Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How standard is the 5x112 across MB? I know the Vito can come with 16" wheel so I am trying to figure out what used wheel options are out there for 16" rims for winter tires.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Go to Tire Rack, put in 2016 Metris, ask for Winter tire and wheel packages, and let them show you. You'll find a wide choice, with wheels as cheap as $109/wheel silver, $116/wheel black paint. Also, see my post in Winter Cometh thread (#11)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would recommend that you go with silver, it will look cleaner since road salt can make the black look hazy, the same thing happens with body paint as you might have noticed. On the flip side black shows all the winter mess which helps if you like to know all the dirt is off and salt which can contribute to rusting if there are scratches right down to the metal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd prefer to stay with used MB take offs rather than rims of an unknown quality (recognize tire rack stands behind their products). Wheel color is not generally a concern when choosing a set of winter rims.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Meh, I bought steelers from Discount tire direct for my Volvo, no problems, Uniqe wheels is the manufacturer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Or even the classifieds section of other forums, well established forums, often you can get some really good deals from trustworthy people, Craigslist is great too but of course buyers are more skeptical on their, just have to do your due diligence.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Following up. Picked up a set of '02 S500 wheels. They are 7.5x16 ET46. Had been looking for some Merc 7x16s but they all seem to have 30 or 36 offsets which was too big of a delta against the 50 offset on the van. Will be running 215/65r16 Michelin X-ice tires. Will try and post picts at some point.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally took a pict. Needed to buy some S500 lug bolts, used Febi/Bilstein pn: W0133-1909398, which can be had for around $4 vs the $8 that MB wants. The Metris uses 14mm bolts like the heavier mercs while the e and c class use 12mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not sure how exhaustive the list is but none of the e or c class cars in the local yards had 14mm hardware.

·
Registered
939 Posts
W204 I think are the same size. I think it's same as 212, 204, 164, 166, 221, etc. The newer ones in the last 10 years or so. Quite a few actually. Almost all of them have the 5x112

·
Registered
29 Posts
16" STANDARD PASSENGER TIRES?

Has anyone explored the idea of running a 16" tire(225/60-16) with a standard(S) load rating?

I ask because: I would be interested in downsizing wheel size to gain tire sidewall. This is common when mounting winter tires. Benefits could be: ride comfort, price reduction, weight reduction. The problem is there seems to be a very limited choice of standard all-season tires with a load rating of XL(standard on cargo Metris) in a 16".

If you rarely carry a heavy load or tow... would standard load rating be alright?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tirerack search shows: Rial M10, 16 x 7.5, 45mm offset

I'm assuming they fit. But true, clearance could be tight depending on spoke design.

Thanks for the thoughts.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does the offset have to be 45 mm?

After a year or so of lurking on this site I finally pulled the trigger. Now I'm trying to get my head around how to run it in winter.

Need studded snowies I know. But what about wheels? What difference does offset make?

Can I use the lug bolts for the summer stock alloy wheels on the steel wheels?

PMC Steel Wheel Black wheel (16X7, 5x112, 66.6, 50 offset) is what I am seeing on the vendor website for steel wheels.

Is 50 offset OK, or is 45 needed? I'm not quite sure what difference offset makes - last time I bought a car was more than 17 years ago...

BTW, the snowies I am considering are (all studded Gislaved - Nord Frost 100 or Pirelli - Winter Ice Zero Studded or Hakkapelitta 9 or Nordman 7

Thanks BTW to everyone on this form for the informed discussion. One thing I liked about the old Volvo sled that I used to maintain is that there was a good community of owners who shared knowledge. Seems to be the case for Metris as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Does the offset have to be 45 mm?
Just go to Tire Rack and enter in Metris/year/cargo or passenger for your vehicle. (I have no affiliation, but am a long-time satisfied customer.)

They can set you up with your choice of studdable snows and wheels with their recommendations of offsets in 16", 17", or 18" wheel sizes. They are aware of the proper offsets, and also provide the correct lug bolts/nuts for the wheels you order.

After you narrow down your choices, give them a call before you pull the trigger. I have bought both steel and alloy wheels from them in the past. Both are satisfactory, but now I only choose the alloy wheels because the price isn't that much more than steelies and they are easier to handle (I do all my own changing from summer to winter, once I get them mounted and balanced by Tire Rack). My personal favorite tires for winter studs is General Altimax Artic 12.

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tirerack information on offset:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

Lug bolts should be a match for wheel(acorn, taper, etc). Some are designed for O.E. style.

Based on some basic research:
The Metris will handle wheel sizes from 16 x 7.5 to 18 x 8.5 with a correct size tire and offset.

General rule:
Summer/Performance Wheel/Tire Combo - Wide width, Lower sidewall profile, Possibly low wheel offset to increase vehicle stability while cornering.

Winter/All Weather Grip Wheel/Tire Combo - Narrow width, Larger sidewall profile, Possibly high offset to increase clearence for wheel well and suspension due to mud/snow build up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts