Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Since you addressed me directly, I'll respond. This website is not pleasant to read when it includes your vitriol. I would consider that in your posts. If you want to further the Metris brand, which appears to be your motivation, you might consider your religious slurs and over-the-top negative attitude is not conducive to that end. Someone who argues their position vociferously with facts can be helpful. Someone who resorts to belittling other's ideas without substantiation, especially when they ultimately prove the same conclusion, is just irritating, and not helpful. This is a wonderful forum. Let's keep it that way with friendly banter. Please.
Religious slurs?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Following up. I’m sure it’s regional. I don’t drive a ton, but spend a fair amount of time on the road in a major metro area. I can count the number of Metris(es?) I’ve seen on the fingers of one hand.

Only one other MB dealer in Phoenix had any Metris stock and all had more options than I wanted. I ended up at just over a 10% discount, which seemed fair.

But an inauspicious beginning. Get the paperwork done quickly at the dealer. Thinking to myself, I’m gonna be out the door in less than an hour. Get the keys, drive off the lot and it throws a check engine light as I’m entering the freeway on ramp.

Circle back, salesman is appalled and gets it back into the shop. Initial diagnosis is a faulty turbo connection (that’s salesman speak, I didn’t talk to the tech). Sales manager apologizes and they send me home in a GLC300. I’m not upset. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.
Think you did ok. I bought a 2020 126" cargo van with just the C14 convenience package -- and maybe part of this package or something separate but not listed it also has a first aid kit -- with a total suggested retail price of $29,520 for $27,649. The price was $27,502 plus $129 service/handling.

(Paid $1872 sales tax at the Department of Finance Administration here in NWA (Bentonville FDA). Do not have the M-B paperwork yet to register the van. Driving around with temp tags.)

I'm quite pleased with the van. When I filled the gas tank on the 6th the odo was 857. The engine is really starting to come alive. Helped in part I think because I am able to fill it with 91 ethanol free gasoline, at $2.29/gallon (!).

The van will never run like my (gone) MINI JCW let alone my Hellcat but for a 4200lb vehicle it has some get up and go. Gas mileage has come up some to around 23.1mpg this last fill up of 12.377 gallons. Average speed is 23mph. My MINI JCW got around 30mpg but its average speed was around 30mph, too.

Put a 4' by 6' area carpet on the cargo floor to protect the paint. (Wanted a 4' by 8' carpet which is the floor's dimension but couldn't find that size.)

Getting used to no inside rear view mirror and no windows besides the two windows one in each door. But the outside mirrors are pretty good and the back up camera likewise. However, the parking lot painted lines where I am are so darn faint. But I manage.

The A/C works darn good. Brakes are good. Road noise minimal considering it is essentially a tin can on wheels. But that's not being fair. The van feels quite rigid and solidly built.

Exploring getting the divider that goes behind the seats and either installing this or having it done at the dealer maybe. It would help to isolate the cargo area from the passenger compartment and give the A/C and (come this winter) the heater less work to do. Also exploring getting some plain panels to fit into the areas of the interior walls that are intended to take panels but which are just bare painted sheet metal. Just want to make the cargo area look a bit more finished.

·
Registered
2020 Metris worker cargo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I don’t think it’s been sitting two years since it’s a 2020.

Yep, my list price (vehicle only) was $29,520. I paid $26,241 plus doc, taxes and plate fees.

To their credit, I’ve received multiple communications from the dealer. Supposedly an intermittently bad sensor. Part overnighted, so should be running tomorrow. They will deliver and pick up the GLC300.

·
Banned
52 Posts
I don’t think it’s been sitting two years since it’s a 2020.

Yep, my list price (vehicle only) was $29,520. I paid $26,241 plus doc, taxes and plate fees.

To their credit, I’ve received multiple communications from the dealer. Supposedly an intermittently bad sensor. Part overnighted, so should be running tomorrow. They will deliver and pick up the GLC300.
Delivery is a nice touch to their credit. I hope you like it.

To Rockster: If no back windows bothers you, I found it pretty easy to put those in. I got mine from Van Windows Direct. I also bought a Mercedes mirror from Keenen M-B in Penn. on-line. It snaps in, and requires a new plastic bezel, which they provide. I found the right side sliding door window really is the most needed. It made a huge difference in visibility.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Put a 4' by 6' area carpet on the cargo floor to protect the paint. (Wanted a 4' by 8' carpet which is the floor's dimension but couldn't find that size.)
I'm curious what your cargo floor looks like, since mine came with Cargo Protection Package, so I can't see it. If your floor is painted metal with no plywood nor composite, would you mind posting a picture? It would be nice to see the whole cargo floor as well as a picture of any of the 4 quarters of the floor. Thanks in advance. I hope you enjoy the van. I like mine. If it's too big a hassle to move the carpet, could you peel enough back to see a quarter of the floor?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have been working on quieting my new 2020 cargo Metris down. Final step for this month is removing the floor and putting half thickness pink panther fiberglass insulation down, then re-installing the floor. There are only eight threaded holes in the metal floor (8mm x 1.25 mm thread). I circled all eight with black magic marker. Zoom in to see. Here are three pics:
Pic 1 - floor as I received it
Pic 2 - rear half with six threaded holes.
Pic 3 - front half with four threaded holes. (holes just in front of rear wheelwells show in both pics.
There are no other holes in the floor except for the ones with rubber plugs of various sizes and shapes right down the centerline. I don't know what to make of them - haven't looked into it.
But here you go, for anyone interested. The stock floor is real easy to remove and replace if you have a second pair of hands.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for sharing.

I guess that ( no threaded fasteners in the floor - which is logical for a vehicle without seats or lashing rails option ) means I will have to work on plan B or C to put fastener rails in ...

·
Banned
52 Posts
Thank you, River, the pictures are perfect. The four channels that run the length must be the channels where M-B installs seat rails, with the outside 2 channels being used for cargo L-track in my van. If you look under the van, you will see a reinforcing channel under each of those 4 channels dropping a couple of inches below the van. I believe to install seat track or L-channel, M-B drills and installs riv-nuts from above in those floor channels. No need to drop gas tank or worry about drilling into it as long as one stays in those channels and doesn't drill through the bottom of the reinforcing channel below. But, don't take my word for it. Please verify all measurements and that my interpretations are correct before you do so. I don't want anyone drilling the fuel tank. My fuel tank is below the underfloor reinforcing channel. If you measure between the channels in the floor, those measurements will be close to 14" between center channels and 41-1/4 between outer channels, center to center, and will match the center to center measurements of the reinforcing channels (box beams) below the floor. Thank you, again, for taking the time to take the pictures. It was very helpful!

·
Banned
52 Posts
Not to stray too much from the thread, but I noticed that, at the rear of the van, outside the inner walls, there are 2 pretty large holes, maybe 3/4". If you look at the rear corners, between outside and inside skins, you will see light entering these holes. Those are probably intended to let air and moisture escape the van. There was a thread where people were complaining about the rear doors not shutting easily. I think that problem is due to blocking the air escape. If you put a small vent in the wall, when you insulate and cover the walls in that rear corner, the doors should close more easily because the air trapped in the van can escape. My Ram Promaster City Van had similar vents with one-way flaps of plastic that allowed air to escape, but not enter. Remember when GM marketed "flow-through ventilation?" That is what they were selling - a vent in the door pillars.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
You don't even know what you write? Check other threads. They are obnoxious. Yes, religious slurs that are condemned by people of your faith. But, enough time wasted on your bad behavior.
I do know what I write, which is why I suspect you suffer from an overly vivid imagination, my friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, I've been lurking for a while reading this thread and 'tis a bit scary. Have you ever seend a sled test of seats? I have.
In a 45 MPH test of aircraft seats the freaking dummies lost their tennis shoes!!! Can you imagine the forces involved?
I too own a Cargo van, and I also had a set of rear seats and rails. After long consideration of the engineering involved I cane to the conclusion that I could not in good conscience allow any family or friends to sit in a retro'd seat.

Many folks would fancy themselves a qualified engineer, but I bailed on my project and I'm quite mechanically inclined.
MB did not place the requisite support structure in your Worker van and unless you are a qualified Mechanical engineer (PE) willing to put your family's welfare in the hands of your mechanical skillz you are tilting at windmills.

Irrespective of legal and other Regulatory issues.

Just sayin...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm curious what your cargo floor looks like, since mine came with Cargo Protection Package, so I can't see it. If your floor is painted metal with no plywood nor composite, would you mind posting a picture? It would be nice to see the whole cargo floor as well as a picture of any of the 4 quarters of the floor. Thanks in advance. I hope you enjoy the van. I like mine. If it's too big a hassle to move the carpet, could you peel enough back to see a quarter of the floor?
Is this picture sufficient?

Cargo Space.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back to some numbers RE: Pricing Help

🤞 I am going on a small trip to pick up my Metris tomorrow.

2020 Metris 136 Cargo
White, driver efficiency pkg, partition, towing, roof rails, glass on side and rear, 5 spoke wheels
37460 MSRP
33400 incl of 5yr extended warranty
+ dealer fee & sales tax.

I will be bugging you guys for some input on parts I have not found yet or decided on yet.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wrote this w/o the reply in response to VanGo and GML -- each of whom have treated me very well -- getting into it.

GML means well. He drives a nice van too. But I agree, especially during political season. Let's do better than the rest. We are all on leadership duty my friends.

This is a place I go to for fun and help, not to be insulted. Nobody likes to be talked down to (although at times my questions may invite it!) -- I assume, that like me, most of the forum users are people who want to know more about their vehicle than can be gleaned from MBVANS sales literature or most dealers -- unless they have a competent fleet sales manager who knows the DOG and the product. Bottom line is that most people here are already near power user status insofar as Metris is concerned. Being respectful -- particularly to those who have obvious ESL issues -- is always a safe place to start.

Peace friends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a place I go to for fun and help, not to be insulted.
As a recent reader of this forum, I appreciate your reality check. We are considering purchase of a Metris cargo for conversion to a camper and I've read many informative posts in the last couple of weeks, of which GML has been a wise contributor. From this limited perspective, VanGo's "religious" comment seemed out of place and not grounded, at least in what I've reviewed in my short time here. The written word is so easy to misinterpret, which I suppose to be the case here. I'm looking forward to continuing my education using this forum.

·
Banned
2,516 Posts
Being respectful -- particularly to those who have obvious ESL issues -- is always a safe place to start.
I didn’t realize that English not being my first language (my first being Yiddish) was all that obvious. I do my best to be respectful even if I do it in my own slightly snarky way. My issue with VanGo is two: 1) he consistently tries to insist on what are factually inaccurate perceptions, and 2) he keeps claiming I use religious slurs. I may be a tad obnoxious, I certainly suffer from a degree of arrogance, and god knows I’m snarky, but I don’t use religious slurs, and I find the assertion that I do rather offensive.

·
Registered
2020 Metris worker cargo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Even just lurking before buying and joining, I could tell who “that guy” on this forum was. Sigh.

Moving on from cult of personality issues, started my sound deadening project, ordered a bed mat and am starting on an internal mountain bike rack. Oh, and painted the wheels black for some contrast.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts