Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all, great forum with a lot of helpful information. I just purchased a 2017 Cargo with 6,000 miles on it, and Im looking forward to using it for work/play.

I searched and can't find an answer so here goes: do all the metris vans come with the same harnesses installed regardless of the options ordered? Say if I wanted to upgrade to heated mirrors or heated leather seats; if I wanted to add overhead lighting, etc would it be as simple as purchasing the proper parts and changing them out....ie: will the wiring be there?

also I'll throw my vote in that the audio 15 system is like going back to 1992. I bought a time machine? The USB port wont even recognize my iphone, lol. ironically both made in the same year...

okay thanks for this great resource and I look forward to learning and sharing!
jb

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
1992? Come on. 2002 is closer; it’s roughly the same system introduced on the W211 Eclass.

It’s old but it’s easy to use and easy on the eyes. I actually like the interface better than the (recently replaced) pre mbux command interface. I haven’t tried MBUX yet but I suspect I’ll prefer the system on here to it as well.

I plan on putting a couple of decades of miles at 25-30k miles a year on this thing; a double din based non-integrated unit is much preferable to the kinds of non-replaceable stuff found on the new cars.

·
Registered
401 Posts

Standard Radio in a 1992 Mercedes....

The issue with car electronics is that the life and development cycle of a smartphone is about 1-2 years in these modern times, where a car audio system is closer to 8-10 years, and was developed prior to the car hitting the road, and had to meet the standards of the devices available at that time.

MB could have put a higher end unit like the audio 20 in the Metris, or at least made it an upgrade option. But as with all options, it would then cost more, then people would complain about that.

Personally it doesn't bother me that much....its way better than what my 2005 C-class wagon (or any of my other cars except my GLK) have/had. Also the interface is the same as the click wheel in my GLK, except transcribed to 4 buttons and a knob....and I appreciate that coordination of design.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m fine with it, just wish it was up to date.

More so...any insight on my question re: the wiring harnesses?

Thanks again guys!

That picture ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sorry not to join the barrage GML and paw, the Audio 15 is a sorry excuse of an outdated system, just like the nav. I can't believe it's worth your defense.

To the OP, welcome. I am not an expert, but from what I've gleaned here, you should not assume that your build has a common wiring harness. The Dealer Order Guide notes several items that cannot be retrofitted, such as the auxillliary battery, EK1 body builder connector, and the parametric module PSM ED5.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Who defended? I claimed it was a 17-year-old system. I’m just keeping it real, it’s not a 27-year-old system.

I’m a Luddite; simple and old fashioned appeal to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts