Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

I’ll be on the road driving for a 10 hour block of time in mostly 100-105F heat. Can’t do the drive at night. Recent service done and I have AAA. The drive will mostly be remote mountain country. Is there anything that I should do to the van to prepare? Will this drive have a significant impact on the life of my van? Can it take it? It only has 10k on it. I’ll only be stopping for gas and occasional pullovers to pee. I’ve got it set up as a cheapo campervan. So, I won’t have to interact with the world, except for gas pumps. Sorry if these are stupid questions.

thanks, La

·
Registered
267 Posts
You don't need to do a thing. If you were hauling a heavy load on long grades in 105 might get higher coolant temps. What happens is your coolant control valve or thermostat will flow more coolant when it's hot.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I hear you Lala. I am taking forever to insulate my van and I hate working the A/C so hard. I think highway cruising at that temperature is not a problem.

You might want to monitor your typical "base" temperature sensor reading --- mine centers around 90 C, pretty regardless of conditions. I never drive it very hard. Sometimes fast though ;)

Reactions: Lala2

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in southern Arizona and regularly drive my 2016 long stretches above 100 degrees with no problems. I have the standard AC and it has worked efficiently

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! You guys have me feeling more comfortable with this trip now. I normally plug my inergy kodiak aux battery system into the 12v outlet to power the fridge etc, but I won’t stress the system this time. There is plenty of power in the kodiak to keep things going for ~4days. So, I’ll just let it do its thing without the alternator keeping it charged.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You should have nothing to worry about. I regularly tow 3500-4500lbs with my van. Up hill and down. In moderate to high heat, and occasionally in freezing temps. I watch my coolant temps like a hawk. I have never seen it budge past 90C. I do feel it get a tad sluggish in the heat with fans and full A/C, but nothing concerning and it still pulls the trailer fine. You should do just fine.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Unlike most companies these days, Mercedes has the decency to include a real temperature gage. The gauge on most automobiles is designed to demonstrate that it is operating within perceived parameters within quite a range; the gauge on the mattress is actually an accurate temperature gage.

I have no reason to believe that your van will have any problems with the trip you are proposing. However the only advice that I would give that is unique to the situation is to keep an eye on that gauge. I don’t see any problem with you providing additional draw from the electrical system; this is a Mercedes-Benz not a Toyota. The vehicle is designed to operate within a wide range of
Conditions, the one you described being well within the parameters it’s designed for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I live in Phoenix and I've driven the van in 118F degree weather.
No issues!
A/C worked very well.
Just make sure you have plenty of coolant in your tank. I recently had to add some to mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts