Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently on a roadtrip with my family to North Carolina from Florida in our 2016 Metris, and after driving about 375 miles the AC stopped blowing cold air. The fan continued to function, but the ac was blowing very little cold air. It was as if the compressor had shut off. I stopped to quickly take a look and ensure the pulley and compressor were running, and everything seemed fine. However, being on a I-95 roadside in 96 degree weather with a car full of kids and wife is no fun. We rolled down the windows and drove to an overnight stay in Savannah. After being parked a few hours, I returned to the car to take another look. Upon starting it up, the A/C started working again! It quickly cooled down the interior to the temp on the front display panel.

Has anyone experienced any issues like this?

·
Registered
289 Posts
It sounds like a intermittent problem. It obviously has refrigerant, so it might be a reset..cut car off and back on fixes it. I think Lucas electronics made some of this vehicle. Sometimes mine will act up...then it starts being normal.

The other thing is, when it says it's time to get fuel...don't look at the clock...it's always wrong. And the fuel remaining is wrong too. Plan ahead lol. I do love this van though.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Your evaporator may have iced up.The ice will fill the gaps between the fins and severly hamper heat transfer. Stop running the compressor for a while and the ice melts and the AC works again. keep it running while iced up can damage the compressor My duaghter had a 1971 (?) or so Toyota Carina (yes, Carina) in about 1986. I had got it cheap, put new tires on it and painted it shocking pink, per her request. That car would do this occasionally. Seemed to happen on really humid days to the best of my recollection.

From the above link.

So you went for a road trip or a long drive, and after 30 minutes of driving realized that your AC suddenly stopped working or switched to blowing warm air. The cold air returns shortly, and the cycle repeats itself for as long as you are driving. What’s wrong with your car?

Intermittent cooling is often caused by the components of your vehicle’s AC system freezing up. Typically an iced over evaporator is the culprit. An evaporator covered in ice can’t cool the air, so you would have to wait until the ice melts, which is why the cold air eventually returns. There may be numerous issues causing the icing—from a dirty cabin air filter to a blocked evaporator drain or an overcharged system. Look for puddles of water under your car—this could be a sign of a freezing problem.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Your evaporator may have iced up.
I live in low humidity California, but on road trips east of the Rockies, i've had the evaporator ice up a dozen or so times. the airflow is very reduced and not cold. If I press the AC button to turn it off, the airflow gradually increases over 10-15 minutes blowing cool (not cold) air even though the AC button is off.

the drain isn’t completely clogged as it drips water on the pavement when parked after the AC has been running, but the drain could be partially clogged. I don’t know how to resolve that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings.. I just experienced a very similar issue with my 2016 Metris that has just under 70k miles. I was curious if you ever diagnosed the issue or have any tips/suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
276 Posts
I never did anything actively to try and resolve my icing issue other than crawl under the van hoping to find the drip tube opening, but while I could find a wet spot on a support for the plastic tray under the engine, I never found the tube opening.

But, this summer, over the period of a month or so, the A/C effecitiveness dropped off quickly, until it didn't blow cold air at all. The dealer said the refrigerant was all gone, and they couldn't find the leak. They pumped it up with refrigerant and dye. No luck. I picked it up and have driving 10,000 miles since, including in humid regions which previously caused problems.

But, here we are, 10,000 miles later, and the A/C still works fine, and I haven't seen any icing issues. I can't imagine refilling the refrigerant was related, but perhaps the mechanic also cleaned out the drain line?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never did anything actively to try and resolve my icing issue other than crawl under the van hoping to find the drip tube opening, but while I could find a wet spot on a support for the plastic tray under the engine, I never found the tube opening.

But, this summer, over the period of a month or so, the A/C effecitiveness dropped off quickly, until it didn't blow cold air at all. The dealer said the refrigerant was all gone, and they couldn't find the leak. They pumped it up with refrigerant and dye. No luck. I picked it up and have driving 10,000 miles since, including in humid regions which previously caused problems.

But, here we are, 10,000 miles later, and the A/C still works fine, and I haven't seen any icing issues. I can't imagine refilling the refrigerant was related, but perhaps the mechanic also cleaned out the drain line?

Right on and thank you. I believe the drain is a black rubber tube on the underside of the driver side rear area.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts