Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the a/c to blow cold air within a reasonable amount of time? The owner's manual says to change the temp gradually, what exactly does that mean? And even when it's set @ 70 and I have the a/c on it blows hot air for at least 10-15 minutes before cooling off. In the meantime I'm dying! Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the a/c to blow cold air within a reasonable amount of time? The owner's manual says to change the temp gradually, what exactly does that mean? And even when it's set @ 70 and I have the a/c on it blows hot air for at least 10-15 minutes before cooling off. In the meantime I'm dying! Any suggestions? Thanks.

Where are you that in the middle of January are dying becuase it's too hot?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in L.A. and it's been mid-high 70's here. But even if I just want air blowing that's not necessarily cold I also don't want it hot, yet it blows hot.

And what does "changing the temp gradually" mean?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
They are concerned about causing contraction/expansion shock to various parts of the system. It’s a long standing statement from MB dating to the time they had not only the most over engineered climate controls in the world, but the most fragile. This has not been the case for a long time.

The first thing you need to do is turn your system to max cool (if you have single zone, turn the dial on the left all the way down until the line is on the blue dot, if you have the fully automatic system, turn the dials until both digital displays say “lo” or “low”) and the fan to full blast.

If you drive for 10 minutes and don’t feel like you need a parka, you should contact either your dealer or a health care professional.

However, if you do not have the enhanced cooling package, the van will NOT produce cold air if you are not driving it, or you sit with it idling for an extended period of time. That is not a malfunction; the standard A/C system is not designed to produce very cold air without the car moving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I do have the enhanced package (that's the one with the rear vents & sync function, etc... right?) I was waiting a minute or so before changing the temp 1 degree and it was taking forever because even though it's warm here during the day it can be cold at night. So if the heater is on at night when I get out of the car it's still set at that temp when I get in in the morning so I was dyin'!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
On the Passenger model, there are three A/C options.

The base one is a single-zone semi-automatic system (referred to in Europe as Tempmatic) that allows you to select a specific temperature, which it will maintain, but you select the fan speed and distribution manually, and can only turn the rear vents on or off. It comes with both front and rear air conditioning compressors.

Above that is a 3-zone fully automatic system, referred to in Europe as Climatronic. It allows you to individually set temperature for the driver, front passenger, and rear zones, and has a mode that sets fan speed and distribution automatically. This also comes with front and rear air conditioning compressors.

The top unit is called the Enhanced Cooling Package. In addition to the Climatronic system, which you obviously have, it has an additional heat exchanger unit. This allows the system to have adequate heat exchanging area to dissipate heat even when the vehicle is not moving. The other two systems do not have this, and therefore require increased airflow (e.g. vehicle movement) in order for the system to dissipate enough heat to produce cold air. A/C units operate on the basis of heat exchange, and they need an adequate volume of air cooler than that released by the heat exchanger. Otherwise, the coolant returning to the A/C compressor is not cold enough to generate cold airflow.

To further add to my statement about gradualness- It is not a good idea to constantly flip the unit between Hi and Lo, because it is not a good idea to quickly change the air flowing through the systems ducting from Furnace to Igloo and back again. It is harsh on the plastic. But assuming you are using your system in a sane manner, it should be just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts