Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got whacked on the expressway with a pebble (at the least the size of the impact crater) that caught the driver side windshield along seat & seal mid way up the frame. It was LOUD but took about 10 minutes finally start spreading towards the center of the windshield....about a 1/3rd of the way there.

MB could take care of the R&R for about $1800.
A windshield service nearby had a price around $600.

Labor and paying for a nice show room aside....any thoughts on a aftermarket manufacturer with a better product? I'm not really sure what a MB windshield has that would warrant such a difference in the job. The electronics on the vehicle do not involve rain sensors....it's the basic for the 2016.

Thanks!

Dan Turner
Conyers, Ga

·
Registered
2020 cargo 126wb
270 Posts
Any vehicle insurance I’ve ever had (NY) had been full glass included in the collision & comprehensive coverage. I’ve had two windshields replaced plus one of those plastic injections to prevent a star chip from spreading in the past 20 years at zero cost to me.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
Cheap stuff is cheap. If you are getting the MB glass installed by a third party without all the dealer niceties, go for it. If you are getting inferior glass that might be ok...

or possibly the glass you are getting will leave a pebble sized crater in your forehead next time. In any case your insurance should cover a OEM spec glass replacement at no cost or insurance hike to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Coolio!! I had just assumed my $2500 deductible was going to kill any chance of the my insurer contributing to the cause. I knew little hidden secrets were out there in various kinds of coverages...such as a pressured water line inside the house that fails and damages the house...is a covered item with running the rates up. I didn't look for a windshield replacement clause in the auto policy because I had someone break thru the rear passenger window to lift a briefcase out of an elderly MB 560SEL that didn't get automatic coverage because it was not a road hazard incident.

I'll be looking thru the fine print this morning. Thanks GMEdition!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had the windshield on my 2016 smashed by a rock kicked up by a truck a couple of years back. I called my MB dealer and asked them who they recommended to replace it. Turns out they like to have the windshield replacement tech come and do it at their dealership. So I called my van insurance company and they agreed to have MB's recommended company do it rather than their own choice. It all worked out well except the first MB replacement windshield came into the parts department with a broken radio antenna connection and I had to wait for a second windshield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the windshield on my 2016 smashed by a rock kicked up by a truck a couple of years back. I called my MB dealer and asked them who they recommended to replace it. Turns out they like to have the windshield replacement tech come and do it at their dealership. So I called my van insurance company and they agreed to have MB's recommended company do it rather than their own choice. It all worked out well except the first MB replacement windshield came into the parts department with a broken radio antenna connection and I had to wait for a second windshield.
Thanks Popup!!

I just sent a note to my insurer within the last 10 minutes to ask about coverage....so it's encouraging. I didn't mention any other quotes from Safelite or other after market...just that MB strongly recommends the OEM and installation.

We'll see what happens.

Good holiday to you!!

Dan Turner
Conyers,Ga

·
Registered
869 Posts
Even if you don't have an OEM parts rider, most insurance policies will let you pay up to get OEM glass. I have always insisted on OEM glass (VW, Ford) as the after-market stuff is noticeably not as nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to go back with the original replacement items...with the dealership in the metro Atlanta area.

I'll get a nice Benz to tool around in while the R&R takes place.

As for the insurance assistance...it's something that I could have purchased early on when I took delivery. Coulda - woulda - shoulda. But the advice is pretty much as always...."save your money for the big stuff" and "don't trigger the policy reaction by a claim that isn't the 'big stuff' " with the rationale about not paying higher premiums for the lower deductible PLUS the increase that would happen after filing the claim to follow each year.

It half arse makes sense.
It full arse tells me to shop around before the next policy renewal.<G

Ehhhh....these folks have always been pretty good with taking my money but probably go full crayfish in walking upstream backwards to fast talk their way out of giving back the money paid in...without a struggle.

And a penalty.

I could probably find some rationalization in spending that type of cash with a calculator, a shot glass and a qt of "Don Julio"...about the 2nd or 3rd shot...I could do away with the calculator.

Just dam

Dan Turner
Conyers, Ga

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had my windshield replaced recently. one thing that I noticed, and really appreciate is the markings that tell firefighters where it is safe to cut the A pillars. I don’t know if aftermarket glass has that on them. It is the myriad little things that set top brands apart from the rest.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Most dealers are rip offs. After market is fine. I had my BMW WS replaced by safe guard???..safe something. One of the big guys. They did a great job and my WS even has rain sensor for automatic wiping. Fraction of the cost of the dealer.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Most dealers are rip offs. After market is fine. I had my BMW WS replaced by safe guard???..safe something. One of the big guys. They did a great job and my WS even has rain sensor for automatic wiping. Fraction of the cost of the dealer.
Yeah, i know who your talking about. I'll never use them again. The kid fringed my a-pillar trim with his cable(wire) or whatever they use to break the adhesive bond on my Infiniti. Another time i had a chip repair done and they ended up breaking my windshield. And then still charged my insurance for the chip repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got whacked on the expressway with a pebble (at the least the size of the impact crater) that caught the driver side windshield along seat & seal mid way up the frame. It was LOUD but took about 10 minutes finally start spreading towards the center of the windshield....about a 1/3rd of the way there.

MB could take care of the R&R for about $1800.
A windshield service nearby had a price around $600.

Labor and paying for a nice show room aside....any thoughts on a aftermarket manufacturer with a better product? I'm not really sure what a MB windshield has that would warrant such a difference in the job. The electronics on the vehicle do not involve rain sensors....it's the basic for the 2016.

Thanks!

Dan Turner
Conyers, Ga
I've got a pair of Metris 16' sliding door solid OEM WINDOWS , looking for a home! Email me at [email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts