Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks - while this is a relatively "quiet" forum, I appreciate everyone sharing their insights on the Metris. This vehicle certainly flies under the radar to an extent; I visited three dealers last month in an attempt to order a 2017. The first one was pretty dismissive, the second one was friendly but clueless (said it was front wheel drive, called it the Metrix a few times in emails). I finally had some success with the third dealer this week. The 2017 order guide is out, and it appears the Metris is relatively unchanged from 2016. They divvied up the Active Safety Plus package and made smaller option groupings (although you can still order the old Active Safety Plus under a different name). Interestingly enough, while the option prices are set, the actual base price of the vehicle is not. My dealer and I assumed a 2% base price increase on the order. The deals people are getting on 2016 models are not in play on the 2017 - yet. The dealer seemed amenable to $1k off MSRP but that's about it - unless MB incentives are in place by delivery time. I wasn't super aggressive, I just wanted to split MSRP and invoice. While my dealer was able to submit an order, he didn't think it would be in production until December, and probably not stateside until February. So it's going to be a long wait. I'm an architectural photographer and ordered a cargo Metris to make my job a little easier - I travel with a lot of lighting and camera equipment and humping it into a Subaru wagon a couple times a day is a real hassle. Was hoping that 4Matic would make an appearance (I'm in the mid-Atlantic) but honestly snow tires will probably be enough for the few days a year AWD is needed. If I may anticipate questions - I didn't leave with a copy of the new order guide but some of the conflict idiosyncrasies have not been resolved, e.g. one can't order the cargo protection package and the auxiliary battery package together. I ended up choosing cargo protection and will probably fit a separate house battery over time. I did option out the Metris pretty heavily, I wanted to make it a bit more livable as a daily driver. And no word on the crap mirrors - I might have to order convex versions from Germany. They really are terrible. One of the few demerits of the vehicle, along with the non-telescoping steering wheel. Luckily I have long Gumby arms.

·
Registered
98 Posts
According to my dealer, the 2017's are "supposed" to get the convex mirrors. We'll see. But yeah, the '17s are relatively unchanged.

If you are in the Mid Atlantic region, MD/DC/VA, I can put you in touch with the places where I scouted my Metris. All of them were knowledgeable about the van and were able to answer most of my questions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the offer! I ended up at MB of Catonsville, which is the dealer closest to me and the commercial vehicle manager seemed to know his stuff. No complaints with the dealer process so far, although it's surprisingly informal.
I do think MB is a little disorganized with the 2017 Metris at the corporate level - my dealer is not quite sure why it took them so long to get out the order guide, it's rather late in the year. And the production timeline is still shrouded in mystery.
Maybe when they move production to SC in a couple of years it will be a little more streamlined.

The Metris is a unique product in the market and I hope it gains in popularity. I haven't seen too many in the wild. I was thinking about a Transit Connect before it came out, as I can't own anything that won't fit in a parking garage - based on my work requirements. This is larger with a great option sheet and a better powertrain. Very excited to take delivery.

·
Registered
179 Posts
some of the conflict idiosyncrasies have not been resolved, e.g. one can't order the cargo protection package and the auxiliary battery package together. I ended up choosing cargo protection and will probably fit a separate house battery over time.
Well, you did that the right way. I - unfortunately - went the other way by ordering the Aux Battery package from the factory thinking those panels would be an easy get. So did my salesman. Wrong. I'm still trying to get the upper panels for both sliding doors and have been told at multiple MB levels that they aren't available separately. Grrrr. I have one more avenue that I'm pursuing but after that, I guess it's going to be a custom job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, you did that the right way. I - unfortunately - went the other way by ordering the Aux Battery package from the factory thinking those panels would be an easy get. So did my salesman. Wrong. I'm still trying to get the upper panels for both sliding doors and have been told at multiple MB levels that they aren't available separately. Grrrr. I have one more avenue that I'm pursuing but after that, I guess it's going to be a custom job.
I owe you a thanks for the choice I made - I recall the thread discussing this issue. I thought a battery and fuse panel might be cheaper than a custom panel job. I still think it's kind of silly of MB to prevent the combination, though.
Long term I'd love to re-panel the cargo area into something reminiscent of the Outside Van Sprinters. A DIY version, I can't afford their work.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did option out the Metris pretty heavily, I wanted to make it a bit more livable as a daily driver.
Welcome to the forum and the members who are Professional Media Creatives using the MC for their business! Like you, I was originally looking at the TC...that is... until the 2016 customer cash incentives put the MC (just barely) within our budget. We also carry a lot of gear from event to event and not having to load/unload everything has been a boom to productivity and efficiency. At least you had a 'wagon'... I drove a pickup truck with gear for close to 8 years! To think I can count on one hand how many times we were caught transporting between gigs in the rain is a blessing for sure.

At first, I wanted the cargo protection package, but since we will eventually upfit the cargo area with paneling for occasional outside broadcasts, it would be better to just spend on other options, which included the oem trailer hitch (better design/ground clearance, TSA, rear-cam trailer hitch zoom) and ECO Start Stop (gives the MC a 'electric hybrid' feel at stop lights/traffic... passengers have taken notice more than a few times).

You know how when you buy vehicle and then you start to see it everywhere you go. Haven't happened with the Metris. In the past 2-3 weeks since ownership, I've yet to see one on the roads of NC yet. For me, thats good and bad. The lack of aftermarket accessories will probably be prolonged, but the 'exclusivity' on the road and on location with clients bodes well with company branding and image. Though the Sprinter and Transit van drivers on the highway take notice quickly when I pass them... often many pick up speed to 'convoy' with us. :grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a silver cargo $ 1300 off msrp. Could not find silver with exterior pkg. so have to paint bumpers and buy wheels . Gets pricey. Dealer said, a 4 month delivery and did not know of a dealer incentive. Hope this van treats me well. Never thought i would buy M B

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update time! I ordered two months ago. I understand my van was built around 11/7, dealer said around 60 days to arrive in SC from build date. It's looking like a mid-January delivery. This is a quiet time of year in my business, so I'm content to wait a while - not in any rush for the payments to start. Although I'm disappointed I won't get the tax benefit for this year.

bondo, one of the things I like about the Metris is the unpainted bumpers and their theoretically cheaper replacement cost. I live in Baltimore and deal with street parking quite a bit. Bumpers take a beating around here, lots of idiots who park by feel. And loading gear tends to scratch things up. Save the cash - they might not look good for long! I ordered mine in Iridium Grey Metallic to knock down the contrast a bit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Body shop told me he wouldn't paint the standard cargo van bumper. That pebble texture he said will make the paint not last at all. I'll probably go with a quality tuning body kit in the early spring.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally took delivery of my 2017 cargo Metris earlier this week. I'm still on my first tank of gas, so my impressions don't come with a ton of experience - but I'm surprised at how much I like driving it. This is the first time I've owned a van, and I kind of wish I had bought one earlier. Moving my camera gear around is a lot easier, and basic household stuff (like going to the dump) is a pleasure. The Metris has a remarkable level of refinement for a steel box. It's fairly quiet (I have the factory cargo partition with window), good suspension (my 2014 Subaru had a more abrupt ride over broken pavement), fantastic visibility, comfy seats, good ergonomics. Demerits so far are few. I wouldn't mind if the cargo partition was about 2 inches further back. I'm 6'1" and I'd think twice about ordering the partition if I were much taller (or preferred sitting a mile away from the steering wheel - as it happens, I like being up close with ample pedal authority). The driver mirror is still flat but I have the blind spot package as insurance. (Passenger side mirror is aspherical and works well. I also ordered the fixed glass in the passenger slider.) Glove box is pretty darn small. I don't think cab storage is stellar, really. There's a big gap between the front seats, and with the partition I think an opportunity for a storage console (not like you'll be walking through to the rear). I also wish they'd pad the door armrest. The head unit is archaic but it sounds fine. No problems running my iPhone through it. Rear view camera might be pointed a bit low. It's also the first one I've ever had so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Options that I'm really happy I went with: cold weather package, definitely. Instant warm vent air and the heated seats are super. Cargo protection package, mainly for the big LED bar at the rear. Really lights up the cargo area at night. And of course the tie down tracks are very handy. And I think the driver comfort package is worth it, too.

I'm hoping this thing stays screwed together, functional, and comfortable for a LONG time. It is the most money I've ever dropped on a vehicle. But so far I'd say it's worth it. If any of you are still thinking about one I'd recommend it. And ordering one to your spec is worth the wait.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
This is the first time I've owned a van, and I kind of wish I had bought one earlier. Moving my camera gear around is a lot easier, and basic household stuff (like going to the dump) is a pleasure.
Same here. Drove a Ford Ranger for my video production business for over 5 years. Pack/Unpack at every event and hotel stays, plus worrying about weather, etc. Just glad I found a van that fits my needs and drives and looks well. Funny, I go to the dump also and don't have to worry about shipping cardboard, plastic and other office disposal flying out. I have the 270 degree doors and when I back up with them on the sides, I always get a few looks and questions. I really love the 270s for load/unload in tight places and docks. By the way, are you in Video Media production? I think you'd be the 4th or 5th member here deploying a Metris for this industry. I'm primarily Sports, Conference/Continuing Education & Live Stream Video.

I wouldn't mind if the cargo partition was about 2 inches further back. I'm 6'1" and I'd think twice about ordering the partition if I were much taller
I'm 6'2 and I agree. A couple more inches would have been really nice, but I was promised it'd be an easy sell if I didn't like it and the dealer upfitter would remove it for free. After 3 hour drives, I have not had much discomfort and it helps isolate the cargo area road noise to a decent degree and definitely helps out with climate control.

I have the blind spot package as insurance.
Probably the most underrated and most appreciated option thats available. Just one 'close call' or accident and you're glad you got it...or WISH you HAD! It has really got me to use my signal indicator all the time now. Active Safety Package is money well spent.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you'd be the 4th or 5th member here deploying a Metris for this industry.
I noticed this as well - and I know one other shooter here in L.A. that has a Metris and got a call from another one today asking about mine. I'm do network news/news magazine and corporate stuff.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, are you in Video Media production? I think you'd be the 4th or 5th member here deploying a Metris for this industry. I'm primarily Sports, Conference/Continuing Education & Live Stream Video.
MOWO, I'm an architectural photographer - no video, strictly stills. I don't have nearly the amount of stuff you video guys hump around, but I do have an Inovativ Scout 36 cart I work off of, a couple of lighting cases, light stand bags, sandbags, grip gear, ladder, etc. On longer trips when I add a suitcase it used to get pretty cramped in the Subaru. Last year I brought an assistant on a job and I was absolutely maxed out with her luggage too. I'm glad to have more breathing room. I did order a ramp so that I might keep the cart assembled and roll it right out the back. I went with the massive liftgate instead of the 270 doors. I like camping and landscape photography - on rainy days I can set up the tripod and get the camera bagged under the protection of the liftgage before hiking out. I think the Metris is about the perfect photo vehicle, although I imagine cost is a deterrent for most still photographers (it was tough for me to swallow!) - the video world seems to have better budgets.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I noticed this as well - and I know one other shooter here in L.A. that has a Metris and got a call from another one today asking about mine. I'm do network news/news magazine and corporate stuff.
Well, the Metris is a logical choice for Media production work. Just the right size for hauling tons of gear to even a small 'Live' truck. I've done a a few remote live-streaming sports events and at 6'2", my head clears the roof near the center just enough with your standard office chair. I saw pics of your van outfitted in another thread. NICE. Still in my planning stage for anything permanent.

We may just have to start a "Metris For Creatives Master Thread" :grin:

·
Registered
470 Posts
MOWO, I'm an architectural photographer - no video, strictly stills. I don't have nearly the amount of stuff you video guys hump around, but I do have an Inovativ Scout 36 cart I work off of, a couple of lighting cases, light stand bags, sandbags, grip gear, ladder, etc. On longer trips when I add a suitcase it used to get pretty cramped in the Subaru. Last year I brought an assistant on a job and I was absolutely maxed out with her luggage too. I'm glad to have more breathing room. I did order a ramp so that I might keep the cart assembled and roll it right out the back. I went with the massive liftgate instead of the 270 doors. I like camping and landscape photography - on rainy days I can set up the tripod and get the camera bagged under the protection of the liftgage before hiking out. I think the Metris is about the perfect photo vehicle, although I imagine cost is a deterrent for most still photographers (it was tough for me to swallow!) - the video world seems to have better budgets.
Hey good deal. Everyone seems to have a specific reason(s) for going with the liftgate or 270 doors. Kind of curious which will give the vehicle higher resale value/demand when the time comes. Those carts are great. I can only hope to get a few gigs that would warrant me to buy one soon. I got this aluminum 7' folding ramp for my mobile rack and the length make the ascend/descent grade manageable.

Attachments

Reactions: flacaproductions

·
Registered
81 Posts
My wife and I are wildlife photographers with additional interests in landscape, architectural and even macro photograph. Between us we have a lot of equipment to haul and the Metris is perfect for what we do. One of us will use the area inside the sliding door while the other uses the rear cargo door area to set up and organize our equipment for a shoot. The Metris we purchased came with the good stuff we wanted up front but is basically a metal box behind the drivers seat. We picked up an end of year 2016 model. Not sure if the deep discount off of sticker posting was a good deal or the typical selling price for our area but we are happy with the purchase. With our previous vehicle, a Toyota Rav 4, we were concerned about potential equipment theft because of all the windows even though we kept everything covered. So we now have no rear windows at all. A little extreme we initially thought however we soon became comfortable without windows and feel that our equipment may be a little more secure. I will eventually be installing Slick Locks on the slider and rear doors. We had the opportunity to sit in a Metris with an installed cargo partition and decided this is not an option we wanted despite the security benefits. It didn't feel comfortable for me, forcing a more upright setting position and not allowing me to slide back far enough. Even thought I am only 6' I like to set back from the wheel more then the partition allowed and we like to recline the passenger seat on long trips. Plus it is nice to be able to get directly to the drivers seat if using the van as a camper.

So what did we get. 270 deg rear doors is a good choice in our opinion. Allows us to open the cargo doors in our garage with the garage doors closed and to back up very close to an obstacle for loading and unloading. Also less chance the wind will catch a door and slamming shut. Trailer Hitch. I do have a utility trailer so a hitch was important. I asked the dealer how much they would charge to install a hitch on a van that did not have one. He told me their dealership would not install a hitch because of considerations involving suspension and other components related to braking an handling built into vans with the factory hitch. Not sure how true that is but we decided to go with a factory hitch. Color Brilliant Silver Metallic. All other cargo vans on the lot were white as was the case at other dealerships we visited. I like white a lot but my wife prefers other options so we were lucky to find silver one that was equipped mostly the way we wanted. The interior cargo paneling package is nice. Easily removed and re-installed after I installed sound deadening and insulation. Heated mirrors, Drivers Comfort Package, Drivers efficiency package, Cold weather package, and Multi function wheel/display package rounds out the options.

Goal is to set the van up in a similar configuration to the Marco Polo camper version sold in Europe. I found a sturdy rock and roll type bed frame, previously used on a RV, on craigslist that I will modify and re-upholster. I am good at finish carpentry so I can produce the cabinet configuration I come up with in my final design. I want to make the interior modular so we can add or remove components as needed. I will be installing an auxiliary 12v battery system along with solar panel and a shore power system for external charging. I may install a window in the sliding door. I received a reasonably quote for a factory window installation but decided to wait until Mercedes or others comes up with a suitable operable window. Decided we did not need rear windows, the back up camera works great for us and as I mentioned earlier its a security thing.

What I have done so far. Installed sound deadener. Selected Nico brand 80mil and feel I very happy with the choice. Comes in square sheets 9 to a box and I bought 4 boxes (have a few sheets extra). Installs nice and it is butyl so no lingering smell. I have installation methods that simplify if any are interested. It is heavier than I expected perhaps 50 mil would be sufficient. Regardless, it makes a big difference in road and wind noise. Have done some insulation but will wait until wiring done to complete. I put deadener and thin insulation on the metal floor and installed cargo tracks in the wood floor. The cargo track I selected was Sure-loc Flanged series L-track. I bought on line from Disabled Passenger Resources. Quite a few sites sell L- track and perhaps they're all the same but decided to go with a company that specializes in Wheel chair installations figuring they would sell a quality product. I installed Lonseal Londeck Coin flooring that is used as decking in Sea Ray boats. Really good stuff. A guy is selling it on eBay in 5' x 7.5' lengths for 174.00. Had to do some splicing between wheel wells but got the floor covered and its the best. Just realized I am rattling on here more than expected so it's best I curb my enthusiasm for now

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can't recommend slicklocks enough. I have had them on my Metris doors (passenger side and back barn doors) from square one - EXCEPT the drivers side slider bracket which i have been told for MONTHS is "coming soon". (despite it currently being offered for sale on their site - they'll take your money but don't currently have the product to deliver. that's the part that really pisses me off.)

These people make a good product and it has been part of my security plan from the beginning but quite honestly, they have really let me down as I'm STILL waiting for the long-promised drivers hardware. They have given me a partial refund and shipped me a better-designed piece of hardware for the passenger side but all i really want is the drivers side that they promised - and that i paid for - MONTHS ago.

If it ever shows - and i'm confident that it eventually will - it'll be a true challenge to get into my cargo area if you have less-than-pure motivation.

I found that a little rubbing alcohol and a bit of elbow grease removed the slick lock logo from the black rubber covers helps them blend in even more to my black Metris. Bulkhead, no windows, slicklocks and you're good to go.

The only things I'd change on mine is a rear hatch instead of the barn doors (rain/sun cover) but you can't get it without a window, so barn doors it is - I would have also preferred to be able to get the full interior cargo wall protection from the factory but it conflicted with the dual-battery setup (for some CRAZY reason) so I let the factory install the battery set up and have since had a **** of a time getting the walls lined. It's finally done but i'd caution anyone to be careful with un-lined cargo area as the metal is somewhat delicate and can easily be dented from the inside-out. Ask me how I know - but it's nothing a call to the paintless dent-removal guy can't fix.

I'm really close to the max weight capacity right now and have installed sumo springs from supersprings.com with really good results. I am probably going to order some recently discovered heavy duty coil springs from a Canadian source just to try and get a little more ride-height back. Right now it sits level but a little forward rake and additional ground clearance in the back wouldn't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got this aluminum 7' folding ramp for my mobile rack and the length make the ascend/descent grade manageable.
Love your ramp! We have a live band and travel using our Sprinter. We have to lift our huge gear case of stuff down by hand and would LOVE to have a ramp. Where do you get a ramp like this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts