Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Metris worker cargo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long-time viewer, just joined.

I’m in Phoenix and am in the process of buying a Metris. Inventory is fairly limited. Based on pricing for used, it makes more sense to buy new. This will be a daily driver and mountain bike hauler.

So, 2020 Metris 126 cargo, standard build, which is on the lot. Only option is the C14 convenience package, plus delivery. Friendly salesperson at MB Gilbert. Right now, we’re at $26,570 plus tax, doc fees and license. AZ is somewhat high tax, out the door is $29,853.

Anyone recently done a similar deal and/or can comment? Thank you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There is no convenience package on the MBVANS website, and I don't have a 2020 DOG. What is it? The overall price looks really good. I got about 11% below sticker on my pre-ordered 2018 135.

·
Registered
215 Posts
C14 Convenience Package is NOT listed for the Metris Cargo but IS listed for the Worker Cargo. It includes F68 heated electric exterior mirrors, JF1 rain sensor, LC2 LED rear cargo area light, MS1 cruise control, and Y10 first aid kit. The list price for C14 package is $1145. List price for the base MMWC2G Worker Cargo is $27,180, whereas base price for the MMCA2G standard Cargo is $31,390. This is $4210 difference. If your van has C14 Convenience package on the window sticker, I believe it is a Metris Worker Cargo, which is a lot more spartan than the standard Cargo model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am also thinking it is likely a Metris Worker which $27.2 with $1200 Convenience Package ~$28.4 MSRP.
So, about 2 grand off MSRP, ... is probably fair.

I always think that 10% off msrp should be do-able.

You can try TrueCar or put in a phone call to another dealership with a similar vehicle on the lot to compare prices.

·
Registered
2020 Metris worker cargo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. It is, in fact, the MMWC2G with a base price of $27180, plus delivery ($1195) and the C14 package ($1145).

As I indicated, even in a huge metro area with about 6 MB dealers, inventory is very tight. Nothing really to compare it to pricing-wise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm actually shopping around as well. Had hoped to get a 2021 ordered and delivered this year, but with delays, looking at 2020s. Closest dealer (small) has 1. The one further away (bigger) has a few but only 1 long one, mostly barebones with one or two options. Even searching a 500 mile area, inventory becomes very limited, if you have a couple feature requirements. On the basic end, I think there should be some options though. Of course, how much you can lower the bottom line is the big question. End of the month, Black Friday, year end ... dealers may be motivated to drop their price a little ... but will / do they for commercial vehicles that are low in inventory?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Provided the doc fees are $100, not $500 or more, this sounds like a very respectable deal for you. I just bought a '20 at close to 10% off, but no extra fees were tacked on late. The reason the dealer has "only one van left" is that he found it impossible to sell that van. Actually, I think he tried to sell it to me if it's the dealer I talked to there. Metris does not sell well. The dealers I've talked to don't like them. They sell the ones they are "given" because they must. They don't seek them out. Given that it should be time for 2021s to show up, it's not good for the dealer to still have the van. You may even get it cheaper. Ask them when someone looked at it last, other than you. If he smiles, go for a better price. 😉

·
Registered
48 Posts
Doc fees are an annoying thing, and perhaps a ripoff, but I feel like, if I get a decent or good deal on the vehicle, I don't mind and am not going to haggle them over it. I stress the base price and let them have that bit. I chalk it up as expenses and wages for the various behind the scenes people; and try not to worry about it. Life is too short. A nearby US brand dealer advertises no doc fees, but then their vehicle prices don't seem that low, they up-sell on other things, ...

For Blatant's situation.

I would really suggest trying a couple other dealers. There is sufficient inventory to be able to save a little more or get a couple other goodies thrown in. The new ones will be coming before too long, I am thinking overall, that economic conditions are not all that great when it comes to vehicle sales in general and how many small businesses are buying new vehicles, and the dealers don't want to keep these in their inventory much longer.

I have contacted 5 dealers. Pretty quick an easy. Just internet and phone. Used two third party sites (auto trader and commercial truck trader ) to look at regional or nationwide inventory (because MB only seems to have that part figured out for personal vehicles ) Then look up the dealer site. Hit the get e-price button. Give your contact information. See what they want to do and if they're motivated.

I was pretty concise, this is my situation, this is my current vehicle, I need something a bit bigger than that that will still fit in my garage, so a Sprinter is out, my local dealer has 1 metris and it is bare bones, looking for something a bit better. So, I expanded my search, found you have a few in stock ... and I'm happy to drive a few hours for a nicer vehicle with a good deal.

All inquiries out of state. One dealer was " meh ". Another " this is like the last one, very unique vehicle and this is our MSRP, take off a little bit " (looked good, but was a '19 and short). Another, had our local MB dealer where we get our cars serviced, return the call with a different vehicle, something they had that I did not want, sales guy seemed annoyed that what I wanted was something more, thus would require a dealer trade etc. ( no, it doesn't, I simply wanted to deal with the out of state branch that has the vehicle, I can drive three hours and skip these hoops ).

Yesterday, three states over ... sales manager returns the inquiry ... quick conversation ... 5 min later in email I had what I considered a good number. Zero hassle. Talked some more. He heard I was motivated, trying to decide ... sweetened the deal yesterday afternoon. Deposit made this am. Now to work out the rest of the paperwork, pick a day and time and by next weekend I should have a new van. Crossing fingers. Knock on wood. Maybe for once I was a bit lucky actually, I know I have overpaid for vehicles in the past.

But, long story short:

Based on a motivated dealer experience, I think there is more wiggle room on the bottom line. Money doesn't grow on trees. Make a couple more inquiries. Let the local guy know you're comparing options.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On the market in general, I recently bought a Subaru Forester, the "official state car of Colorado" at better than 10% off. 6 months ago, I asked a Subaru dealer to discount a car and he literally laughed at me.
They were not discounting Subarus in Colorado, period. The resale value is amazingly good, at least in Colorado, which is why I bought one. But, due to Covid, my '20 Forester cost less than the two-year-old KBB price. The auto market is dead and beginning to revive. The van market is better because people are using them to escape Covid-19, but nobody even knows what a Metris is. I told someone recently that I bought a Metris and he was the first person I have talked to that had heard of it. I drove from Colorado to New Jersey last fall. I was driving, so, naturally, bored, and was considering buying a Metris, so I was looking for them on the road. The first and only Metris I saw was in western New York. I spotted that one easily on the freeway, so it wasn't that I was missing them. I didn't see another one on that 3 week trip. We who know and own them are a rare breed.
You might as well use that knowledge when looking to buy one. I bought mine from a fixed price dealer, but they still negotiated a little, and their first offer was almost 10% off list with no doc fees or other extras. I paid the price + taxes and temp. license fees and that's all.
Unless you love to drive, ask out of state dealers to arrange transport. They will pay half to a third of the advertised shipping prices. I checked pricing for shipping and got offers from $950 to $2000 to ship the Metris 400 miles. The dealer charged me $350. We couldn't drive and stay overnight for that price. That was the best part of the deal! I felt good giving the small-time shipper a job. He had my Metris and 2 ten ton air conditioners for someone else on his 2-car trailer behind his dually truck. Delivered to my door with a smile and good conversation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dude I’ve got another metris here on my block. They sell extremely well
The Promaster forum by the same people that run this forum has 22.5k members. The Transit forum, same publisher has 19.9k members. This forum has 3.7k members. Are Metris owners illiterate and don't use computers? No, that's not it!
Most people know what a Promaster is. Many people say, "A what?" when I mention Metris. I talked to a dealer in central CA and he sounded like the dealers in Colorado and Utah, where I bought mine. They like Sprinter. They sell themselves. Not so much for Metrises. I love my new Metris, but we Metris followers are not the masses. And that's just fine. But, you can get a better deal on a Metris if you realise that.

·
Registered
2020 Metris worker cargo
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Following up. I’m sure it’s regional. I don’t drive a ton, but spend a fair amount of time on the road in a major metro area. I can count the number of Metris(es?) I’ve seen on the fingers of one hand.

Only one other MB dealer in Phoenix had any Metris stock and all had more options than I wanted. I ended up at just over a 10% discount, which seemed fair.

But an inauspicious beginning. Get the paperwork done quickly at the dealer. Thinking to myself, I’m gonna be out the door in less than an hour. Get the keys, drive off the lot and it throws a check engine light as I’m entering the freeway on ramp.

Circle back, salesman is appalled and gets it back into the shop. Initial diagnosis is a faulty turbo connection (that’s salesman speak, I didn’t talk to the tech). Sales manager apologizes and they send me home in a GLC300. I’m not upset. I guess we’ll see how it plays out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a guess. Your Metris has been sitting forever in Phoenix sun, nobody cares it's there, and something went bad as a result. I've seen two dealer lot Metrises that had brand new batteries because they sat unsold and unattended for so long the battery crapped out. I hope the problem is simple and fixed to your satisfaction. They really are nice vans.

I believe you're right about being regional. Who wants a rear wheel drive with no limited slip differential in snow country? Unless you can park it and drive the Subaru. 😉

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hoping the technical issue is minor and easily resolved.

I skipped on a well featured new ‘19, in large part because I did not want a vehicle that had been sitting idle for nearly two years, months at a time in one spot outside, baking in the summer, freezing in the winter, baking in the summer ... can’t be good for the battery, tires, etc.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
What you are proposing is suggesting that the Mercedes S-class doesn’t sell well because Toyota sells 15 Camrys for every S-class Mercedes moves. Nevermind that in terms of ICE large luxury sedans it holds like 60% of the market. The Metris is in a class of its own; it has no direct competitor in the US. People buy Ford Transit Connects and Promaster Citys (well, when people buy those things, anyway) because they are cheap. Otherwise they tend to shop for the full-sizers because in the US of oversized spaces, there is not much advantage to going one size smaller for a few thousand dollar saving.

However, when you compare Metris sales to smaller van sales, it sells quite well compared to them, actually. In fact, lets use the Q2 2020 van sales; the Metris does better compared to the Ford Transit Connect (6700 TCs vs 3500 Metris or about 52% of the sales) than the Sprinter does agains the Transit (17950 Transits to 7260 Sprinters, or about 40% of the sales). My source Is Good Car Bad Car; actually here is a link: Convienent Link. Mercedes sells a premium-priced, oversized to class product in the Metris, and a premium priced, class leading model in the Sprinter, using a brand some are a bit reluctant to put on a work vehicle. Their sales are really quite good upon real analysis.

Furthermore, Mercedes dealers were given the option to take on a MB Vans distributorship; those who did so did it by choice, and at considerable expense. Do not illusion yourself that there are dealers with Metris vans who “don’t want them.” You can get money off of these things. You will, however, do best when you understand the actual motivations of the dealer, rather than some nonsense about them not wanting them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. There is some interesting and encouraging and confusing data in this year's sales. It does confirm that the market is in disarray as a result of Covid-19, with many brand's sales plummeting by 50% or more compared to last year. It is surprising and remarkable that Mercedes van sales are the only growth area. That is encouraging to us, who like Metrises. But the fact still remains that MB is not doing the van market a favor by failing to offer all Vito models in the U.S., and the absolute numbers, despite growth from last year, tell that story. Imagine what sales would be if they simply offered limited slip differential, since that is definitely hampering snow country sales. Then, think about how well a front wheel drive or, even, all wheel drive Metris would sell. Then, offer a passenger van in my long cargo van size and look at the sales increase. Next, add all the nicest Vito features and Metris might be giving Sprinter a run for its money. Of course, all those people switching to Metris may be doing it at the expense of SUV sales and I believe that is why it doesn't happen. As far as dealers wanting to sell Metris, you could get out more and talk to some sales guys. I just told you why they don't. That coupled with more profitable Sprinters makes for less Metris excitement. The dealers literally hide them on the back commercial lot and make you ask to see them, just like Ram, and, to a lesser extent, Ford. They make their money on SUVs and trucks. Why spoil that?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Blatant, you will love the van. It's so nice changing out of wet riding clothes in the van. Hauling the bike inside. Hope the CEL is nothing major. Also, mine sat for a while...never had any problems. I wouldn't want one that sat for two years though. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
First of all, Van Go, nobody would buy a Front Wheel Drive Metris. Nobody but Ram ProMaster buyers are nearly dumb enough (which logical; they buy FCA products after all). God Forbid Mercedes were to offer this in the US. Front Wheel Drive is inferior in every measurable way under any reasonable circumstance.

Offering a diesel version of the Metris is difficult politically, and regulatorily, and offering a wide range of engines is also difficult. Americans do not buy 4500lb vehicles with sub 100bhp engines, either, so there is little reasons to offer these small engine variants here, at all, especially not the tiny, low powered, Renault-engined variants you are suggesting with your FWD idea. You complain about a lack of inventory on dealer lots, and then you propose more variety. Low inventory of what you want on dealer lots is an inherent flaw in selling a Spanish built vehicle that is in VERY high demand on the continent over here. Dealers do not want a lot of variety on their lots, because that means it is harder to sell them. Ordering the vehicles is a 9-12 month process, as several members have experienced.

I further reiterate: Mercedes DOES NOT WANT to service the market that would demand the features you are suggesting they offer here. Not that they are indifferent to them, not that they are uneducated on the benefits of providing these creature comforts as options- they are AVOIDING, intentionally so, the buyers who would want those vans. The DO NOT WANT them to buy a $50k loaded Metris, they DO NOT WANT them to buy a $65k loaded V300, they want them to buy an $85k GLS450.

I wrote several long and detailed reasons for this in several posts on this board if you care to look for them. I had a discussion with one of the guys in charge of the van division about this personally. In this market Mercedes is percieved primarily as a purveyor of very expensive luxury vehicles, and they also sell these vans. For reasons I have detailed in excurciating detail elsewhere on this board, Mercedes very insistently does not want, under any circumstances, these two customer bases to cross. While I wish these features were available to us, from a business point of view, I ultimately agree with their reasoning. The truth is they make a lot more money from their other business than they do from this one, and the risk to the other one from that crossing is very real, given the nature of the American consumer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts