Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

2017 metris-going to replace plugs and coils

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Lane on the fence 
#1 ·
I have almost 70k on my Van, runs like a champ, never had issues, service A at dealer, B as well I think and some regular maintenance at a local mercedes shop, oil changes and checks. Been doing my own oil changes, just replaced my brake pads and rotors, air filters...was gonna replace fluids, but they are so **** clean?
Anyway-I just bought a 2012 preowned mini cooper for our kid, low miles but done a ton of DIY on that via youtube videos and manuals, I can't find very much info on metris!

So-replacing spark plugs, I read on some older threads about INDEXING the plugs, but, seems like the jury is out?
Also, I am of the mind to replace the ignition coils while im at it? despite no running issues, I just wanna get it all out of the way.

Thoughts?
(as in, changing both plugs and coils....what model plugs and coils should I use, only original mercedes?)

#2 ·
See attached. I haven't done it myself yet. According to the book, plugs go in at 23 Nm torque. I think this accomplishes the "indexing," although the book doesn't describe it as such.

Attachments

#3 ·
What book is that from? I need it! haha
Will definitely torque to spec, I read an older thread about another owner NOT indexing them because when he pulled them out of OEM stock engine, they werent even indexed haha.

Coils-i've always been taught, when replacing plugs, replace the coils too-but, these coils are pricey (about $70usd per coil)....compared to the ones I just put in my mini cooper at $20 haha.

#5 ·
I think that was me regarding the oem plugs not indexted. I marked them before removal and they were all over the place but not 180 out,which might be problem. You really don't index them, in the way people think Like using shims. They come with a Different type of washer that doesn't crush It does so it does somewhat keep them in a range. I wouldn't change out coils, not yet. I'm at 95,000 and all is well.

#7 ·
Have not yet had to replace the plugs in my Metris. But other cars over the years plugs became due to be changed on miles. Never once did the engine react (good or bad) to new plugs. This is comforting for it tells me the plugs at least last and do a good job up to (and probably a bit beyond) their scheduled replacement miles.

With one car at around 140K miles on a whim I had the coils replaced along with the plugs. The plugs were not due -- they had about 10K miles left -- but the tech said while he was there and I agreed. (With this car getting the plugs (and coils) out required a partial disassembly of the very complex (twin turbos) exhaust system. Read $$$$.)

Afterwards the engine ran better. Kind of surprised me. The engine had not given any indication the coils were under performing. And I say coils because the plugs had been changed several times before on schedule and the engine never manifested any sign (good or bad) after a plug change.

#9 ·
haha, yeah, I removed those brackets which helped, the foam just tore one little piece in the back, size of a finger tip, i got it back on fine. I marked my socket too and did my best to put plugs in new in similar position, didnt think it would make a difference, but made me feel more like a scientist haha.
I need to flush tranny fluid next, I am pretty DIY friendly and mechanically inclined, but something tells me I don't wanna mess with tranny.
Anyone reckon what a tranny fluid service would cost at a local mercedes mechanic? not dealer? 300 bucks?

#10 ·
Been a long time since I did a manual transmission fluid change. And I only did it once. What a messy stinking operation.

Since then I have taken my cars in for tranny/diff fluid changes. All have been manual transmission equipped vehicles.

Don't know about the Metris procedure but with another car I owned with an 8-speed small forest animals had to be sacrificed to help ensure a good automatic transmission service. Ok, bad joke. But the procedure was complex involving having the transmission up to temperature and then at some point in the refill process running the engine shifting the automatic to I guess ensure all the oil passages were refilled. For a DIYer too easy to make a mistake and take out a $10K+ transmission. Maybe the Metris transmission is easier but I don't care. Dealer service will do it when it is time.

#11 ·
It's doable, but you need to know when the trans is at operating temp to get the fluid level right. I wouldn't attempt if you've never worked on Euro cars before.

#12 ·
I have almost 70k on my Van, runs like a champ, never had issues, service A at dealer, B as well I think and some regular maintenance at a local mercedes shop, oil changes and checks. Been doing my own oil changes, just replaced my brake pads and rotors, air filters...was gonna replace fluids, but they are so **** clean?
Anyway-I just bought a 2012 preowned mini cooper for our kid, low miles but done a ton of DIY on that via youtube videos and manuals, I can't find very much info on metris!

So-replacing spark plugs, I read on some older threads about INDEXING the plugs, but, seems like the jury is out?
Also, I am of the mind to replace the ignition coils while im at it? despite no running issues, I just wanna get it all out of the way.

Thoughts?
(as in, changing both plugs and coils....what model plugs and coils should I use, only original mercedes?)
I have a 2017 with 249,000 on it. I have the original coils still. Runs great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.