Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wanted to offer an update and review of my new 2019 Metris 135. This is my second Metris; the first one was a 2017 126 and it turned out to be a lemon (see my previous threads on the subject). Despite its issues I still loved the van. Mercedes replaced it with this new 135. So far I am very happy with it. The fact that it has the longer wheelbase and a factory hitch make it even better.

I've logged a little over 1000 miles; so far no sign of irregular tire wear (it shipped with Hankooks); the old van was severely worn on the inside edges of the front tires within 5000 miles due to faulty alignment (it had Continental Vancos). I'm averaging 19.3mpg out the gate carrying about 1000 pounds of kit and materials, with occasional towing; the old van struggled to get over 18 in the first few months of ownership, and its mileage didn't improve until after the first CEL episode.

I am cautiously hopeful that my new Metris will be perfectly boring to own as far as maintenance goes.

Things I love about my Metris:
  • Amazingly comfortable seats, even without the driver comfort package
  • Extremely easy to rack out, and the perfect size for storage and access of tools and equipment
  • I can carry 10' lumber and pipe, and a stack of full sheets of drywall or plywood, and close the rear doors
  • Decent gas mileage
  • Drives beautifully, with an extremely tight turning radius, and some pretty impressive braking power
  • Tows my utility trailer well, with good capacity; I'm enjoying the factory hitch and camera view
  • I like the simple, functional interior and lack of glitz
  • The overall design is extremely well thought out
Things I don't love about my Metris:
  • The shuffle play on the SD media option is terrible. I have hundreds of songs on my SD card, but the van shuffles the same 30 songs every time it restarts, even though its is set to shuffle the entire media library. Since I take frequent short trips, this is pretty aggravating. If there was a way to reset the shuffle algorithm to pick a different set of songs to play on each restart, it would be fine.
  • The bluetooth audio volume is weak when using my phone as an audio player; I have to plug in my phone to the USB port to get the volume to work well. The telephone works fine, though.
The day after I took delivery I put the racking system in. It's the same system I had in my original van, so I had to modify it a little to fit the longer wheelbase. There are photos in a showcase on my profile. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Like you I've been fortunate to experience zero issues on my '18 135 Cargo. The Hankooks are ready to be rotated (after Service A next week, 8800 miles), but show normal wear. I had some coolant spotting under the hood that went back to the dealer for a pressure test, no leak detected, spots gone after a wipe down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all, I wanted to offer an update and review of my new 2019 Metris 135. This is my second Metris; the first one was a 2017 126 and it turned out to be a lemon (see my previous threads on the subject). Despite its issues I still loved the van. Mercedes replaced it with this new 135. So far I am very happy with it. The fact that it has the longer wheelbase and a factory hitch make it even better.

I've logged a little over 1000 miles; so far no sign of irregular tire wear (it shipped with Hankooks); the old van was severely worn on the inside edges of the front tires within 5000 miles due to faulty alignment (it had Continental Vancos). I'm averaging 19.3mpg out the gate carrying about 1000 pounds of kit and materials, with occasional towing; the old van struggled to get over 18 in the first few months of ownership, and its mileage didn't improve until after the first CEL episode.

I am cautiously hopeful that my new Metris will be perfectly boring to own as far as maintenance goes.

Things I love about my Metris:
  • Amazingly comfortable seats, even without the driver comfort package
  • Extremely easy to rack out, and the perfect size for storage and access of tools and equipment
  • I can carry 10' lumber and pipe, and a stack of full sheets of drywall or plywood, and close the rear doors
  • Decent gas mileage
  • Drives beautifully, with an extremely tight turning radius, and some pretty impressive braking power
  • Tows my utility trailer well, with good capacity; I'm enjoying the factory hitch and camera view
  • I like the simple, functional interior and lack of glitz
  • The overall design is extremely well thought out
Things I don't love about my Metris:
  • The shuffle play on the SD media option is terrible. I have hundreds of songs on my SD card, but the van shuffles the same 30 songs every time it restarts, even though its is set to shuffle the entire media library. Since I take frequent short trips, this is pretty aggravating. If there was a way to reset the shuffle algorithm to pick a different set of songs to play on each restart, it would be fine.
  • The bluetooth audio volume is weak when using my phone as an audio player; I have to plug in my phone to the USB port to get the volume to work well. The telephone works fine, though.
The day after I took delivery I put the racking system in. It's the same system I had in my original van, so I had to modify it a little to fit the longer wheelbase. There are photos in a showcase on my profile. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
If you have the Audio 15 head unit, (and maybe the 10 as well) there is a setting somewhere that allows you to boost the audio. I believe it is in the sound settings, but you have to be using bluetooth audio at the time you try to access it. The choices are 'normal' and 'boost'. Boost brings it up to par with the others.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the Audio 15 head unit, (and maybe the 10 as well) there is a setting somewhere that allows you to boost the audio. I believe it is in the sound settings, but you have to be using bluetooth audio at the time you try to access it. The choices are 'normal' and 'boost'. Boost brings it up to par with the others.
Found it, thanks! It makes the daily drive much better. :)

Has anyone else experienced issues with random tracks on the SD card such as I have? Both the old van and the new one shuffled songs badly. I thought about making some individual folders with 30-track "mix tapes"... felt a little nostalgia for high school.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Random/shuffle just looks at the first hundred or so songs on the sd card. I ended up doing a little script on my computer to make a randomized list of all of the files on the sd card and then insert an incrementing number in front of each song on the randomized list. The head unit just plays them in order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts