Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will there be no 2021 MY deliverable before year's end?

I just communicated with the commercial sales manager at an MB dealership and was told that I will not be able to order a 2021 Metris until Nov maybe Dec?
That nothing is known yet about the 2021 model, specs, ... ?

My understanding was that typically ordering for the next MY opens up at the end of summer, as production starts up after the summer break and any retooling if necessary. Plus, in this case, I could swear I had read in the past week or two, on a British or German site, that production of the 2021 Vito was starting ( had started ? ) for delivery Sept/Oct. Of course Google is not helping me today.

Does NA ordering always start up late for the Metris?
Or has there been a global delay? Factory issue? Covid?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve been looking myself and after calling around I’ve gotten no answers either. However, everybody is MORE THAN HAPPY to move me into a 2019/2020! I get it- their job is to sell me a van TODAY. Before I pull the trigger I would like to know what I’m potentially missing out on with the 2021s.

I’ve been reading some of the European articles on the upcoming Vito and if even SOME of the upgrades make it to the Metris I might be willing to wait(and pay more) another 6 months. Honestly, if I could just get a 2021 base sticker price for North America and an educated guess on when deliveries would start it would make my decision easier to make right now.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about NA ordering in regards to the rest of the world or what effects Covid has made on production. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The highlights of the 2021 Metris did the rounds on the various car blogs in NA back in March.

Known updates: slight nose redesign, a bit more weight rating, 9 speed transmission for fuel efficiency, 7" touch screen radio screen with CarPlay and Android Radio, digital rear view mirror, advanced safety features available like distronic, lane departure, etc.

I'm hoping for better headlights, tail lights and more color coded bumper options. What is wrong with white bumpers?

In an ideal world, MB USA would allow customers to order Metris's with options like intelligent light system up front, LEDs in the back and pipe dream currently MBUX. They have it in the V-class.

Any dealer would have to give me the deal of the year to move a '19 or '20 into my garage; as all the ones I have seen online, looking at a few dealership and surrounding areas in a few states: most are short wheel base and very bare bones: plain white, stock seats, no steering wheel controls, stock radio, zero windows, barn doors, no tie downs, ...

Having driven most of my vehicles for 10-12 even 15 years, including two passenger vans. I just can't see myself buying a bone stock one for my daily utility vehicle. That's not to say I could not do it, but I'd like to be happy and tickled with my van that it has at least some of the boxes ticked and creature comforts that I have enjoyed over the past 20 years driving passenger vans.

Background: my current Dodge Grand Caravan SE has been OK. It gets 25mpg, has stow-n-go, basic radio with bluetooth upgrade, but it sucks for anything but answering calls. Voice command is ... gggrrrr ... and the phone is totally dead muted in/near the car. Stowing the seats (99% of the time) it has a very uneven & lumpy floor. It can only hold 2 sheets of plywood or similar flat on the floor ... anything more and you need to drive like a Smurf if you want to close the gate. No roof rack. No backup camera.

So, wanting to alleviate some of the above shortcomings, while keeping outward visibility :

Metris cargo, extended, dual sliding doors with windows, lift gate with window, tinted glass, roof rack rails, towing package, ... and some comfort & safety features, because I will be driving it for a good while, often for one day or two day jumps between New England and Florida ... and who knows where else. I want it to be as versatile and future proof as it can be to hold whatever I want it do or may need it to do: errands to Home Depot or Lowes, a repair task here or there helping family, a move, a trip to the beach, ...

·
Registered
526 Posts
The 9 speed sounds like it would be worth waiting for, as would a better audio head unit, IMHO. But be prepared to wait. My '18 took 11.5 months to appear after my order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Early thoughts(guesses) are that the 9G will only help by a mile or so city/hwy over the 7G anyways. You can do MUCH better than that just by adjusting your driving style! The head unit doesn’t matter to me either as I don’t even listen to the radio in my vehicles.

The rumored digital rear view mirror sounds really cool as I want a cargo version and I know I’m going to keep looking up there. I also heard blind spot assist will be standard along with a couple other safety features that are option-only now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update from the dealership via Regional Mgr.
Dealer order guide expected end of September.
Vehicle production in January.

Thanks for chiming in re: the transmission. I am weary about first generations too.
And, yes, fuel economy is mostly about the foot and the terrain. With a more relaxed driving style I tend to match and beat fuel efficiency numbers. The only exception has been our new-to-us recent MB SUV ... can't seem to get there.

Car Play is not something I inherently care about, as it has its plusses and minuses; but it would be nice not depend on old school NAV, and have Apple Maps or Waze on screen, vs on my phone.

The practical trouble is, I'd really hoped to trade up to a more versatile van this fall. So, I'm searching the internet a bit. Might be tempted to get an existing one. Found a 2019 Metris with roof rails, towing and safety options several hours away ... but it is a 126 with barn doors, not a 135 with lift gate. The 135s are rather bare bones. No metrises close by to pop in and take a quick measurement. I'd like to know if / how plywood fits in a 126 standing up with/without partition >> asked the question here 135” or 126” wheelbase ...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
As I responded in a previous post I’m not sure why you want the plywood to be standing up. The van is wide enough to accommodate it laying down. That being said lengthwise it easily accommodated

·
Registered
3 Posts
As for dimensions/measurements, Car and Driver has the best, tho still incomplete, listings of the 2019 Metris stats for the 126" cargo that I could find. We were lucky to find a 2019 passenger with a few bells and whistles. It had been used as a loaner/demo vehicle at a dealership.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replied in the other thread re: standing a couple sheets up. Basically you don’t have to have an empty floor to carry a sheet, easy to slip in and out.

I’m scanning the internet a few states over for an extended version.

Prioritizing options ( no advanced safety features, no slider on driver side, no flip up tailgate ) I have found a couple options ... but they don’t have lashing rails on the side ( easy fix with the right parts from MB dealer, I presume, to match the holes ) and no lashing rails in the floor ... << have not solved that one yet. There’s a couple threads on this forum, but it is unclear to me, if the equivalent of riv-nuts are underneath the wooden floor in all vans or not ... just like they are on that side rail.

·
Registered
52 Posts
@ Icerabbit, Now that "River" posted his pictures in the "2020 Metris pricing help" thread, we know there are no rivnuts in the steel floor, but they shouldn't be too difficult to install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts