pro conversion that stayed in the shop for 2 of the 4 months I had it due to some fuel leak issue. Fortunately the conversion company bought it back when the final straw was the air conditioner going out the day I brought it out of the Ford service department. Guess I’m just venting here but your thoughts are welcome! Help me feel reassured or tell me to run!

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
Welcome to MetrisForum.

Every brand can have a first one made on a Monday morning after a holiday ... as we used to call it back home. But, by en large, the bugs were early years. MB sells 10000 vans a year, versus the small community here. I think most vans have been trouble free mechanically, knock on wood, and you should have ample warranty remaining. I think driving wise and interior space wise compared to a Transit Connect you will be very pleased. But a conversion one is a big expenditure ... so, yes, if you could get a bit extra time to check things out, make sure things work and are comfortable.

Are you buying it private party?
Have you seen the maintenance history?

Or if you know where it was serviced, you can always try a call to the dealership ( will be a new customer, about to buy this vehicle from person x, want to just check on performed maintenance, recalls, ... )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to MetrisForum.

Every brand can have a first one made on a Monday morning after a holiday ... as we used to call it back home. But, by en large, the bugs were early years. MB sells 10000 vans a year, versus the small community here. I think most vans have been trouble free mechanically, knock on wood, and you should have ample warranty remaining. I think driving wise and interior space wise compared to a Transit Connect you will be very pleased. But a conversion one is a big expenditure ... so, yes, if you could get a bit extra time to check things out, make sure things work and are comfortable.

Are you buying it private party?
Have you seen the maintenance history?

Or if you know where it was serviced, you can always try a call to the dealership ( will be a new customer, about to buy this vehicle from person x, want to just check on performed maintenance, recalls, ... )
I am buying from a RV place that took it on trade in for the one owner to get something bigger. I plan on calling my local MB dealer tomorrow with the VIN to see what has been done on it including recalls. I’ve got the Carfax indicating oil change at MB dealer but that’s all so far. I think I’m just a bit nervous after my situation with the Transit. It only had 4,000 miles, clean Carfax etc, but it was one thing after another. Missed the whole summer of my trip to WA. Hopefully I can still go soon. Thanks for your input!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
I'm less concerned about the van and more concerned about whether you will be comfortable. There are vast differences in the comfort of the poptops available for this van. Your poptop is different than the tops on the Getaway and what Peace Vans, Keystone and others install. The way the bed part of the top is sprung and how comfortable it is should not be ignored at these price points.

The SCA 152 bed is very comfortable. I'm a side sleeper, 6' 2" and 190lbs. I actually turn down hotel beds and prefer to sleep in the van.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I’m about to purchase a 2020 Metris Travois Elevate with 7,600 miles. I’ve been reading lots of posts on here and I’m getting a little nervous about this purchase. Hopefully most of the posts that discuss problems are relatively rare and folks that aren’t having problems are just enjoying their vans and not posting anything. But….. Am I worried for nothing or should I reconsider? I had a Transit Connect also a 2020, with a full pro conversion that stayed in the shop for 2 of the 4 months I had it due to some fuel leak issue. Fortunately the conversion company bought it back when the final straw was the air conditioner going out the day I brought it out of the Ford service department. Guess I’m just venting here but your thoughts are welcome! Help me feel reassured or tell me to run!
Based on my experience with my 2020 126" cargo van I think the van is a nice van. I have seldom used it for any thing more than just running errands. It is my daily driver.

However I CAN'T [was "can"... sigh] give it a full no holds barred recommendation.

One is the Metris is being discontinued. Not sure what this means. Last time I owned a car that was discontinued, my 2006 Pontiac GTO, the discontinuation wasn't a problem. The lousy first a Chevy dealer then the Pontiac dealer (where I bought the car) was the problem. I ended trading in the GTO in April 2009 rather than deal with lousy service. So I don't know what would have happened from the brand being discontinued.

The other thing I would strongly advise you to get, to be sure the van has, is some warranty left.

At 5670 miles I had my van in for an oil/filter service. The SA went to the van and came back and mentioned the CEL was on. Caught me off guard. Was not on when I drove the van 5 miles from home to the dealer. Turned out to be due to a bad low pressure fuel pump. The tank was dropped and the pump inspected and a new pump installed.

Under warranty.

I drove the car from AR to CA and back again. Ran like a fine Swiss watch. Everything was fine.

But at 12,233 miles the engine died just moments after a hot start. Engine restarted just fine. No other symptoms. But the CEL was on. Error code P0627 was found. Fuel system control module software was up to date. Wiring and even the low pressure fuel pump was checked again. Tech replaced the fuel system control module and programmed the new controller and test drove the van 9 miles and shut off hot engine and restarted with no signs of any issues.

At 12,276 miles took the van in with CEL on again and the engine dying. Everything was checked again and tech found a loose fuel pump connector. Tightened this and after multiple test drives and cold/hot starts no untoward behavior found.

But at 12,699 miles brought van in for engine dying shortly after a hot start. CEL on. P0627 again. Note on the invoice said M-B was working on a software fix.

Picked up the van and drove it home.

But had to bring it back at 13,384 miles. The engine died after a hot start again. Based on power consumption test tech updated the fuel pump system control module.

At 13,516 miles van back in the shop. Engine didn't die right after a hot start but a few minutes after. And died with some drama. Engine restart was with some drama too. The drama to me indicated a failing fuel pump. Sure enough, and long story short, tech found the low pressure fuel pump, the replacement fuel pump, had failed very much like the original low pressure fuel pump. New low pressure fuel pump installed.

So far the stalling of the engine at any time behavior has not resurfaced.

Oh, had the van in at 15,007 miles for oil/filter service but at the same time new/improved fuel system control module software was applied. This was actually under a recall. #2021100013.

Had two other recalls done. One to check and if necessary replace fuel hose and clamps. #2022040011.

The 2nd (at 16,979 miles) was a check of the brake fluid reservoir mounting. #2022030032.

The above fuel system problems are a bit disappointing to me. But fortunately the dealer service department and the tech were superb in handling this.

The van now has almost 19,000 miles (and is due to go in Tuesday for its Service B service) and since I had the van in at 13,516 miles the van has performed flawlessly.

I mention the above because my 2nd hand info is a number of Metris vans suffered something similar to the above. A number of USPS Metris vans were in for what proved to be the same thing wrong as was wrong with my van.

With the van you are considering buying having 7600 miles I'd want a warranty just in case what troubles my van experienced but were addressed under warranty visited your van.

Or if you can verify it has been though this low pressure fuel pump thing well, that's acceptable.

Oh, and you want to be sure it has had the 2 (or 3) recalls done or these are done as a condition of your buying the van.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm less concerned about the van and more concerned about whether you will be comfortable. There are vast differences in the comfort of the poptops available for this van. Your poptop is different than the tops on the Getaway and what Peace Vans, Keystone and others install. The way the bed part of the top is sprung and how comfortable it is should not be ignored at these price points.

The SCA 152 bed is very comfortable. I'm a side sleeper, 6' 2" and 190lbs. I actually turn down hotel beds and prefer to sleep in the van.
I will not likely use the pop top for sleeping as much as for ventilation and standing room. I will likely carry a topper for the fold down bed and use this.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
For reference. Apologies to the OP of this thread if this is the style of Elevate they are purchasing. If you are only using the popup for height many of the aspects of the bed etc are not relevant.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
Interesting. The ad states it’s a 152 SCA top. I don’t know the differences. Is one better than another?
I sort of feel bad for this if you have already purchased the van. "Better" is subjective. I have found the SCA top to be very comfortable. There are some aesthetic differences that are also highly subjective.

If this is your van this is not an SCA top. Actually, looking at this van it actually looks like it might be a 135. I know the ad says something different, but this van in the link above looks like a 135 and not a 126. If that's the case then you really can't even get an SCA top on a 135" van and only a couple of upfitters offer their own top for the van.

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Cloud

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok. Well, I’m confused. The135 is about 9” longer it seems. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to this? I thought I wanted the 135 at first but then I was “settling” for the 126. I don’t really need the extra 9“ since it’s just me. Does the 126 handle better?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Based on my experience with my 2020 126" cargo van I think the van is a nice van. I have seldom used it for any thing more than just running errands. It is my daily driver.

However I CAN'T [was "can"... sigh] give it a full no holds barred recommendation.

One is the Metris is being discontinued. Not sure what this means. Last time I owned a car that was discontinued, my 2006 Pontiac GTO, the discontinuation wasn't a problem. The lousy first a Chevy dealer then the Pontiac dealer (where I bought the car) was the problem. I ended trading in the GTO in April 2009 rather than deal with lousy service. So I don't know what would have happened from the brand being discontinued.

The other thing I would strongly advise you to get, to be sure the van has, is some warranty left.

At 5670 miles I had my van in for an oil/filter service. The SA went to the van and came back and mentioned the CEL was on. Caught me off guard. Was not on when I drove the van 5 miles from home to the dealer. Turned out to be due to a bad low pressure fuel pump. The tank was dropped and the pump inspected and a new pump installed.

Under warranty.

I drove the car from AR to CA and back again. Ran like a fine Swiss watch. Everything was fine.

But at 12,233 miles the engine died just moments after a hot start. Engine restarted just fine. No other symptoms. But the CEL was on. Error code P0627 was found. Fuel system control module software was up to date. Wiring and even the low pressure fuel pump was checked again. Tech replaced the fuel system control module and programmed the new controller and test drove the van 9 miles and shut off hot engine and restarted with no signs of any issues.

At 12,276 miles took the van in with CEL on again and the engine dying. Everything was checked again and tech found a loose fuel pump connector. Tightened this and after multiple test drives and cold/hot starts no untoward behavior found.

But at 12,699 miles brought van in for engine dying shortly after a hot start. CEL on. P0627 again. Note on the invoice said M-B was working on a software fix.

Picked up the van and drove it home.

But had to bring it back at 13,384 miles. The engine died after a hot start again. Based on power consumption test tech updated the fuel pump system control module.

At 13,516 miles van back in the shop. Engine didn't die right after a hot start but a few minutes after. And died with some drama. Engine restart was with some drama too. The drama to me indicated a failing fuel pump. Sure enough, and long story short, tech found the low pressure fuel pump, the replacement fuel pump, had failed very much like the original low pressure fuel pump. New low pressure fuel pump installed.

So far the stalling of the engine at any time behavior has not resurfaced.

Oh, had the van in at 15,007 miles for oil/filter service but at the same time new/improved fuel system control module software was applied. This was actually under a recall. #2021100013.

Had two other recalls done. One to check and if necessary replace fuel hose and clamps. #2022040011.

The 2nd (at 16,979 miles) was a check of the brake fluid reservoir mounting. #2022030032.

The above fuel system problems are a bit disappointing to me. But fortunately the dealer service department and the tech were superb in handling this.

The van now has almost 19,000 miles (and is due to go in Tuesday for its Service B service) and since I had the van in at 13,516 miles the van has performed flawlessly.

I mention the above because my 2nd hand info is a number of Metris vans suffered something similar to the above. A number of USPS Metris vans were in for what proved to be the same thing wrong as was wrong with my van.

With the van you are considering buying having 7600 miles I'd want a warranty just in case what troubles my van experienced but were addressed under warranty visited your van.

Or if you can verify it has been though this low pressure fuel pump thing well, that's acceptable.

Oh, and you want to be sure it has had the 2 (or 3) recalls done or these are done as a condition of your buying the van.
Found out from MB that all recalls have been completed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts