Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think you may be right. I worked with the PAC team this morning and got their undocumented wires sorted out. You were right about the CAN wires, so you can plug the PAC Sprinter harness into the Metris w/o changing any pins. I am now wiring everything up to to my HU test it, which may take a few days given other priorities. PAC warned me that the CAN data stream may be different from 2019, in which case it won’t work. This has happened in the past even within a single model year, which may explain why Maestro does not support Mercedes. Anyway, there is no need to change pins to use the PAC Sprinter harness and I will document the other wires after I finish testing. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,582 Posts
I think you will be fine. Very little reason MB would change anything on these vans.

The way the steering wheel stuff works is bloody simple and adapters just for steering buttons should be pennies. I have Android units that need no adapters. They handle it all in software and you can program any button. It's just a fancy resistance mapper. Like I've programmed my steering wheel mute button to have short press and long press actions that my head unit understands. The PAC unit gives you those options.

I only wish we could get the good bits from the Maestro iDatalink. My Kenwood unit could display gauges etc if that were the case. But like you mention.. Maestro is out of the MB game.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@jwatches : Wanted to check in to see if you had been able to resolve issues with PAC and move forward with your install? My audio guy is following this thread with interest so I can do get it done on my 2021 van :)

Thanks for taking one for the team! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I am close. I have to complete the radio hook-up and actually turn it on to verify that the PAC device understands the CAN data. The PAC support folks got me to the point of validating it is receiving the CAN data, but they have had issues with Mercedes data in the past and cautioned it may not function. Long way of saying I will probably know this week.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
O.K., I completed the initial test and the results are promising. If you plug the PAC RP4.2-MB11 Wiring Interface into the stock Audio40 harness in a 2021 Metris, the steering wheel controls will function properly. That is all I really needed and I'm satisfied if that is all that is resolved here, but there remain a few challenges. The microphone in the Metris that works with the stock Audio40 HU appears to come through the purple colored Fakra connection on the back of the Audio 40 HU (the one connector that isn't with the other Fakra's on the bottom edge of the HU). This is also appears to be how the SOS system works which, like the Garmin NAV, is inside the stock radio. This means changing out the Audio40 HU will result in the loss of the Garmin NAV, loss of the Mercedes SOS and loss of the stock microphone. I'm using the microphone that came with my new Alpine iLX-407 HU, I don't care about the Garmin NAV, but would have liked to keep the SOS. Oh well. I was disappointed that my Alpine HU doesn't support Apple Carplay via bluetooth; it requires a USB connection. Speaking of USB connections, that too is a bit of a trade-off. The stock USBs both go directly to the Audio40 HU via unusual Fakra-USB ports. My Alpine HU has a USB jack, but the cable ends with a standard female USB. Finding a Fakra adaptor hasn't yielded any results for me. I would like to find a replacement port for the stock one in the dash, ideally with one port having a male USB on the back and the other a female AUX input. It can be a bit larger, but obvioulsy not smaller than the existing hole in the dash. I plan to work on that next before I put the dash panel bake in. Let me know if anyone has done something like that.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic component Audio equipment Passive circuit component

·
Registered
2 Posts
Starting this thread in the hope that others weight-in on the evolving topic of upgrading the Audio30/40 system in the new 2021 Metris. The main issue I have at the moment is that I need an accurate diagram for the Audio30 pin-outs on the main stereo harness plug. All the other connectors on the HU are Fakra connectors for antennas, camera, etc. The best solution I have found for maintaining the steering wheel controls and the peripherals attached via the Fakra connectors is the RPA4.2-MB11from PAC (Pacific Accessory Corporation). This product is designed to support after-market stereo installs with the stock MB harness on Sprinters up through 2019. The 2021 Metris (and presumably the Sprinter) have slightly different pin-outs, so I am working with PAC's customer support team to figure out the pin-out mappings to their harness. So far, they have been awesome to work with. NOTE: this means I will need to move the pins around in the plastic connector of the PAC harness to match the Metris harness. I strongly recommend to anyone wanting to do this, that they purchase the handy tool that makes this easy. They are available from many online sources for less than $10. The important thing is that the PAC harness has to map it's CAN-bus inputs to the CAN-bus outputs in the Metris harness for the steering wheel controls to work. Once I have that mapped, I can then map the other wires in the main plug that relate to the stereo system. The Fakra plugs for the back-up camera, the Sirius XM antenna, the Radio antenna and the GPS Navigation can be acquired on Amazon in all the different connections needed to connect to the PAC unit. Once it's all sorted, PAC will likely release an updated harness for 2021 Metris and Sprinters.

I will update this thread as I make progress.
Yes, there is a great tool for removing pins in connectors favored by German auto manufacturers (and French boat builders...).

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,582 Posts
O.K., I completed the initial test and the results are promising. If you plug the PAC RP4.2-MB11 Wiring Interface into the stock Audio40 harness in a 2021 Metris, the steering wheel controls will function properly. That is all I really needed and I'm satisfied if that is all that is resolved here, but there remain a few challenges. The microphone in the Metris that works with the stock Audio40 HU appears to come through the purple colored Fakra connection on the back of the Audio 40 HU (the one connector that isn't with the other Fakra's on the bottom edge of the HU). This is also appears to be how the SOS system works which, like the Garmin NAV, is inside the stock radio. This means changing out the Audio40 HU will result in the loss of the Garmin NAV, loss of the Mercedes SOS and loss of the stock microphone. I'm using the microphone that came with my new Alpine iLX-407 HU, I don't care about the Garmin NAV, but would have liked to keep the SOS. Oh well. I was disappointed that my Alpine HU doesn't support Apple Carplay via bluetooth; it requires a USB connection. Speaking of USB connections, that too is a bit of a trade-off. The stock USBs both go directly to the Audio40 HU via unusual Fakra-USB ports. My Alpine HU has a USB jack, but the cable ends with a standard female USB. Finding a Fakra adaptor hasn't yielded any results for me. I would like to find a replacement port for the stock one in the dash, ideally with one port having a male USB on the back and the other a female AUX input. It can be a bit larger, but obvioulsy not smaller than the existing hole in the dash. I plan to work on that next before I put the dash panel bake in. Let me know if anyone has done something like that.

View attachment 19760
Doesn't the pac unit have the connection for the USB? Mine did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I ordered the fakra USB adapter and will now have the USB connection into the HU. Also found a charger connection for the other stock USB dash port [. https://www.discountcarstereo.com/usb-hsd.html ], so the USBs are solved. Having some issues with the back-up camera which appears to be connected and responds to being placed into reverse, but no video is projected, regardless of the data type I select in the HU. Alpine is coming out with a new HU designed specifically to plug-in to the Metris harness and replace the Audio40. Might be worth waiting for if you are planning to upgrade your HU.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry I have been offline for awhile and that will continue for the next several weeks. Nothing new to report as I am busy with other aspects of my camper build. I found cables to connect the stock USB ports to the new HU and the audio sounds great. Still need to sort out the camera and will get back to that next month. I thought I bookmarked the new Alpine HU for the Metris, but it appears I didn't. I found it on a late night rat hole of Google searches for other stuff. Hopefully someone can find it.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,582 Posts
There is a Vito W447 Alpine unit, but it's maps are Europe and it has DAB.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yeah, I think that is it. Many may not care about the NAV, or can load TomTom maps they want. Same for the DAB. Once I got SiriusXM, I rarely turned on the radio. Still, Fair point. On the other hand, this HU plugs right into the stock harness, keeping the SOS, microphone and all the Mercedes stuff working as before. If I were starting over, I would look hard at this. The stock HU has no RCA jacks for an amp add-on which I assume the Alpine does. Using speaker wires as amp input is obviously not preferred.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yea, for 1800 or so it's probably a reasonable gamble. Upside for some is its actually available! FM might work. Not sure if it has wireless Carplay or not.
$1,800 is more than a reasonable gamble for me!! I mention it because the Alpine unit is mega-cool and I'd love one.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts