Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With amazing timing (Regularly in the mid-90's here in middle Tennessee), my A/C has basically stopped working. It's not an issue of "shoulda gotten the enhanced A/C option", or "is it cool while moving"---no, there's zero cooling being done to the air coming out of the vents, at any time, at any speed---it may even be hotter than the outside air. Coinciding with this are hissing/leaking air sounds from behind the dash and some strange popping sounds from outside the car at the rear driver's corner (where the rear A/C drain is) when the rear A/C is on.

I suspect a leak somewhere that has lost all the system's freon, but I suppose it could be a screwy blend motor or resistor.

What really surprised me though was the conversation with the service writer when I called to make an appointment today. I have the ELW, and he told me that the A/C system is covered unless it "just needs recharging". I explained that in my automotive experience, this should be a closed system, and as such should only need recharging if a component or line was faulty somewhere resulting in a leak, especially on a 2016 vehicle with a little over 40k miles. He then tried to say that the Metris needs recharging every 4-5 years because "It loses about a tenth of a pound of Freon every year."

I can rebuild a transmission or engine, weld bodywork, and reupholster an interior---I'm mechanically inclined but I don't touch A/C stuff so this argument is a little out of my comfort zone----all the same, my BS detector is going off big time and it feels like I'm getting preemptively prepped for a $300 A/C recharge service that ELW won't cover. What's the scoop here----am I being fed a line or is this a perfectly legit situation as explained by the service writer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's in the shop now for the A/C---I'll update with whatever if found in case anyone else has the issue down the road. I was going to get them to change the Oil until they quoted me $380. At that point, just for fun, I asked how about the transmission fluid change....with a straight face, he said "Oil change and transmission fluid change together would be $1630." The economy around here must be even better than I could have imagined.

·
Registered
349 Posts
wow, oil and transmission fluid for $1630! My local nice MB dealer will service a 722.9 for about $440, which is not all that bad considering its close to $225 just in materials....

Oil change at my dealer I believe is around $165......steep, but a long ways from $380!!

Can do it yourself with the best oils on the market for barely $75

Surprising at the AC failure, does sound like a gasket or seal failed (or perhaps the rear evaporator developed a leak)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish man. For $600 I would have absolutely pulled the trigger.

wow, oil and transmission fluid for $1630! My local nice MB dealer will service a 722.9 for about $440, which is not all that bad considering its close to $225 just in materials....

Oil change at my dealer I believe is around $165......steep, but a long ways from $380!!

Can do it yourself with the best oils on the market for barely $75

Surprising at the AC failure, does sound like a gasket or seal failed (or perhaps the rear evaporator developed a leak)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So final follow-up. Got it back, and indeed the air is now blowing gloriously cold. Unfortunately my suspicion was correct about them wanting to just recharge and call it a day.

The repair order basically said "recovered 1.5 lbs from A/C system, refilled with 2.0 lbs---hooked to A/C machine to test for leaks, none found".

Tried to charge me $350 for the A/C service, ended up settling for $160 which also chapped me, but I suppose it's at least close to the ELW deductible. The guy just kept insisting and insisting that this was normal for MB's, and he seemed astonished when I mentioned the E-class I had owned for 12 years without a single recharge.

·
Registered
349 Posts
That seems highly suspicious.....gotta be a leak somewhere to lose that much. Even my 19 year old W210 wagon doesn't lose any and still blows cold....

I just topped off my brother's 2009 E350, and it took about 3.5 oz of R134.....and its 10+ years old. Thats less than a 10% loss in 10 years....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my 2016 passanger van back after AC quit on a 3000 mile road trip from FL to PA and back...and many excursions along the ways. Van now has 41k miles. There was less than a pound of refrigerant in the system so a leak was the likely culprit. My local privately owned foreign car service shop found the leak in the rear evaporator. Replaced the rear evaporator and dryer. Also did a full system check including blowing out the drip tubes. Cost me $1700 for the whole ordeal. Not happy about the cost but happy with the service and the results. The owner said evaporators used to be made of copper and never went bad. New evaps are aluminum and cool better but are subject to corrosion and leaks. So me being by the ocean in Florida doesnt bode well for evaporator life. Plus, the AC is working super hard from May to November. I try to use the rest function of the climate control to clear residual moisture in the evaps not only to combat musty smells but also to try and prolong the life of the system. Hope this info helps

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Never went bad? MBs used to be truly famous for failed AC systems! In my entire car owning life I’ve never had one that didn’t fail unless it was already failed when I bought the damned thing.

·
Registered
2018 Metris Passenger
254 Posts
Travelling through Vermont in my old Celebrity on a hot Sunday in the late '80s. Stopped for gas in Stowe and heard a faint hisss when checking oil. Accelerator cable had just worn through an aluminum A.C line. No repair service available. Used a hose clamp and bit of inner tube from my tool box. Worked fine for the rest of the summer. Lucky timing!

·
Registered
349 Posts
The AC on my 1989 420SEL was still original R12 with original parts and compressor, still blew cold even at 25+ years old and 160,000+ miles.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In my entire car owning life I’ve never had one that didn’t fail unless it was already failed when I bought the damned thing.
In my entire car owning life, the most common failure of any type for me has been A/C compressor. 1984 Celica, 1990 Camry, 1997 Miata, 2012 Audi A3 (that one seized, melted the accessory belt into shards of rubber shrapnel which ripped the wiring off and destroyed a water temp sensor, too).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I wanted to follow this up with a resolution, just as a data point for owners who may have this issue in the future.
To no one’s surprise, the problem reared it’s head again a few weeks ago as it heated up greatly here in TN, almost a year to the date from when this first occurred. I took it back to the dealer and they admitted there was a leak and that this time they’d treat it as such.
The system only had .3 pounds of freon in it, so it had lost almost all of it. The recharging system they use still indicated no leaks, so they did the dye test. Long story short, they had to disassemble most of the rear of the van, but it was the rear evaporator that was leaking. They ended up replacing both driers too. Took a while to get the parts, but after three weeks (with a GLB 250 loaner thankfully) they had it fixed and it’s gloriously cold.
Grateful for the ELW which covered this and to their credit they didn’t charge me the deductible since I paid last year for the same issue. Just glad to have it fixed. Hopefully this may help someone in the future with a tricky Freon leak.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In my entire car owning life, the most common failure of any type for me has been A/C compressor. 1984 Celica, 1990 Camry, 1997 Miata, 2012 Audi A3 (that one seized, melted the accessory belt into shards of rubber shrapnel which ripped the wiring off and destroyed a water temp sensor, too).
The Gods have a sense of humor - just weeks after making that post, the A/C air temperature is just a little cooler than ambient and no longer cold. Well, the B service for spark plugs is due, so I can deal with the A/C at the same time. Yippie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts