Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, had a tps go off about 90 miles from home on my Getaway with 17” alloy 5 spoke and 235/55/r17 Contis over the weekend. Found a screw in the tire. No issues getting the spare down and on. It was a Goodyear 225/55/r17 on steel. But I wasn’t thrilled about the 50 mph label and/or 70 mile distance warning we got from a few sources (little fuzzy on those). Had a heck of a time finding a quick source for a replacement tire - but was lucky to find a place able to patch and I could zip home on the highway.

this got me to thinking about the long distance trips we take through remote areas and what a PITA it could be dealing with a flat… which led to the following question: is it possible to store a “matching” alloy wheel with 235/55/r17 under the van so I could do a straight swap and continue on our adventure and then get the damaged tire fixed / replaced once back in civilization?

understand the downsides of letting alloy hang out under the van and would take steps to protect - just wondering if it’s possible.

If so, then do I switch to 5 tire rotation?

also - per youtube (So consider the source) some - maybe pre- ‘21 models - have a plastic protector for the spare. This is wasn’t there on mine.

Anyone do something similar?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That’s an option too- might not work on sidewall issues, but something to think about. Here’s a pic of the spare.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

And my expert service advisor….

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood

I also found an early thread on here about limits and noting a potential concern about differential weight between alloy and steel even in full size tire.

·
Super Moderator
Metris Cargo 135 2020
1,046 Posts
I'm thinking that is a "cya" sticker and bupkus ...

We have a full size spare ... not a donut wheel. That is a standard steel rim as seen on countless vans + standard oem issue tire suitable for highway driving and properly rated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi folks, had a tps go off about 90 miles from home on my Getaway with 17” alloy 5 spoke and 235/55/r17 Contis over the weekend. Found a screw in the tire. No issues getting the spare down and on. It was a Goodyear 225/55/r17 on steel. But I wasn’t thrilled about the 50 mph label and/or 70 mile distance warning we got from a few sources (little fuzzy on those). Had a heck of a time finding a quick source for a replacement tire - but was lucky to find a place able to patch and I could zip home on the highway.

this got me to thinking about the long distance trips we take through remote areas and what a PITA it could be dealing with a flat… which led to the following question: is it possible to store a “matching” alloy wheel with 235/55/r17 under the van so I could do a straight swap and continue on our adventure and then get the damaged tire fixed / replaced once back in civilization?

understand the downsides of letting alloy hang out under the van and would take steps to protect - just wondering if it’s possible.

also - per youtube (So consider the source) some - maybe pre- ‘21 models - have a plastic protector for the spare. This is wasn’t there on mine.

[/QUO

I noted the 50 MPH sticker on my spare. Well, the spare is the same as the other 4 H-rated (130 MPH max) Continentals that came with Vito, and the steel wheel is standard without the aluminum wheel option, so the only thing that has a 50 MPH limit is the sticker. Ridiculous, maybe MB had extra "donut" spare stickers lying around.

·
Registered
2021 Driverge Getaway
37 Posts
I had similar concerns when I've had flats with the same wheel/tire combinations. I concluded from my web surfing that the small differences between the alloy wheel and the steel spare could damage the drive train somehow over long distances at higher speeds. When I read that I slowed down but did not panic if I went over 50.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had similar concerns when I've had flats with the same wheel/tire combinations. I concluded from my web surfing that the small differences between the alloy wheel and the steel spare could damage the drive train somehow over long distances at higher speeds. When I read that I slowed down but did not panic if I went over 50.
FYI - I bit the bullet and got the extra matching wheel. It is very, very tight with the van loaded but a dip in pavement got the clearance needed and then it tucked up nicely. I would guess a jack to raise left rear corner would work too. Just did a trip through remote areas which and was glad for the peace of mind. Of course, now that I have it I won’t need to use it!

·
Registered
2016 Metris 7 Passenger Explorer Conversion Van
9 Posts
Maybe the wheel itself is a generic part and is limited to 50 mph on other vehicles when a compact tire is fitted.
Measure the OD of the spare vs the other tires. A wheel/tire that is designed to fit the hub with the proper offset will not damage the drivetrain. Different ODs will negatively impact the drive train ONLY if used on a drive axle. If you have 4 wheel drive, you would be limited to ~1/2 inch difference in OD with no issues. Otherwise, put the smaller tire on the steering axle.

Read this: If the 2 tires have the same designations, there should be no problem using the spare normally. If the spare has a "T", then it's a temporary spare & you should adhere to the limitations specified.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts