Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. We have a 2016 Metris that we love but the ac stopped blowing cold air. The repair shop said the leak is with the Front A/C evaporator. They also looked over the van and came up with the following recommendations.

1. Front A/C evaporator, $2769 installed with A/C system recharge.
  2. Due for an oil and filter change service by mileage, $129
  3. Due for a brake fluid flush by mileage, $179
  4. Front brake rotors are worn below minimum specifications, $719 for new front brake pads, rotors, and wear sensor installed
  5. Rear brake rotors are worn below minimum specifications, $692 for new rear brake pads, rotors, and wear sensor installed
  6. Both front lower control arms are worn (ball joint boots are cracked open and bushings are cracked), $1699 installed plus $189 for an alignment
  7. Rear coil spring insulators are cracking, $547 installed for upper and lower insulators
  8. Front and rear flex discs in the propeller shaft are cracking, $870 installed

Total is ~$8K. ooch.

The van has 100K miles. #2,3,4 & 5 I understand, typical maintenance type stuff. The others are a shock. We already replace the rear compressor (a/c) years ago. I just can't afford this but new/used cars are so expensive now. Any advice on the other items? We are trying to get other shops look at the van. Oh, the place that provided the estimate charged us $247 for that piece of good news :)

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,097 Posts
They charged $247 to look the van over? Ouch!

Some of the MB repairs & parts are expensive. Dealership or otherwise. I'd make a few phone calls to some indy shops, to see what they come up with for parts and labor estimates.

I know the one little shop near us that moved ( no longer EU vehicles, generic domestic now ), parts were not cheaper than MB, because they had to use their parts distributor, who had markup, and they tacked on 10%. But the benefit for me was it was in town, and I could just walk to and from in 5 min.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
The core maint issues seem reasonable. Oil, brakes....

I'd get a quote from a dealer and have them check the same things. If you are considering the 8k the dealer trip is worth the second opinion...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hello. We have a 2016 Metris that we love but the ac stopped blowing cold air. The repair shop said the leak is with the Front A/C evaporator. They also looked over the van and came up with the following recommendations.

1. Front A/C evaporator, $2769 installed with A/C system recharge.
  2. Due for an oil and filter change service by mileage, $129
  3. Due for a brake fluid flush by mileage, $179
  4. Front brake rotors are worn below minimum specifications, $719 for new front brake pads, rotors, and wear sensor installed
  5. Rear brake rotors are worn below minimum specifications, $692 for new rear brake pads, rotors, and wear sensor installed
  6. Both front lower control arms are worn (ball joint boots are cracked open and bushings are cracked), $1699 installed plus $189 for an alignment
  7. Rear coil spring insulators are cracking, $547 installed for upper and lower insulators
  8. Front and rear flex discs in the propeller shaft are cracking, $870 installed

Total is ~$8K. ooch.

The van has 100K miles. #2,3,4 & 5 I understand, typical maintenance type stuff. The others are a shock. We already replace the rear compressor (a/c) years ago. I just can't afford this but new/used cars are so expensive now. Any advice on the other items? We are trying to get other shops look at the van. Oh, the place that provided the estimate charged us $247 for that piece of good news :)

Jeff
The good news is that with the exception of the fluid changes, all of those service and maintenance items are verifiable, so I agree with @pounce to try a dealer. "Cracking" may mean "needs to be replaced soon," as opposed to a safety requirement. If the work is needed, you might feel better if you add up your total cost of ownership at 100k miles vs. buying a new vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might try to recharge the AC system yourself. They sell cans at the auto parts stores - some claim to stop leaks. Like $20-$30, what do you have to lose?? Brake pad changing isn't too bad - I did pads at 40K miles, I'll be attempting the rotors this time too. Parts were about $300 (with upgraded rotors too). Not sure if it's on here, but Facebook has a group that goes over the procedure pretty well. I know not everyone likes to work on their cars, but the metris is not bad for basic stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
6, 7, and 8 don't seem "critical" to me - would just depend how much longer you want to keep it. Another 100k miles, then might be worth it - or start saving up for it. I think I have to deal with 7 soon myself.

·
Registered
58 Posts
6 seems high. I paid 1800 on a sienna for the AC #1. Everything else seems reasonable considering it's a Benz and not at the dealer. Like others said, you could cherry pick these over a few months to help with cash flow. DM for a shop referral if you're in Chicago area. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, here's what we found out from another shop who inspected the van. The Metris is notorious for AC issue, he said the most common repair. As far a 6, 7 & 8 only 1 of those (forget which he said) shows cracking but he advices not to replace as that tend to open a can of worms. Also, the pads are fine but the [original] rotors do need replacing.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Glad to hear those "cracks" were not actionable (or existent!).

I wonder if the broader front evaporator failure issue is related to poor drainage? Metris A/C has the strongest odor, after you turn it off, of any vehicle I've owned, so I've taken to running with a/c off 3 to 5 minutes before parking. And I'm out west where the ambient humidity is low. I'm sure it's weirder in high humidity regions.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passenger
2,320 Posts
If you need rotors you need pads. Gotta do them at the same time.

Yea, my ac at times smells bad. I have not changed the filter this summer though. Just got stocked up on filters and wipers. I noted another recent thread about how to do the cleaning. I will probably skill up on that and do a clean before end of the season so it's clean through the winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts