Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is in service today for checking the squeaking brakes and Becker Map Pilot problems so they gave me a loaner GLC 300. Just a few impressions:

- It drives pretty close to Metris. It has shorter wheelbase (longer than CLA 250) and same rear wheel drive. To my surprise it's handling pretty good on freeway, on local it's short enough to move around.

- Starting price is pretty high at almost $40,000 but not like Metris has nothing at $33,500 it has almost all the options with just a few add-ons less than $1K. Sticker is $40,8xx.xx while my Metris was $45,xxx.

- Not good for 8 passengers but roomy enough for 5.

- Seats are similar MB Tex.

- The steering wheel is a little higher than Metris. I'm not sure there's an adjustment or not but I tried to look and didn't find any. Don't know about Metris either.

- To get to Eco Mode I think I push the lever (or whatever you call it) only once: no M in the middle between C and E.

- I like the 8 speed with Eco Mode and they shift wonderfully.

I don't know 2017 is different than 2016, I doubt it because it's a new model, but I would swap to this GLC 300 if I don't need to carry more passengers. It's much better than the few GLA loaner I've got before. Highly recommended.

Just my $0.000002.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Normally you would want the van for doing van stuff. So it depends where your prorities lie. I'd love a GLK ('15), but it will be much smaller if I want to do bigger things, but good for moderate off roading to remote fishing holes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no way to edit my OP, yes it has 9 speeds.

Just because of traffic yesterday at rush hour I've seen only speed 8. Today I saw up to 9 but in local streets max I've seen is 7. Just wonder sometimes I've seen 2 while waiting at red lights?

It's handling better than the Metris in corners or on/off ramps to me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldn't use one for off roading. A first gen ML or ever better a used G-class is what you want if you want to actually off road.
In Europe they have off road packages for the GLK. I'd get the 17" steelies and on/off road tires. Key word is moderate for those unmaintained logging roads and such. I like the GLKs short overhangs.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got my van back today after 2 days and the first thing I noticed is all of its rattles, the GLC is much quieter.

Off topic, about fixing my van:
1. They didn't do anything with the squeaking brakes, still 95% of the pads after 5500 miles. They said they couldn't hear it except 1 time early morning then gone and it's normal??? On the way home the noise is still there, I guess I need to record it and bring it to a third dealer (this is the first time at a second dealer I didn't buy it from) to show them.

2. The rattles in the back they said it's from the second seat lock latch (I did mention about the loose heat shield) so they just take it out and lube them and it's gone. Need more time with passengers in the back to check if it's true.

3. Navigation got an error message about "missing internal battery or defective battery ..." and weeks later it stuck at the screen of Becker Pilot Logo: they updated the firm ware for the navigation. I'm not sure the Benz is having that update or not (already got updated the radio few months back) so need Rob here to check it for us.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Semi metallic pads will squeal the odd time. Its normal, don't stress.

Rattles; The trick is finding them, easy fix usually.

Every vehicle has its own quirks.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've had my Metris in to two different dealers - Beverly Hills (where it was purchased) and Keyes in Van Nuys. I've been trying to track down a speed-sensitive (the faster I go, the faster the clicking goes) click/grind from the front end. No luck yet (I thought it had gone away on it's own after a bit, but it came back today...) but was interesting to note that Beverly Hills gives me a loaner while Keyes does not.

Keyes says they don't do it for commercial vehicles.

Interesting that it's a dealer-by-dealer decision.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had my Metris in to two different dealers - Beverly Hills (where it was purchased) and Keyes in Van Nuys. I've been trying to track down a speed-sensitive (the faster I go, the faster the clicking goes) click/grind from the front end. No luck yet (I thought it had gone away on it's own after a bit, but it came back today...) but was interesting to note that Beverly Hills gives me a loaner while Keyes does not.

Keyes says they don't do it for commercial vehicles.

Interesting that it's a dealer-by-dealer decision.

Well, if you purchased it at Beverly Hills, surely they will accommodate. Same goes with servicing. If they get to know you, you'll receive extra attention over time.
I believe most brand dealers are fickle like that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh, absolutely - but I got the distinct message that the Keyes policy was no loaners on commercial vehicles. I'm guessing this came into being when their only true commercial vehicle was the Sprinter - but now that the Metris falls under the same corporate umbrella and product positioning, they just carry that policy over - which would be interesting if a family came in with their passenger Metris...

I also think that if you brought your Keyes-purchased Metris into Beverly Hills, they would give you a loaner.

·
Banned
2,517 Posts
Not sure why you wouldn't give a loaner. The main profit center of most car dealerships is the service department. Loaners encourage you to use them.

Some are silly that way. Not sure what my dealers general policy is on Sprinter/Metris loaners. I get them but I've been servicing cars there for 18 years now. If I haven't dropped 20k in repairs and service there yet my mind would be blown.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So is there a firmware update for the Navigation?

The reason I ask because they wrote down on the document they checked and inflated all tires at 44PSI but NOT when I double check last night. So chance is they didn't do anything with the Nav either.

Only Rob can help us here.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Only Rob can help us here.
Ha, and in the mean time, I've got my right slider door panel off STILL cause I've got no time to look into my own van and I don't trust anyone to drive my van.

I'm going on a trip next weekend, I'll definitely have it I there before that. I'll keep in touch on the updates.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts