Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this van new. There is a delay when applying throttle at low RPM. For example, when making a turn into fast moving traffic, I press down on the gas pedal, expecting the van to accelerate immediately. Instead what happens is there is a delay of about a second before it accelerates. If I press down further on the pedal, it doesn't really make any difference except that a few seconds later the engine is now developing max power and I am screaming down the road as the load I am carrying slides to the back of the van.

I am guessing this is normal, probably designed this way to reduce emissions. What I am wondering, is if there is some way around this via chip tuning? I am reading about different types of add on modules that either work with the ECU or else modify the signal going from the pedal to the throttle. These seems to be designed with the aim of producing more power. I'm not interested in more power, just better throttle response. I don't care if I lose some fuel efficiency.

I'm actually surprised I don't see more on this forum about this. It's one of the few complaints I have about this van. I'm used to early 2000s vehicles so maybe everything is like this nowadays. Hopefully someone has some insight. Thanks.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are a couple threads about tuning, that should show up via search.

I think a little turbo lag is to be expected. But the van is certainly no slouch and mine will throw the content around in the van when I press on the accelerator or brake pedal too fast. I have zero issues merging into fast traffic. The van does this faster the average vehicle and the minivans I had before my Metris. She's no E350 V6 turbo in sport mode, but she accelerates with far less effort than the average American minivan. If you had this complaint about Grand Caravan or Town and Country or Pacifica in eco mode ... for sure they're sluggish and fast merges take planning. With the Metris, I just step down a bit and she bites.

What were you driving before the Metris?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I've been driving early 2000s chevy astro and chevy pickup. Never owned a turbo. The issue is not lack of power, it's the 1 second delay before it hits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My van you cannot change modes. I think this is new for 2021? Possibly related to the new 9 speed transmission that is in them now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also have the 2021 with the 9 speed transmission. I have this same issue, and I really don’t think it is a turbo issue, even though it sounds like it may be based on your description. It’s an issue of the new 9 speed transmission. As you slow down for a turn, the transmission doesn’t shift down through the last couple gears until you come to a complete stop. So, if you almost came to a stop, but then press the accelerator, there is a pause before the transmission shifts down to allow you the power to accelerate again.
if you use the paddles, and force it to downshift to 1st or 2nd just before you enter the turn, you’ll notice it immediately has the throttle response that you’re expecting.

too much computer control, and not enough good programming…

·
Registered
2019 Passenger
1,728 Posts
I don't have any experience with the 9. I took a quick look at the 2021 manual and there is a simple reference to smashing the accelerator. No idea if there is some trick to getting that to work.

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Electric blue

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
24 Posts
I have experienced this same issue with my 2021 Getaway. On my van you cannot change it into Eco mode, which according to some people, might help with the throttle response issue. I found that the only way I can avoid unwanted "surge" is to press the gas pedal with constant, but high pressure, if that makes any senseo_O. It seems to surge more with quick accelerating presses on the gas pedal with increasing force as you push down with your foot. I once tried a quick acceleration from a standstill, in the exact same situation as you described, by just mashing on the pedal. The turbo lag and perhaps tranny response resulted in very similar behavior from my van.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
276 Posts
All this discussion makes me thankful I got a ‘20 instead of waiting another year. @patch.kit hit the nail right on the head. I am absolutely in love with the combination of the standard 2liter turbo and the 7-speed G-Tronic trans. The shifting computer always seems to make its up shifts and downshifts match my driving style of that moment, whether I’m in assertive mode or laid-back mode. I never use Eco mode - always Comfort mode.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
I don't think anybody uses or misses Eco mode, because the computer defaults to Comfort every time you start the vehicle ... and there's only so many times you're going to press that button. I gave up on pushing the button. A light right foot is better for fuel economy than that eco button.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't think anybody uses or misses Eco mode, because the computer defaults to Comfort every time you start the vehicle ... and there's only so many times you're going to press that button. I gave up on pushing the button. A light right foot is better for fuel economy than that eco button.
I've turned into a a regular Eco mode user on my '18 135 Cargo. Comfort mode makes the throttle response a bit too jumpy for my taste in stop/start driving. Eco mode seems more forgiving about accelerator pedal movement, especially off the line at low speed.

Back to the OP, my 7G-tronic van kind of jumps in C mode unless I am super careful to modulate the accelerator pedal very gently on start up.

I disagree that this is a "turbo lag" issue. The M274 starts hitting the turbo somewhere in the 1,400 RPM range, as I recall. There is virtually no turbo lag on Metris unless you drop the throttle to the floor from idle. In addition and surprisingly for a turbo, the M274 will let you get away with "lugging" it, i.e., low RPM in heavy load situations, without griping.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the replies. One thing I have noticed, is that if I reduce the throttle position to zero, and then apply any amount of throttle, thats when the delay occurs. If I maintain 10% throttle opening and then apply more, it responds right away.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for the replies. One thing I have noticed, is that if I reduce the throttle position to zero, and then apply any amount of throttle, thats when the delay occurs. If I maintain 10% throttle opening and then apply more, it responds right away.
That does sound like it could implicate the turbo.

·
Registered
Metris Cargo 135 2020
731 Posts
Yes, if you let off the gas entirely, hesitate, then want to motor fast, maybe she will need extra time as she is thinking you actually want to coast / decelerate.

I have an interstate on ramp near my house, up hill on ramp ... Coming from the traffic light stop or slow turn in, zero issue to get throttle response once the van is lined up ...

Same thing at highway speed. Zero issue to hit the next 10 or 20 mph from any speed, even loaded, to pass, fast merge, stick with traffic in the fast lane to get away from whatever cluster of vehicles that is frustrating you ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a '21 with the 9G and also experience this. We live in a town with a lot of roundabouts, and get this 1 second delay every once in a while when applying the throttle from maybe 5-10mph or so. It's not the turbo. It's more like there is no acceleration during this brief time, and then once it's in gear it goes (and potentially REALLY goes because you keep depressing the accelerator wondering why you aren't speeding up yet). That's why I suspect the transmission is in the middle of shifting.

That said, now that we've had the van for three months, I don't notice it as much as when we first got it. I don't know if my driving style has adjusted to account for it, or if it has actually gotten better or broken in somehow.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mine took about 3k miles to loosen up and for the electonics to adapt to you.
There's a good chance your driving style has adapted too so as to avoid the lag. I find that driving a van is kinda Zen (sorry) in that you need to find the vehicle's rhythm and just go with it. The van is very determined despite being an inanimate object.

Reactions: river
1 - 20 of 34 Posts