Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Ive been a lurker here mostly because I love my Van and havent gotten around to mucking with it too much, but I noticed an issue the other day with my AC unit.

The vents over the rear seats are not blowing any air. I purchased the car used and when I bought it, I noticed the rear AC blower wouldn't activate unless the button labeled REAR was pressed, and the airflow wasn't noticable unless you pressed the fan button to increase the level of fan to almost the highest setting. You could hear the fan in operation. I was using the rear area for cargo only for the past 6 or so months so the seats are removed. Not needing the rear AC running, I kept it off. Now the seats are back in place and I can't feel any air blowing out of the vents.

Has anyone had experience with the rear AC? Does your AC blow cold air from the vents? Is this a Compressor problem, or is the rear AC system separate?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have never noticed really heavy air blowing out of the roof vents, although you do find some. The rear a/c system is indeed switched off if the button isn’t activated. As a general word of caution, I would not leave auto HVAC systems in general and MB units in particular In a non operative state for long periods of time.

The primary a/c Vent for the rear is a vent located on the floor just behind the drivers side rear sliding door. If You set the a/c to high, with the engine running and the car having been driven recently (the system doesn’t work great on hot days when idling on high operation unless you have the enhanced a/c package as the condenser is inadequate for such a use) and you can’t feel plenty of cold air coming from it (or worse can’t figure out what I’m talking about) it is not workingproperly.

·
Registered
201 Posts
...As a general word of caution, I would not leave auto HVAC systems in general and MB units in particular In a non operative state for long periods of time.
I am new to MB, having just got my cargo Metris (2020). In the past I have not been in the habit of keeping my A/C on during the winter except very occasionally to remove excess moisture from the interior. Would you recommend keeping the A/C on year-round?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I’d reccomend having it on at least some of the time each day. It’s not the basic concept of it being off that’s a problem; it’s sustained lack of use. They seize up and mold up and all kinds of nonsense like that when continually left off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, Ive been a lurker here mostly because I love my Van and havent gotten around to mucking with it too much, but I noticed an issue the other day with my AC unit.

The vents over the rear seats are not blowing any air. I purchased the car used and when I bought it, I noticed the rear AC blower wouldn't activate unless the button labeled REAR was pressed, and the airflow wasn't noticable unless you pressed the fan button to increase the level of fan to almost the highest setting. You could hear the fan in operation. I was using the rear area for cargo only for the past 6 or so months so the seats are removed. Not needing the rear AC running, I kept it off. Now the seats are back in place and I can't feel any air blowing out of the vents.

Has anyone had experience with the rear AC? Does your AC blow cold air from the vents? Is this a Compressor problem, or is the rear AC system separate?
I had this exact problem and the dealership replaced the a fan inside the back panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts