Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy, I am looking for information on DIY install of insulation to control temperature and sound in my 2019 Metris Cargo Van (2 Sliding Doors). The insulation will go in prior to putting in shelving. Would love some idea on:
  • Products to use (quality products)
  • Possible Cost
  • Installations
  • Thoughts on what work should be contracted and what could be a DIY job
Please point me in the right direction before I lose my hearing on the freeway and freeze. HELP!

Thanks ;),

Amanda

·
Registered
869 Posts
Maybe add a little Rattletrap or equivalent butyl sound deadener, but just to supplement the wheel wells and a few panels, not wall-to-wall. .I intend to use 3M Thinsulate SM600L for my insulation. Non-water absorbent, I'm told hard-ish to cut. I'm stuck on paneling. Wish I had the factory plastic panels.

·
Registered
2016 Cargo converted into a camper van
340 Posts
Noico is another brand of noise attenuation material that works well. I used it in my 2016 cargo and it works good. https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deaden...g&qid=1583937502&sprefix=noico,aps,416&sr=8-5

The lower voids between the exterior sheet metal and the body have insulation stuffed into plastic bags that are coated with a heavy grease. Non-absorbent insulation in bags would be fast and effective. I used Noico and rigid foam foam in my van but the foam was very time consuming to install in the irregular shaped voids.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think the factory insulation bags may only come on the cold weather pkg, along with heated/larger windshield washer reservoir. I ordered a package of that "grease" from MB -- "Cavity sealant, solvent-free" -- after I installed my CRL windows to recoat the area. It's freakin' cosmoline, or it sure looks like it. I felt like there should have been a Mauser tucked into the body cavity behind the driver B-pillar to go along with it. Seriously, it reminded me of going to army surplus stores with my dad in the early '60's.

But I digress. Using plastic bags to contain the insulation is a good idea. Should minimize water absorption too. My "biggest" fear is that my respiration will rust the van from the inside out, even with lots of ventilation.

Reactions: MattyR

·
Registered
869 Posts
My body feels more galvanized every day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts