Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks.

A lifelong multiple Audi owner here looking for a potential replacement for my aging 2003 Eurovan. New to the brand, never owned a Mercedes before. Input from fellow DIY/techie types would be most welcome.
  1. Is there diagnostic software similar to VAG-COM (VCDS)?
  2. Is there parts database similar to VAG's ETKA/ETOS?
  3. Is there a service manual similar to the ones published by Bentley for VAG?
Inability to service the vehicle myself would be a deal breaker for me.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of Metris owners.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
Hello, folks.

A lifelong multiple Audi owner here looking for a potential replacement for my aging 2003 Eurovan. New to the brand, never owned a Mercedes before. Input from fellow DIY/techie types would be most welcome.

Weird to lead with service manuals, but yea, this is probably a deal breaker. You can get a bootleg manual.

It's a great van.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did some research on the subject. It appears that Benz' Star Diagnosis (DAS Xentry) interrogation software could run via the OBD2 port just like Audi's VCDS does. I am assuming it can read measuring blocks in real time, dump and erase codes etc.

Also there is Startek EPC (Audi's ETKA analogue) and WIS (Audi's ELSA analogue). What's even more intriguing there are shells out there that integrate the above into one package running in a virtual box under Win10 and hopefully under Win7 x64 as well. Need to research this a bit more.

Looks encouraging thus far.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
Igor, so are you getting a van to specifically tinker or ? What if you got a van and it worked?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hello, folks.

I am a former Eurovan owner ('99 GLS I bought new in Sunnyvale, CA). I had the VAG-COM set up for my PC. Haven't had the need for Metris. I bought a 7/120 MB warranty at a reasonable price IMHO. Talk to me in 2025 about specialized diagnostic tools. The EV ended in 2011 when the engine ran dry in Morgan Hill - having suffered a simultaneous water pump and temp sender failure.

The Metris' 2.0l turbo M274 rear wheel drive platform is better by far as a hauler than the 2.8l VR6 FWD Eurovan. I get 15 to 25% better fuel economy (low to mid 20's vs. 18-20 on the EV). The RWD turning radius is awesome. Ride and handling are similar; Metris is a "smoother" feeling ride with less weight up front. I would say the Eurovan tracked a little better at high speed (over 85 mph), but a direct comparo is hard as the EV was loaded with passenger seats, etc. BTW, one similarity if you're looking at a passenger van is the very heavy, hard to remove "livery-style" rear seats. The Metris pax van is not for little tots who need constant video entertainment or otherwise.

I have an Ebay factory "manual" from Romania. Good stuff.

Do yourself a favor before you buy and review the Dealer Ordering Guide (DOG), copies of which you can find in this forum.

Have fun!

Reactions: RocketVan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Igor, so are you getting a van to specifically tinker or ? What if you got a van and it worked?
No, I am not looking for another project. The youngest vehicle in my fleet is the wife's 17 y/o 6-speed biturbo Allroad already on its second clutch and timing belt and my own DD is a grey market 1997 S6 right now hanging up on the lift waiting for the snow storm to clear so that I can wheel in the cherry picker to remove the engine. I am also a huge minivan fan, hence the interest in buying a new Metris as the closest match to my Eurovan.

From what I hear Benz appears to be more reliable than Audi (not to mention VW) but it is no Toyota, so something is bound to go bad. The warranty on the Metris is rather short and I tend to hold on to my cars for a very long time. With 40+ years of DIY wrenching and a garagefull of tools with a lift I just don't see myself going to a dealer every time the car sneezes after the warranty is up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a former Eurovan owner ('99 GLS I bought new in Sunnyvale, CA). I had the VAG-COM set up for my PC.
I was hoping you would chime in. I did read through the forum prior to posting. Was interesting to read your comparison notes in several topics.

The Metris' 2.0l turbo M274 rear wheel drive platform is better by far as a hauler than the 2.8l VR6 FWD Eurovan. I get 15 to 25% better fuel economy (low to mid 20's vs. 18-20 on the EV). The RWD turning radius is awesome. Ride and handling are similar; Metris is a "smoother" feeling ride with less weight up front. I would say the Eurovan tracked a little better at high speed (over 85 mph), but a direct comparo is hard as the EV was loaded with passenger seats, etc. BTW, one similarity if you're looking at a passenger van is the very heavy, hard to remove "livery-style" rear seats. The Metris pax van is not for little tots who need constant video entertainment or otherwise.
I learned to drive in RWD 4-speed tin cans where winter lasts for 6 months and snow stays on the ground for 5. It was fun, a few dozen hairy moments notwithstanding. Going back to RWD would be interesting.

One of the main reasons I am getting rid of the Eurovan is its FWD. As you probably know the VR6 (in your 12v or my 24v) Eurovan is clocked 15° forward. This makes fitting a Jetta/Golf manual transmission impossible w/o CNC-ing a custom bellhousing ring. And even if somebody were crazy enough to invest time and money in such a one-off project, the Eurovan would still have all the inherent flaws of the FWD platform that you and I both know.

The only thing that worries me in conjunction with the RWD is the automatic transmission.

Do yourself a favor before you buy and review the Dealer Ordering Guide (DOG), copies of which you can find in this forum.
Yes, I have the 2021 one. Planning to post a few questions in the relevant section of the forum.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,453 Posts
No, I am not looking for another project. The youngest vehicle in my fleet is the wife's 17 y/o 6-speed biturbo Allroad already on its second clutch and timing belt and my own DD is a grey market 1997 S6 right now hanging up on the lift waiting for the snow storm to clear so that I can wheel in the cherry picker to remove the engine. I am also a huge minivan fan, hence the interest in buying a new Metris as the closest match to my Eurovan.

From what I hear Benz appears to be more reliable than Audi (not to mention VW) but it is no Toyota, so something is bound to go bad. The warranty on the Metris is rather short and I tend to hold on to my cars for a very long time. With 40+ years of DIY wrenching and a garagefull of tools with a lift I just don't see myself going to a dealer every time the car sneezes after the warranty is up.
I completely understand. I've built a fair number of cars and vans over the years, but after reaching a certain age crossed over to car owner and let the shop do the work. I bought the 140k warranty and called it a day. Sure, I'll still work on what I want, but I'm not going to pull the motor or open the trans. I'm limiting myself to add-ons and maintenance. While I have enjoyed working on cars I am finding other interests.... and if I wanted to work on a car I'd pick some classic roadster or something more sexy.

I think you will really like the van. I would not get totally hung up on the service aspect.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I was hoping you would chime in. I did read through the forum prior to posting. Was interesting to read your comparison notes in several topics.

The only thing that worries me in conjunction with the RWD is the automatic transmission.

Yes, I have the 2021 one. Planning to post a few questions in the relevant section of the forum.
I had no worries about the 7G tronic, M274 combination. Used in the Sprinter, plenty stout IMHO. Don't know about the 9G, but Mercs are not known for bad trannys.

I much prefer being able to steer with both ends of the vehicle!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I completely understand. I've built a fair number of cars and vans over the years, but after reaching a certain age crossed over to car owner and let the shop do the work. I bought the 140k warranty and called it a day. Sure, I'll still work on what I want, but I'm not going to pull the motor or open the trans. I'm limiting myself to add-ons and maintenance. While I have enjoyed working on cars I am finding other interests.... and if I wanted to work on a car I'd pick some classic roadster or something more sexy.
I hear you. I myself am at the same point in life where I'd rather delegate most of the work (at least the primitive messy type like replacing CV joint boots etc.) to a competent shop. Unfortunately these are hard to come by.
I have just started a new thread in the "Purchasing and Ordering" section but do not see it in the list of topics. Are there any time/post limitations for new users?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am still seeing " Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly" above my post. OTOH a new user with only two posts has just posted in the "Purchasing and Ordering" section. Puzzled.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
I am still seeing " Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly" above my post. OTOH a new user with only two posts has just posted in the "Purchasing and Ordering" section. Puzzled.
Try again with a new post. Computers are weird sometimes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Try again with a new post. Computers are weird sometimes.
Good call. Just did that and it worked. Thanks!

Now an hour later my post has disappeared and once again I am seeing the "Awaiting approval before being displayed publicly" message above my post. Puzzled even more.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Next thing I’d try is a message to “MetrisAdmin”.You can find an appropriate place to do that in the Community help section. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts