Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week I pulled the trigger on a 2020 Cargo Metris. I have loaded it with most available options, including Parktronic, Automatic Climate Control, and Trailer Hitch. I have left out Navigation. I prefer to use a stand-alone Garmin with a beanbag mount. I have also NOT included a right-side window in the door, as that would have mandated a partition, and also precluded the heat/cool duct to the rear. Neither have I included a left-side sliding door. I would rather have that area to put stuff in, such as a microwave to be powered by an inverter. This will be added next year. Also, I have discussed with Daniel from Travois Ontario the details of a right-side window and removable Captains chairs for the second row. This will also happen soon after taking delivery, hopefully by May or June. Check out the attachment to see the complete build. The picture is from the website configurator. I did not order roof rails, but did order alloy wheels. All else matches my order.

Comments please.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Van
Text Font Line Document Number

·
Registered
308 Posts
You got the trailer hitch. Does Mercedes still sell the wiring & control for module for lights separately? Adding that later requires knowledge seemingly only available in one or two Mercedes dealers in the entire continent.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Tree95, I wish I could give you an answer on this. The many discussions on the difficulties of retrofitting an acceptable trailer hitch on a Metris in this forum was one of the reasons I made sure that option code Q24 (Trailer hitch, 5000 lbs) was part of my order. The only thing I do know is that code E58 (Trailer Prewiring) is standard in all Metrises, including Worker models, beginning with MY2019. It is described in the 2019 DOG as "Trailer brake controller connection will be part of the vehicle standard in combination with the code E58 (no additional sales code)".

There is a statement in the 2019 DOG (page 2):
"For the full listing of accessories, please check www.MBA-ODUS.com"

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone who has knowledge of ordering Mercedes parts has this information.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Whats the primary use for this van? Multi-use? Not a fan of the factory aux battery, I think you get better value aft market.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@MOWO, The X27 Additional Battery package includes E28, the additional battery, which is 95 Ah, and also E36, Cutoff Relay for Additional Battery. I feel that electrics are the most complicated and easy to mess up (with my clumsy attempts at modifying wiring) part of a modern vehicle, and I wanted the factory guys to do that for me. Why are you not a fan of this aux battery? When the factory battery gets tired after five years or so, can't it be replaced with any 12V battery you choose, as long as it fits in the battery box and has correct post alignment?

Primary use? There's just me and my dog, and this will be my one and only vehicle, so pretty much everything. Daily errands, including bringing home pretty much anything that two people can carry (furniture, machinery, building supplies) as well as the groceries. Travel anywhere at short notice without needing to plan for motels or restaurants, if you have a sleeping bag in the back, and a chemical toilet, ice chest, microwave, and camp stove on board. Towing my 3000 lb utility vehicle on a trailer. Carrying amplifiers and musical instruments to a gig. Helping my grandson move. What can't you do with a Metris?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Nice build -- I agree with you on the auxiliary battery. Question -- Why not get the 135" wheelbase?

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@focus805, Just personally, I feel that 203” is just the perfect size for a van. I’ve had several Dodge Tradesman’s that size and it fits my needs. I did consider the extended, but thinking about it, there was never a time when I wished I had more length. I’m more likely to max out the towing weight than the payload.

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Gottlieb - All my previous vans had 180 doors with a detent which always seemed to suit my purpose. I have never needed to back up to a loading dock. In addition there is that magnet on each quarter panel getting in the way of washing and waxing with the 270's. I decided that I'd just do a carry if I ever had to back up to a dock in a tight situation, and make it easier on myself when waxing the rest of the time. But thanks for your close inspection of my build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts