Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I wanted to post my experience after receiving my 2021 Getaway through a local dealership so that other buyers can be "aware."

I ordered my 2021 in December 2020 through my local dealer. It was evident that they had very little info at that point, but we decided to take the plunge anyway after seeing a Weekender for a few minutes during a traveling exhibition. I wanted to get it from PeaceVans but Seattle is too far from Naples...Cuba is closer! I'm sorry I did not order my van from Harley as I am disappointed to report that if you order power seats your seats will not swivel! I didn't find this out until the moment I picked it up, the night before a long awaited 3000 mile plus trip. Driverge only says corporate is aware of the problem. My dealer tells me that his local upfitter has a swivel solution, but we'll see if that ever pans out.

My advice is to talk to Peace Vans if your ordering a Getaway, because these local dealerships know very little about ordering these Vans (and that's from going to both MB dealers in my local area)!

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,728 Posts
Good advice.

I have swivels with power seats so it is possible. You do have to extend the wiring harness. So it's not something you want just anyone doing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi! As an upfitter, I try to not gratuitously comment or plug my company or products, but I will chime in when tagged, asked a direct question or have some specific technical knowledge to contribute. I'll always disclose who I am (Peace Vans).

Pounce is correct (as usual! we need to hire that guy) - the wire harness can be extended by a competent team. However, it's likely going to void warranties and is technically speaking not an approved nor vetted process. You'll want the team doing it to make sure the wires are properly sheathed and supported so there is no binding or other risks introduced when they do swivel. It's not rocket science but not for the lay person. For the record, it's a mod we won't do unless a specific waiver is signed. That's why we order our vans w/out the power seat option.

Hopefully you get this sorted and love the van. We would have delivered it :)

Harley

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to thank this group. Yesterday I went to put deposit on a MB Getaway at a dealer in Rhode Island and mentioned that I was reading the power seat option negated the swivel seats. Dealer insisted that wasn’t true but agreed I would get a full refund if true. It must have planted a seed of doubt in his head . Today he called me that he talked to some MB people and it is true. Power seats no swivel. He already has the van built and at the outfitters so I am sadly back in the market. You guys saved me having to wait until I picked up the van in February 2022 to discover.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,728 Posts
I want to thank this group. Yesterday I went to put deposit on a MB Getaway at a dealer in Rhode Island and mentioned that I was reading the power seat option negated the swivel seats. Dealer insisted that wasn’t true but agreed I would get a full refund if true. It must have planted a seed of doubt in his head . Today he called me that he talked to some MB people and it is true. Power seats no swivel. He already has the van built and at the outfitters so I am sadly back in the market. You guys saved me having to wait until I picked up the van in February 2022 to discover.
You cancelled the order over the swivels and power seats? Just curious. Not all that difficult to add the swivels after you get a van with power seats.

He already has the van built and at the outfitters so I am sadly back in the market. You guys saved me having to wait until I picked up the van in February 2022 to discover.
Already has the van built and at the upfitter? A 2022? that does not add up.

I have power seats and swivels. I'd give up the power seats. I don't find they add much value. That's not true for the heat though. Love me some heated seats. I would have swapped them out for manual seats if the controls for the seats were not on the doors. I really dislike the controls on the doors. I only use one feature of the powered seats. The position memory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You cancelled the order over the swivels and power seats? Just curious. Not all that difficult to add the swivels after you get a van with power seats.

Already has the van built and at the upfitter? A 2022? that does not add up.

I have power seats and swivels. I'd give up the power seats. I don't find they add much value. That's not true for the heat though. Love me some heated seats. I would have swapped them out for manual seats if the controls for the seats were not on the doors. I really dislike the controls on the doors. I only use one feature of the powered seats. The position memory.
Yes I pulled my deposit as I was not interested in having to swap out the seats myself. The dealer had previously ordered the van with power seats before I put a deposit. The van had already been built and was at upfitters so power seats were already installed. The van is a 2021. It was being delivered to dealer in February 2022.

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,728 Posts
Yes I pulled my deposit as I was not interested in having to swap out the seats myself. The dealer had previously ordered the van with power seats before I put a deposit. The van had already been built and was at upfitters so power seats were already installed. The van is a 2021. It was being delivered to dealer in February 2022.
You don't have to swap seats. It's just extending the wiring harness. It's just a little short on the powered seats.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Massachusetts :)
I'd have done the same thing, so more power to you. Power seats are one more thing to break (though I can understand their utility). The "comfort" seats (or somesuch) are highly configurable, and I was able to self-install the Travois RIB Scopema swivels easily with no warranty violating wiring harness extension needed. When the van was recalled for the passenger seat cover, the dealer just gave me the part rather than making a fuss about the swivels. It's a foam cover perhaps 6" x 14" -- I can't find any gaps in my passenger side (with the swivel) - so it remains in my part bin.

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So as a quick update the dealer is going to install aftermarket swivels to make my power seats mobile. However, I am still waiting for the dealer to install the aftermarket swivels. My van was delivered this July. My van then sat at their dealership for over a month waiting for the swivels before I went and retrieved it for a short weekend trip. Now, I hear that the part has arrived but they need to arrange for some upfitter tech to travel to the dealership to install them since it's an aftermarket part. The delay in swivel delivery had to do something with the worldwide logistics supply chain issues. I'm about ready to leave for another trip in about a week, so I'll see if this install happens or not before the end of the year! Technically, I'm not having to install the swivels myself, but the logistics of it aren't exactly easy either, especially considering the extra expense for the seats!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All,

I wanted to post my experience after receiving my 2021 Getaway through a local dealership so that other buyers can be "aware."

I ordered my 2021 in December 2020 through my local dealer. It was evident that they had very little info at that point, but we decided to take the plunge anyway after seeing a Weekender for a few minutes during a traveling exhibition. I wanted to get it from PeaceVans but Seattle is too far from Naples...Cuba is closer! I'm sorry I did not order my van from Harley as I am disappointed to report that if you order power seats your seats will not swivel! I didn't find this out until the moment I picked it up, the night before a long awaited 3000 mile plus trip. Driverge only says corporate is aware of the problem. My dealer tells me that his local upfitter has a swivel solution, but we'll see if that ever pans out.

My advice is to talk to Peace Vans if your ordering a Getaway, because these local dealerships know very little about ordering these Vans (and that's from going to both MB dealers in my local area)!
I feel your pain! I drove all the way to Maine to buy my Metris. I would have much preferred to buy from Harley as well but couldn’t get a deal to work. Not his fault. Yes, too far away but far more informative. Dealerships here in Florida were not helpful at all. All I heard was the post office is buying them up so there’s none to be found. Odd, there were none on the streets being used by the post office that I could find!?!
Adam from PeaceVans told me upfront that I couldn’t get power seats to swivel. So I didn’t look for it In the Driverge package. Manual seats aren’t terrible but hard to get used to after having automatic seats as I had in my previous MB E350.
have you found any place to Service the upfit package? I was told by MB Fort Myers to go to an RV dealership. They said they only service the front seats forward in the vehicle. Not enough information was provided by the salesman where I did buy the van because he said he’s not “techie”. I’ve had to call Merlin Solar for technical support about the solar panel. …It’s a learning curve. I sure wish Harley and Peace Vans were on the East Coast!

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel your pain! I drove all the way to Maine to buy my Metris. I would have much preferred to buy from Harley as well but couldn’t get a deal to work. Not his fault. Yes, too far away but far more informative. Dealerships here in Florida were not helpful at all. All I heard was the post office is buying them up so there’s none to be found. Odd, there were none on the streets being used by the post office that I could find!?!
Adam from PeaceVans told me upfront that I couldn’t get power seats to swivel. So I didn’t look for it In the Driverge package. Manual seats aren’t terrible but hard to get used to after having automatic seats as I had in my previous MB E350.
have you found any place to Service the upfit package? I was told by MB Fort Myers to go to an RV dealership. They said they only service the front seats forward in the vehicle. Not enough information was provided by the salesman where I did buy the van because he said he’s not “techie”. I’ve had to call Merlin Solar for technical support about the solar panel. …It’s a learning curve. I sure wish Harley and Peace Vans were on the East Coast!
I think the dealership you mentioned is trying to shirk their responsibility as a MB dealership! While technically you are supposed to contact Driverge first for any upfit related repairs, I thought the whole idea of a partnership among the companies was to bring a camper van to the market that could be serviced at any MB dealership. In fact, that is the primary reason why I bought a Getaway and not something similar from elsewhere. I purchased my Getaway one dealership south of Fort Myers, so they have been handling all of the issues. While I do get the impression that they really don't know the upfit details very well, at least they are trying to coordinate with "Dri-Vi" as they call it. For instance, I'm still waiting for them to coordinate to install my swivels. I have no idea when it will get done, but I'm fairly sure it will get done, particularly since they actually have the swivels now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts