Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! My name is Kurt and I am nearly ready to order my 2018 Passenger. I've been reading the Metris Forum for about a year now and still have some questions before I spec the van. The van will serve as basic daily family transport with an emphasis on long distance road trips in summer with camping gear, large dog, and canoe. I also require the occasional use of a utility trailer for materials transport or anything that I don't want to or can't put inside the van. I keep my cars a LONG time and I want this van to serve as many needs as I can think of now.

I'll order the trailer hitch, but my biggest question is about the PSM (ED5) and Bodybuilder Connector (EK1.) I sense from some of the forum threads relating to trailering and trailer brakes that the PSM may be necessary for an aftermarket trailer brake controller to work. Is this true in anyone's practice? I ask because the MY2018 Dealer Ordering Guide states that the EK1 is standard on the Passenger and that the PSM (ED5) is available as an option, while at the same time in the DOG introduction to advise client ordering, the EK1 and ED5 are not available together. What???? Is there an error in the DOG and/or the "Build" feature on the mbvans website? I want the EK1 Bodybuilder Connector (I am assuming it is standard as it is listed standard features) for future addition of 12V power for additional electrical, but REALLY need to know if the PSM (ED5) is necessary or not for the trailer brake controller compatibility. I had the dealer spec the van and was provided the ultra detailed option code list and it included the ED5 and EK1. Can I trust that the van will be delivered this way even though the DOG says the two options are mutually exclusive?

I realize I may not have worded this question the best, but I'm sure someone here has more info than I've received at two dealerships. If I don't learn anything new, I'll certainly share my experience with the van order and how it arrives. Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Based on the ordering guides I would guess the two are mutually exclusive and presumably selecting ED5 would delete the normally standard EK1.

On my passenger van the only thing I see powered from EK1 is the passenger side powered sliding door. The question would then be if EK1 does get deleted does that also remove the availability of a passenger side powered sliding door? I dont see that note called out in the ordering guides.

I dont know much about the PSM but my understanding is none of the functionality provided by the PSM (including the brake signal) is readily available to us. Any functions you want exposed need be programmed via a certified upfitter with the help of Mercedes.

Although technically possible I've yet to see anyone who's tapped the PSM for brake signal. There was one post from a tech who was able to source the brake signal from the SAM. http://www.metrisforum.com/forum/19...137-trailer-brake-controller-3.html#post22882

Others seem to have resorted to the Tekonsha Prodigy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts