Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's van. She said the "engine" MIL illuminated during a short drive yesterday. No other problem. She stop to re-fuel and light did not come on again. Pulled the P0627 "Fuel Pump A Control Circuit-OPEN" code with Innova OBD reader. I drove the van for an hour this morning with no issues. Any chance this is a transient issue? Could see that if it was a loose/broken ground wire problem. Looks like all the other culprits would be more permanent. Maybe. Thoughts? Where's Robb when you need him :-(

• A defective fuel pump
  • A defective fuel pump relay
  • Electrical components in the CAN Bus harness, like wiring or connectors, that are corroded, open, or short
  • Loose control module ground strap
  • Broken control module ground wire
  • Defective CAN Bus
  • Poor electrical connection in the fuel pump circuit
  • Open or shorted fuel pump harness

·
Registered
10 Posts
My van is in the shop right now for the same code. I also have low pressure at fuel rail code. My wife was sitting at a red light and the engine just died. I will let you know what the issue is when the dealer gets back to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I reset the code the day I pulled it and it has not come back nor has my wife had another issue since. I don’t believe in vehicles self healing...so I’m waiting for my wife to call me from the stop light! I will appreciate your feedback post dealer service. Thanks.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bah. Seems I am also afflicted by the P0627 code now. Van threw it a couple weeks ago and cleared before I could call anyone. Threw it again today and stalled while backing into the street. I haven't seen anyone post a resolution yet. Will be filing another NHTSA complaint as I was in the street and moving when it stalled.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Last summer, I received P0627 or another fuel related error over a period of 3 months.
In each case, the van stalled 30 seconds or so after starting it followed by the check engine light. The van restarted OK, and the CIL went off within 24 hours.

Mixed in with those issues, the power steering failed in the middle of nowhere Nevada. 10 minutes later, I stopped for a bathroom break, and then **** thing stalled 30 seconds after starting it! I said bad words.

After each stall, I took the van into the dealer. They replaced fuel pump, fuel controller, fuel level sensor, and a stuck vapor recovery valve. (But, I actually think that was something else mixed in with the stalling problems even though the service guy claimed the sticky valve could explain the stall problems).

In each case, the van stalled again within a week of getting back from service (one time, the next day). They finally replaced the engine MCU, and I haven't had a problem since (14,000 miles later).

Fortunately, the fuel issues were covered under warranty, and the dealer managed to get MB corporate to give me a break on the $4100 list price for a new steering system as that failed 2000 miles out of warranty. (they only replace the entire steering mechanism, electronics, and electric motor as a unit).

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bah. Seems I am also afflicted by the P0627 code now. Van threw it a couple weeks ago and cleared before I could call anyone. Threw it again today and stalled while backing into the street. I haven't seen anyone post a resolution yet. Will be filing another NHTSA complaint as I was in the street and moving when it stalled.
Happened again over the weekend with a stall while moving again. MB pulled the codes for low fuel pressure and the fuel pump, drove it around for a while and eventually decided to update the software on the FSCU. Also noted that the issue seems to happen every 33 key cycles. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've been throwing that code too; always happens right after startup . P0627= fuel pump controller. I've been collecting a few issues before I head to dealer service; there's also that recall for the fuel line leakage and I've been getting a 'exterior light malfunction' display on the dash after I depress the brake pedal although all lights are functioning. Maybe I can have one more failure before I bring it in to kill 4 birds with one stone. Still love the van!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally got my van back from the dealer. I took them 2 weeks to figure out the p0627 code and what was actually wrong with the van. They originally thought it was a leak in the evap return line, so they changed that. I got the van back and the next day it died on me. They updated software in the computer and that still didn't work. They pulled the fuel pump out and ran tests on it with no issues. When the checked the fuel control module there was a problem with that, so they changed it out and I have the van back. Drove it 300 miles so far with no issues.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Happened again over the weekend with a stall while moving again. MB pulled the codes for low fuel pressure and the fuel pump, drove it around for a while and eventually decided to update the software on the FSCU. Also noted that the issue seems to happen every 33 key cycles. We'll see what happens.
and it's back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My wife’s 2017 Pax van has had this issue 3, maybe 4 times in the past 3 months. Always after driving for at least 30 minutes, shutting down for 15-30 minutes, then restarting. Engine will shut off within a few seconds of starting with the Check Engine light coming on. Always starts on second try. Check Engine light will stay on for the next 3 trips then goes out on the forth start/trip. Engine runs normally otherwise.

I have cleared the code with my reader and tried disconnecting battery but the problem has come back each time. Random. Haven’t noticed any other pattern. I have a service scheduled next Thursday so the games are about to begin. I will follow up with what the MB boys find...or don’t!

·
Registered
257 Posts
33rd key cycle?
Pretty sure the key count was a red herring. MB has had it for a week with zero progress as to why this is recurring. If it was just the engine light I wouldn't be too worried but the stalling is an issue. I think this is another good example of how car companies are not software companies even though they should be.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the wife’s Metris in for service on the intermittent P6027 code issue. Quizzed the service tech (hellava nice guy) on the issue and he told me they had the exact issue on their loaner Metris. If I understood everything correctly, there is some electronic metering gizmo which feeds gas to the fuel pump. When it takes a sh#t, it defaults to full fuel flow/full fuel pressure and triggers the “Check Engine” light. Engine stops when the metering gizmo takes a nap. The engine will fire up on next key turn with the default full fuel flow. Three driving cycles will re-set the Check Engine light if the metering gizmo comes back to life...until it craps out again. The only problem is if the metering gizmo permanently takes a nap...the high pressure fuel going to the fuel pump can cause the fuel pump to fail in the long run. You’d know because the Check Engine light will stay on past three driving cycles. Awaiting new metering gizmo. May be coming from Germany. Got a Metris cargo loaner until repair is made. Will post more specifics once I have service paperwork in hand

·
Registered
257 Posts
Van is back, MB replaced the in tank fuel pump this time around. The novel on the repair order says the van was dipping below the minimum fuel pressure under heavy load and would throw the code when that happened while running. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on MB service for wife's Metris. Dealer had van for 3 days as the Mother Ship wanted testing done on the vehicle for the P0627 code. The original gripe was after the van was driven (usually a half hour or more) and then parked for half an hour to an hour, it would stall a few seconds after starting back up. Check Engine light would be on, but van would start and drive normally. After 3 driving cycles the Check Engine light would go out. Happened at least once a month for 3 months prior to taking to dealer for service. Here's the the dope from the Service Invoice...

START AND STALL
internal controller failure in fscu (Fuel System Control Unit) intermittently
connect ads and short test found code P062700 stored in FSCU.
Fuel pump passes guided test with .6 Amps.

LI47.00-N-069277 applies to vehicle.
created PTSS case #000133986 disconnect fscu and check pin tension, inspect wiring harness from fscu to fuel pump.
remove fuel and and inspect connector for debris and pins for tension. remove fuel pump retaining ring and lift pump for inspection (as per PTSS).
no problem found during inspection. connect battery charger and ads and replace fscu as per PTSS instruction. had vehicle driven over a few days
allowing to set in between test drives to confirm repair.

FP number 000-900-92-13 Control Unit Cost $0.00 (under warranty)

Time will tell if this is the fix. My only concern is if the new part is of the same batch or a new and improved controller. If it is the same as the old one...the problem may reoccur down the road. Maybe.

During the 3 days my wife's Metris was being probed...we had a Metris Cargo loaner. Drove just as nice as our pax version but visibility sucked with no side windows. Had the see-through cargo partition which was a blessing, but really missed the blind spot assist in heavy traffic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts