Mercedes-Benz Metris Forum banner

Tire Pressure sensors

10K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  hommeliquide 
#1 ·
After rotating tires, will the dash display pressure monitor correspond to new tire location automatically?

#6 ·
Should be taking possession of my new 2018 Metris passenger this week. I intend to get a spare set of wheels, considering also a set of TPMS... may be cost prohibitive/practical choice... would it compromise my warranty to run it without the TPMS? Also... anyone using the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded tires?

#10 ·
I've been a fan of studded winter tires for some years now, as we get a lot of black ice here in northern NY. Only downside is the noise from the studs. Have to run the radio a couple notches louder. I didn't know about the "recent improvements" in stud tech. I've had mostly Winterforce and General Altimax Arctic. Keep us posted how you like these Pirellis, especially relating to noise.

#11 ·
They are indeed noisy devils River. But they grip. Recently I backed up to a sliding hill with my son and when we got out of the van, we had trouble standing on the icy asphalt that I had hardly noticed when in the van.

I live in a cold coastal climate where warm moist air from the ocean hits cold arctic air - usually in the shadows on the day you need to drive some distance. So that can really turn the road into a sheet of ice. The old timers tell tails of guys strapping on skates to get to town.

So I've been running factory studded tires for some years now. I've tried Hakkas, Gislaved, and lately the Pirellis. Probably the Gislaved were the quietest, then the Hakkas, then the Pirellis. But as you say, you just crank the sound a bit and enjoy staying on the road!

#14 ·
My impression is that this may be a state law, but I haven't been able to find out for sure just yet. With the dealers I've spoken with, if you take them loose wheels without sensors they will mount their brand of sensors as part of the package when you purchase tires.

#15 ·
I have never had trouble mounting sets of rims with no sensors. Not all cars have wheel mount sensors. I think Honda and GM have vehicles that have used hub rotation sensors to infer the inflation based on rotation. If it is truly someones desire to run without sensors then it doesn't really take much to explain the lack of sensors on the wheels. To me the cost of sensors is worth it, but I can think of needs where I wouldn't bother.

#16 ·
Bother the Volvo in my signature and our Metris have snows mounted on steel wheels without sensors. The Metris snows will get sensors eventually, but the Volvo won’t. Our snows are only on from mid December to mid February.

#18 ·
Yep. I bought set of four OEM sensors off ebay for around $80. Snowies were already mounted on steel rims when I received them from the mail-order tire/wheel vendor.

Tire shop that swapped out summers that were on the van for winters charged something like $10 a wheel to put the OEM sensors in the already mounted winters, then another ten or so a wheel to bolt the newly sensored (ha!) winter tires on the van.

Would have taken me more than $10 a wheel of bother to put those sensors in myself - even though I did find a couple of you tube videos on how to do it.

Happy to be rolling on noisy tires with plenty of grip as the worst of winter rolls in.

All the very best for the New Year to forum participants. Thanks for sharing info and making the "matress" even more fun to own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.