Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member on here. Seems like a great site with lots of info. I joined the metris family about 5 weeks ago. I replaced my 05 Astro van with 240k miles with a brand new 2017 metris cargo van. I own a small home service business and I work out of my truck. So having a reliable truck is crucial.

This is the first new vehicle I've ever bought. I went to the local dealer and it was pretty painless.

The first 3 weeks were awesome. The van has a lot of room so I can stock a lot of stuff, and I'm averaging around 22mpg.

Well one day I finish a job and hop in my metris to leave. As I start the van my phone rings and I answer it. All the sudden the van dies. I think that's odd. I turn the key off and start it again. Van runs fine but has a CEL. I called the dealer and made an appointment to have it looked at. It worked fine for 2 days before I brought it in.

So the dealer calls and says it was a low fuel pressure code ( I scanned it before I brought it in. P0087). They said they checked fuel pressure and everything is ok. That was on a Saturday. Monday it did the same thing. Tuesday it did the same thing. I called the dealer again. They are busy until Monday( I also got the "we need to call Mercedes" excuse). I say no problem I'll drop it off Sunday night. And I do. It's still the same code by the way.

I called them today and the service writer said they are still working one it.

Keep in mind I use this van to run my business and not having it really hurts my bottom line.

Has anyone ever had this code? The dealer doesn't seem all that interested in getting this fixed for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I used to be an auto tech before I got into the home service business so I have a pretty good idea of whats going on.

I find it hard to believe that the dealer is having this much of a hard time with it. They can't seem to give me any information other than "we have to call Mercedes" and "we are still working on it".

I have been back to the dealer every day since I dropped off to grab parts off the van. It has been in the same parking spot for the past 3 days (spots are numbered thats how I know).

Looks like I'll be finding another dealer to work on it.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They called today and said that they are going to replace the low pressure fuel pump. They don't have it in stock. They should have it tomorrow morning. So with a little bit of luck I'll have my van back tomorrow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Its too bad that many of today's mechanics aren't actual techs who can troubleshoot, but rather part replacers.

·
Registered
939 Posts
They called today and said that they are going to replace the low pressure fuel pump. They don't have it in stock. They should have it tomorrow morning. So with a little bit of luck I'll have my van back tomorrow.
The crap part about this is its probably the same part as a w205 C class, but "Sprinters" have to use "Sprinter" parts :| (I've seen this on the regular Sprinters)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I almost made it a full year lol. Same problem happened yesterday. Same symptom and same error code. I refuse to go back to the dealer I bought it from. Now starts the daunting task of getting another dealer to pick up the phone or call me back. I’ll post up what they do this time once I get it back.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Mine did something similar the other night. I started it up. Put it in gear, went about 10 ft and engine shut off. Turned off the key and restarted it. Check engine light on. Drove it home. Started it up next morning, CEL still on for a while. Then went off and hasn't acted up since. Must have been a glitch and a normal drive cycle cleared the code. IDK

·
Registered
278 Posts
Mine also stalled shortly after starting. Check engine light. P0627 'Fuel Pump A Control Circuit/Open' The check engine light was off the next morning.

Dealer replaced the fuel control unit. The very next day, it stalled again shortly after being started. Check engine light again.

Back to the dealer who replaced the fuel level sensor and the fuel pump. So far after two weeks, it hasn’t stalled again.

This was a month after the fuel smell issue where I had several fuel hoses replaced.

The dealer and I are are tired of seeing each other.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Is your van a Cargo or Passenger? Which year?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I dropped my van off at the dealer today. The check engine light came on and off a few times since I made the appointment. My other complaint is that there is a strong coolant smell and I have to top off the coolant on a 1 year old vehicle several times. My 04 Sierra 2500HD hasn’t used a drop in the 12 years I’ve owned it.

I brought it to a different dealer this time. The one I bought it from was terrible.

They called later in the day and tell me the check engine light is off and there are no error codes stored(that’s odd cuz I checked it the first time and never cleared the codes. The other 3 times it happened I never checked them). So this time I give the service writer a brief history on my background (I was a mechanic for 12years). So I explained that that check engine lights do not come on for no reason. At that point the conversation changed. No mention of the coolant smell/consumption. He did mention that my brakes were very low. I just did an oil change and rotate last weekend. The rears were a little low but they have plenty of time on them.

I’m at a loss with MB in general and it is confirming my concerns with buying a German made vehicle. Once it is out of warranty (if I make it that far) I think I will be trading this thing in. I hate to do it it cuz I love the truck but it really says something when multiple dealers can’t fix it.

As a die hard Chevy guy it pains me to say I should have bought a Chevy or even a Ford.

·
Registered
285 Posts
So I dropped my van off at the dealer today. The check engine light came on and off a few times since I made the appointment. My other complaint is that there is a strong coolant smell and I have to top off the coolant on a 1 year old vehicle several times. My 04 Sierra 2500HD hasn’t used a drop in the 12 years I’ve owned it.

I brought it to a different dealer this time. The one I bought it from was terrible.

They called later in the day and tell me the check engine light is off and there are no error codes stored(that’s odd cuz I checked it the first time and never cleared the codes. The other 3 times it happened I never checked them). So this time I give the service writer a brief history on my background (I was a mechanic for 12years). So I explained that that check engine lights do not come on for no reason. At that point the conversation changed. No mention of the coolant smell/consumption. He did mention that my brakes were very low. I just did an oil change and rotate last weekend. The rears were a little low but they have plenty of time on them.

I’m at a loss with MB in general and it is confirming my concerns with buying a German made vehicle. Once it is out of warranty (if I make it that far) I think I will be trading this thing in. I hate to do it it cuz I love the truck but it really says something when multiple dealers can’t fix it.

As a die hard Chevy guy it pains me to say I should have bought a Chevy or even a Ford.
Sounds like Mercedes corporate doesn't pay their dealers much money for warranty work. I'm sure that $1000 dollar brake job he was pushing pays more. Lol

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just get through the warranty and then find a good independent shop that cares.

I have owned VWs for many years and just figured this kind of dealer service runaround was normal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well I almost made it a full year lol. Same problem happened yesterday. Same symptom and same error code. I refuse to go back to the dealer I bought it from. Now starts the daunting task of getting another dealer to pick up the phone or call me back. I’ll post up what they do this time once I get it back.
Same here, except I never went to the dealer as the CEL went off too on it's own and the van hasn't acted up since. Until yesterday. When it died shortly after starting. CEL went on. But, It was off this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if the hot weather has something to do with it. IDK

·
Registered
397 Posts
I second the statement on going for a good independent MB shop, they will be diligent in fixing the issue where the dealer often just throws parts at it. I am lucky that I have a couple pretty decent dealers around here but I do often go to the independent shop.

VW service is WAY worse than MB, I had a (new) 2013 VW for one year....it was in 5 times through the year for small dumb issues (outside normal service), each time service was rude and incompetent. The last straw was them not securing the under body shield in the middle of winter after an oil change, so it fell down and became a scoop and forced snow and salt/slush up into the engine compartment. They refused to clean the engine compartment, OR replace the cover, they just bandaided it back on even though it was heavily damaged. Traded it two months later. I've never had any significant issues with MB service except with one shady independent shop.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Same here, except I never went to the dealer as the CEL went off too on it's own and the van hasn't acted up since. Until yesterday. When it died shortly after starting. CEL went on. But, It was off this morning. I'm beginning to wonder if the hot weather has something to do with it. IDK
Oh my no... I had the stall after start issue several times last summer. And, it always happened when hot. The dealer made four attempts to fix by swapping in new parts like fuel pump, fuel pump controller, fuel level senor, and finally the main engine control unit. After the last fix, which was in late September, "the problem went away" but then so did the hot temperatures. It's going to be mid 90's this weekend and next week, so I fear when I take the van out, I'm going to see the stall problem again.

Sigh. Fortunately, it's only ever stalled shortly (30 seconds) after starting, and the check engine light remains on for less than 24 hours after the incident before going out. If it recurs, I won't even attempt to bug the dealer for a fix. I'll just accept it as one of the endearing quirks of my Metris.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Oh my no... I had the stall after start issue several times last summer. And, it always happened when hot. The dealer made four attempts to fix by swapping in new parts like fuel pump, fuel pump controller, fuel level senor, and finally the main engine control unit. After the last fix, which was in late September, "the problem went away" but then so did the hot temperatures. It's going to be mid 90's this weekend and next week, so I fear when I take the van out, I'm going to see the stall problem again.

Sigh. Fortunately, it's only ever stalled shortly (30 seconds) after starting, and the check engine light remains on for less than 24 hours after the incident before going out. If it recurs, I won't even attempt to bug the dealer for a fix. I'll just accept it as one of the endearing quirks of my Metris.
Keep us posted. Also, I never understood why the engineers choose to put the ECM under the hood in the Hot @ss engine bay. Doesn't make sense to me. I think the trunk would be a better place. But, i'm sure that would require longer wire runs and more cost.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts