Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! In late April 2019 I bought a black 2018 Metris and I have many plans for her. I first came to this forum looking for info and answer, I didn't find exactly what I was looking for. So I decided to document and post for those who might be looking for the same info in the future.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Phase 1 of the Audio/Video Build is the head unit. I have had many tv head-units in past vehicles. The 1 thing I definitely don't want is RCA in my A/V setup. I know it might sound stupid but my goal is to go all HDMI. I pulled my Pioneer SPH-DA120 App radio 4 from my old van to use as a starting point as I plan to upgrade to a pioneer nex head-unit with wireless CarPlay. I'll try to post the pictures in order and links but part numbers or names for sure as that was my biggest issue. Here is a pic where I started from and where Phase 1 finished

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parts I needed:
1. Radio Dash Kit
Metra 99-6512 Single DIN / Double DIN Installation Kit for 2007-2008 Dodge Sprinter Vehicles
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JSYFLC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

2. Radio Harness ( doesn't work perfectly had to make 1 mod to make it work right)(link picture looks nothing like part)
AXXESS - Interface Adapter - Black Model:XSVI-9005-NAV
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/axxess-interface-adapter-black/5257622.p?skuId=5257622

3. Factory USB Retention cable
Baoblaze 4-pin USB head Male Converter Cable AUX Adapter For VW Volkswagen Bora Magotan 1.5mhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTJHWKR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4. Factory Backup Camera Retention Cable
Fakra E male or Fakra green male to USB
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZWXK6O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

5. factory antenna Retention cable( Adaptor)
Metra 40-EU10 Antenna to Radio Adapter Cable for Select 2002-Up BMW/Volkswagen Vehicles
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000329HEK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pics of my process.
I pulled the ac vents off with an upholstery tool. Pulled the radio with the 4 bolts(forgot the size I'll add it here later). Pulled the Radio harness, usb, camera, and antenna from the unit. Plugged in all my adaptors and harness. Bolted the radio is so i could test it a listened to tunes while I ran the mic and navi cable. I opened the door to go to the other side of the van to run the mic and the radio turned off. Not gonna go into much detail on my next thought or calls I made to not get much of a resolution. Cut Acc from radio harness i soldered and ran a wire for accessory turn on from the fusebox to power the pioneer. Issue Fixed. Dropped the overhead console put the mic in the passenger mic looking slot. Put everything together. And Phase 1 was complete

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phase 2 started at the same time as phase 1 but I knew it was gonna take me a while to get what I need. Not sure exactly where to find all the parts but I think I'm on the right track. I need a HDMI matrix (switch and splitter in 1). Phase 2 is to install 4x11.6 headrest pole Screens, run multi-wire and HDMI through the seat, run the HDMI from the head-unit and 4 screens to the under driver seat compartment. And connect them to the HDMI Matrix. This is just a Preview, I ordered 1 screen to test fit and I think its a bit big but the kids love it so I guess it stays.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also run multi-wire from 4 screens to under driver seat compartment. Run power and acc. from fuse panel to my own fuse panel to power everything in Phase 2 and Phase 3 of A/V

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great post. I’m getting ready to upgrade to a pioneer unit also. Hopefully someone can help. I’ve figured out most of the connections on the stock radio. Black (coax) is the antenna, green (coax) is backup camera, purple (4-pin) is USB. What is the blue 4-pin connection for?

·
Registered
52 Posts
nice work.

I am waiting to see if the headunit from the facelifted Vito is compatible with our vans.
I just checked the UK site...they're offering the Audio 40 as an option which is great, but I'm waiting, and hoping, for the twin 12" screens with the MBux 'Hey Mercedes' system as in the new A Class. I suspect I'll be waiting until the W447 is superseded.

I was a little disappointed with the upgraded screen on the new Sprinter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Found the answer to my question about the purpose of the blue Fakra connector on the back of the stock radio on the sprinter forum. Audio 15 radio on the sprinter is same as the Metris. The blue Fakra connector is for the GPS. I’m assuming the connector is for the Becker Map pilot and GPS antenna. Since my new head unit has GPS and Nav I won’t be using the existing cable.

Blue = GPS / Becker map pilot
Purple = USB
Green = rear camera
Black = AM/FM antenna

1 - 12 of 12 Posts